— Latest Simpana Software Enhancements Provide Application-Aware Snapshot Management & Enable Dell PowerVault Users to Leverage Secure, Cost-Effective Tier of Cloud Storage —
CommVault (NASDAQ: CVLT) — OCEANPORT, NJ — March 24, 2010
- CommVault is introducing a new extension to its snapshot backup protection client, an integral part of Simpana® v8 software, to further simplify and automatedata protection and expedite rapid recovery operations. CommVault's Simpana SnapProtect™ technology, which is now featured in the Dell PowerVault DL2100appliance, seamlessly integrates the data protection policy to control the snapshot technology within the Dell EqualLogic PS Series family of iSCSI SANs. These application-consistent snapshots provide high-speed recovery to meet critical service-level commitments while automatically tiering secondary retention copies to lower cost storage pools on the DL2100 or storage cloud end-points.
- To accommodate increased demands for application uptime, customers can effortlessly combine EqualLogic snapshots with application-aware Simpana software agents under a single end-to-end protection policy without requiring time-consuming customization or complex scripting. As a result, companies can improve SLA delivery, reduce internal IT costs and eliminate production backupwindows.
- SnapProtect policies help maximize the speed and efficiency of Dell EqualLogic snapshots to reduce the operational impact and meet recovery objectives for mission-critical applications and file systems. One-pass backup with multi-option restore operations and one-click recovery features expedite restores of entire storage volumes, distinct application stores and critical folder/file groups. Simpana software's offline mining tools also support the ability to select granular messages, documents or Active Directory components from database snapshot copies.
- As a core Simpana software feature, CommVault's SnapProtect enabler for the Dell EqualLogic PS Series can be leveraged by both new and existing customers to elevate protection of Microsoft Exchange, SQL Server, Oracle and Windows, Linux and Unix file system environments. Automated storage policies drive secondary protection copies to deduplicated disk, tape or cloud storage for longer-term retention while reducing data lifecycle costs and compliance demands.
- While Simpana software enables customers to choose their desired data protection platform, the special automated setup and disk provisioning features on the Dell PowerVault DL2100 appliance reduce administrative burdens and seamlessly connect critical data sets residing in the Dell EqualLogic array.
- CommVault has further extended its end-to-end data protection benefits by integrating its recently announced Simpana cloud storage connector directly into the Dell PowerVault DL2100. As a result, CommVault offers Dell PowerVault customers the flexibility to tier infrequently accessed backup and archive data from on-premises disk and tape storage onto low-cost private or public cloud storage platforms.
Twitter Summary: Storage pros can now combine EqualLogic snapshots with @CommVault Simpana SnapProtect on Dell PowerVault DL2100 http://bit.ly/tHOP
Fast, Simplified Data Backup, Management & Recovery across All Storage Tiers
- With automated policies and tight API integration developed jointly by Dell and CommVault, users simply select the EqualLogic snapshot option in the drop-down list, which eliminates the traditional complexity of coordinating actions, mapping application structures, creating, validating and aging off expired snapshots. Users also can monitor a consistent set of application and file system protection policies within a centralized management console to minimize operations, alerting and reporting efforts.
- End-to-end policies based on storage policy rules simplify the creation and movement of selective copies across secondary tiers of disk, tape and cloud storage to meet organizational needs while reducing total cost of ownership. Users no longer need to track uncoordinated data movement on spreadsheets across legacy backup tools as every data copy is accounted for under Simpana software's singular approach to data management and embedded reporting capabilities to streamline auditing, costing and charge-back reporting.
- The Simpana SnapProtect client ensures application-consistent recovery copies to simplify recoveries from any copy of application data while eliminating the traditional complexities of recovering applications from snapshots, transaction logs and offline copies. To accelerate recoveries, users simply pick a point in time from the protection client collection to restore the application without the need to rewrite files and data into a usable application instance.
- Companies can leverage CommVault's unique single platform architecture to help maximize performance while lowering data management costs. Embedded data deduplication, for example, reduces the storage and cost requirements of retaining the collection of SnapProtect secondary copies on disk, tape and cloud storage. In addition, data encryption can secure vaulted copies stored outside of the enterprise to ensure compliance with privacy regulations while mitigating the risks of unauthorized data exposure.
David West, Vice President of Marketing and Business Development for CommVault
"CommVault's SnapProtect integration with Dell EqualLogic is the latest example of how we're working with Dell to lower data management costs and complexities by uniting both hardware and software layers. CommVault and Dell jointly developed the API to integrate SnapProtect with Dell EqualLogic arrays in order to ensure true application awareness from beginning to end of the dataset. Furthermore, our integrated cloud connector gives Dell PowerVault DL2100 customers more options for moving, managing and protecting data across multiple storage tiers, including low-cost cloud storage."
Darren Thomas, Vice President and General Manager, Dell Enterprise Storage
"Through our partnership with CommVault we are simplifying data protection for our joint customers with enterprise requirements, to both integrate with our Dell product lines like EqualLogic, and to support flexible back end storage options like the cloud. Together we are committed to delivering industry leading data management solutions for our customers IT environment."
Pricing and Availability
- Available immediately, pricing for the SnapProtect client starts at $4,000 including support for one application.
A singular vision – a belief in a better way to address current and future data and information management needs – guides CommVault in the development of Singular Information Management® solutions for high-performance data protection, universal availability and simplified management of data on complex storage networks. CommVault's exclusive single-platform architecture gives companies unprecedented control over data growth, costs and risk. CommVault's Simpana® software modules were designed to work together seamlessly from the ground up, sharing a single code and common function set, to deliver superlative Data Backup, Archive, Replication, Search and Resource Management capabilities. More companies every day join those who have discovered the unparalleled efficiency, performance, reliability, and control only CommVault can offer. Information about CommVault is available at www.commvault.com. CommVault's corporate headquarters is located in Oceanport, New Jersey in the United States.
Safe Harbor Statement
Customers' results may differ materially from those stated herein; CommVault does not guarantee that all customers can achieve benefits similar to those stated above. This press release may contain forward-looking statements, including statements regarding financial projections, which are subject to risks and uncertainties, such as competitive factors, difficulties and delays inherent in the development, manufacturing, marketing and sale of software products and related services, general economic conditions and others. Statements regarding CommVault's beliefs, plans, expectations or intentions regarding the future are forward-looking statements, within the meaning of Section 27A of the Securities Act of 1933, as amended and Section 21E of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934, as amended. All such forward-looking statements are made pursuant to the safe harbor provisions of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. Actual results may differ materially from anticipated results. CommVault does not undertake to update its forward-looking statements.
©1999-2010 CommVault Systems, Inc. All rights reserved. CommVault, CommVault and logo, the "CV" logo, CommVault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, CommVault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, Quick Snap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, ROMS, and CommValue are trademarks or registered trademarks of CommVault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.