— Single Platform Integration with Amazon Web Services, EMC, Iron Mountain, Microsoft and Nirvanix Provides Customers with First Secure, Seamless & Cost-Effective Tier of Cloud Storage —
CommVault (NASDAQ: CVLT) — OCEANPORT, NJ — February 1, 2010
- CommVault is now shipping an integrated cloud storage connector for its Simpana® software, which will enable customers to move on-premises backup and archive data securely, reliably and transparently into, and out of, private and public cloud storage without complex scripting or the addition of costly, disparate cloud gateway appliances.
- CommVault customers looking to reduce internal IT costs now have unprecedented flexibility to tier infrequently accessed backup and archive data from expensive, on-premises disk and tape storage into lower-cost cloud storage.
- Only CommVault provides enterprises with a singular platform and unique product architecture to simplify the movement, protection, archiving and eDiscovery of all types of data stored in the cloud, including Oracle and SAP databases, Microsoft Exchange and SharePoint systems as well as virtualized data. With Simpana software, customers can easily deploy embedded data deduplication and encryption modules to further reduce data management costs while securing the delivery and recovery of data stored in the cloud. To help meet compliance and eDiscovery needs, CommVault customers also can add Simpana Search to index data prior to sending it to cloud storage.
- Seamless integration with trusted cloud storage providers including Amazon Web Services, Microsoft and Nirvanix extends the unified data and information management capabilities of the Simpana software platform to the cloud. Planned integration with EMC and Iron Mountain currently underway will achieve the same benefits.
- The combination of key partner offerings and Simpana software reduces the complexity of moving and managing data in the cloud while also easing top business concerns regarding security, reliability and robust performance.
Tweet this:: @CommVault unveils #cloud optimized #Simpana software with @Amazon @CloudEMC @IronMountainInc @Microsoft @Nirvanix http://bit.ly/tHOP
CommVault Enables 'Farline™' Storage to Reduce Data Center Storage Costs and Drive Business Growth
- According to a recent CommVault survey of more than 10,000 customers worldwide, the top pain points driving implementation of a cloud storage model include growing data volumes, lengthy retention periods, large data center footprints, expensive storage infrastructure costs and storage capacity limits.
- By integrating seamlessly with cloud-storage service offerings, CommVault makes it easy for customers to efficiently and securely move infrequently accessed data into the cloud to improve on-premises asset utilization while enabling disaster recovery.
- Based on typical use cases, CommVault® software can help customers further lower cloud storage-related costs by up to 75 percent with embedded compression and deduplication, which reduces the data footprint before it is sent over the network and stored in the cloud.
- Remote offices seeking ways to solve high-cost, complex backup problems also can achieve substantial power, cost and performance benefits by consolidating backup data into the cloud.
- By easing data tiering to the cloud, CommVault enables IT organizations to re-align spending with business priorities and help drive revenue growth.
Simpana Software Eases Data Tiering to the Cloud
- CommVault Simpana software will take full advantage of native REST over HTTP connectivity to ensure tight integration with Application Programming Interfaces (APIs) from Amazon S3, EMC Atmos, Iron Mountain's Archive Services Platform, Microsoft Azure and Nirvanix SDN.
- Additional cooperation between CommVault and its cloud storage partners enables seamless tech support for joint customers.
- Shifting to a storage-as-a-service model is straightforward as CommVault customers simply create a storage policy to select cloud storage as a target. This eliminates time-consuming custom scripting or the need for disparate cloud-gateway appliances that lack application awareness.
- CommVault's modular Simpana software platform enables organizations to secure their data in-flight or at rest within the storage cloud by adding embedded FIPS-certified encryption.
- Existing customers with active maintenance contracts can download the latest CommVault Service Pack and immediately integrate with CommVault's cloud service provider partners to streamline data tiering to the cloud.
N. Robert Hammer, CommVault's Chairman, President and CEO
"The new economics of IT are compelling organizations around the globe to consider cloud-based solutions to reduce ever-increasing data storage infrastructure costs. By extending Simpana software securely, reliably and transparently to the cloud, CommVault is taking a leadership role in helping our customers fully embrace a cloud storage model to lower their hardware capital expenditures and pay for storage capacity as they need it."
Dave Russell, Research Vice President of Storage Technologies and Strategies at Gartner
"As more end users look to the cloud as an option for storing data, integrated solutions with a common management provide an option to extend data into the cloud without having to rip out and replace current infrastructures. With an influx of cloud applications in the market, the best practice is to have multiple geographically dispersed copies of data to ensure the highest level of protection and data availability."
Jon Martin, Senior Director of Cloud Infrastructure Group, EMC Corporation
"The broad availability of the EMC Atmos API helps partners like CommVault and others further push the boundaries of connecting, managing and sharing data no matter where it resides – whether it's on-premises as a private cloud or via a cloud storage service provider. By integrating CommVault's Simpana software with Atmos, joint customers will receive flexible and efficient ways to manage massive amounts of unstructured data across geographically dispersed locations."
Todd Koopersmith, Vice President, Strategic Alliances, Iron Mountain
"Customers want to feel good about the cloud storage they choose for their data. By collaborating with Iron Mountain as part of Iron Mountain's Developer Program, CommVault can now offer its end-users the security and functionality of Iron Mountain's enterprise-class cloud as well as our broader information management services. We are pleased to see this level of technical development, and we view this as further validation that security matters when it comes to protecting corporate data in the cloud."
Geoff Tudor, Co-founder and Senior Vice President of Business Development, Nirvanix
"CommVault's seamless integration with the Nirvanix Storage Delivery Network™ (SDN) will have a strong appeal to our customers looking for data awareness within enterprise cloud storage. Combining Simpana software's singular architecture approach with our SDN capabilities will enable joint customers to lower their storage TCO and reduce risks while attaining unprecedented flexibility to store and access archived files from around the globe."
Jack Vant, Systems Engineer, Boise State University
"We initially selected CommVault Simpana 8 for its single platform approach, which has allowed us to streamline our data management efforts, optimizing data availability and scaling to accommodate our growing infrastructure. With this cloud connector integration, we've already been so impressed with how quickly we were up and running and have found the integration to be seamless. We're looking forward to the additional cost savings we'll experience by using the cloud as another tier of storage for the University as the amount of data we retain continues to grow."
Pricing and Availability
- New and existing Simpana software customers can leverage cloud-based, Farline data storage with Amazon, Microsoft and Nirvanix immediately by simply purchasing a per-terabyte capacity license from CommVault that allows them to easily store data on-premises or in the cloud. Customers will need to have an established account with one of the cloud providers of choice. Customers also will be able to take advantage of the cloud connector to utilize cloud storage services from EMC and Iron Mountain at a future date.
- Simpana software capacity-based licensing lets customers seamlessly and easily grow their cloud storage infrastructure as their data needs increase.
A singular vision – a belief in a better way to address current and future data management needs – guides CommVault in the development of Singular Information Management® solutions for high-performance data protection, universal availability and simplified management of data on complex storage networks. CommVault's exclusive single-platform architecture gives companies unprecedented control over data growth, costs and risk. CommVault's Simpana® software suite of products was designed to work together seamlessly from the ground up, sharing a single code and common function set, to deliver superlative Data Protection, Archive, Replication, Search and Resource Management capabilities. More companies every day join those who have discovered the unparalleled efficiency, performance, reliability, and control only CommVault can offer. Information about CommVault is available at www.commvault.com. CommVault's corporate headquarters is located in Oceanport, New Jersey in the United States.
Safe Harbor Statement
Customers' results may differ materially from those stated herein; CommVault does not guarantee that all customers can achieve benefits similar to those stated above. This press release may contain forward-looking statements, including statements regarding financial projections, which are subject to risks and uncertainties, such as competitive factors, difficulties and delays inherent in the development, manufacturing, marketing and sale of software products and related services, general economic conditions and others. Statements regarding CommVault's beliefs, plans, expectations or intentions regarding the future are forward-looking statements, within the meaning of Section 27A of the Securities Act of 1933, as amended and Section 21E of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934, as amended. All such forward-looking statements are made pursuant to the safe harbor provisions of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. Actual results may differ materially from anticipated results. CommVault does not undertake to update its forward-looking statements.
©1999-2010 CommVault Systems, Inc. All rights reserved. CommVault, CommVault and logo, the "CV" logo, CommVault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, CommVault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, Quick Snap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, ROMS, and CommValue are trademarks or registered trademarks of CommVault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.