—Newly Available Snapshot Support for Dell Compellent Storage Arrays Combines the Speed of Snapshot-Based Protection with Application-Aware Recovery—
CommVault (NASDAQ: CVLT) — AUSTIN, TX — October 13, 2011
Traditional backup and recovery methods continue to break under the strain of today's demands for application uptime, forcing enterprise IT organizations to seek out new approaches as they struggle to meet service-level commitments, control costs and simplify their data protection strategies. CommVault and Dell continue to collaborate in an effort to automate and streamline the data management process and, at today's Dell World conference, CommVault announced new API integration between CommVault'sSnapProtect® snapshot technology and Dell Compellent storage arrays, bringing the power of SnapProtect to bear for Dell's entire portfolio of enterprise storage systems.
- Building on their long-standing partnership, CommVault and Dell are announcing new snapshot integration between the powerful SnapProtect data protection feature of CommVault® Simpana 9® software and Dell Compellent storage arrays leveraging Dell Compellent Data Instant Replay.
- To accommodate increased demands for application uptime, customers can effortlessly combine Dell Compellent pointer-based snapshots called Replays with application-aware Simpana software under a single end-to-end protection policy and management interface without requiring time-consuming customization or complex scripting. As a result, companies can improve SLA delivery, reduce internal IT costs and eliminate production backup windows.
- CommVault's SnapProtect technology, an integral part of the award-winning Simpana 9 software suite, simplifies and automates data protection and expedites rapid recovery operations by seamlessly integrating data protection policies to control the Replay technology within Dell Compellent SANs.
- These application-consistent snapshots provide high-speed recovery to meet critical service-level commitments while automatically tiering secondary retention copies to lower cost storage pools in enterprise IT environments.
- SnapProtect policies help maximize the speed and efficiency of Dell Compellent Replays to reduce operational impact and meet recovery objectives for mission-critical applications and file systems, allowing customers to enhance the value of existing storage systems.
- The integration of SnapProtect with Dell Compellent storage systems brings with it full snapshot support for Dell's entire family of storage arrays, including the Dell EqualLogic PS Series, Dell PowerVault MD storage arrays and DL Backup to Disk Appliance – Powered by CommVault.
@CommVault integrates #SnapProtect with @DellCompellent storage arrays http://bit.ly/nchySm #DellWorld
Rapid, Simplified Data Protection and Recovery from Any Storage Tier
- A core Simpana software feature, CommVault's SnapProtect enabler for Dell Compellent SANs can be leveraged by both new and existing customers to enhance protection of Microsoft Exchange, SharePoint, SQL Server, and Windows, file system environments. Automated storage policies drive secondary protection copies to deduplicated disk, tape or cloud storage for longer-term retention while reducing data lifecycle costs and compliance demands.
- With automated policies and tight API integration developed jointly by Dell and CommVault, users simply select the Compellent Replay option, eliminating the traditional complexity of coordinating actions, mapping application structures, creating, validating and aging off expired snapshots. Users also can monitor a consistent set of application and file system protection policies within a centralized management console to minimize operations, alerting and reporting efforts.
- Leveraging SnapProtect for Virtual Server Agent, Simpana software and Dell Compellent delivers the performance needed to protect even the largest, most demanding virtual server environments. Protecting hundreds of VM's in a matter of minutes while creating rapid-fire, persistent, recovery copies. These Dell Compellent hardware snapshot-based recovery copies are created with minimal impact on production systems.
- End-to-end policies simplify the creation and automate the movement of selective copies across tertiary tiers of disk, tape and cloud storage to meet organizational needs while reducing total cost of ownership. Users no longer need to track uncoordinated data movement across legacy backup tools as every data copy is accounted for under Simpana software's singular approach to data management and embedded reporting capabilities to streamline auditing, costing and charge-back reporting.
- The Simpana SnapProtect client ensures application-consistent recovery copies to simplify recoveries from any copy of application data while eliminating the traditional complexities of recovering applications from snapshots, transaction logs and offline copies. To accelerate recoveries, users simply pick a point in time from the protection client collection to restore the application without the need to rewrite files and data into a usable application instance.
- SnapProtect offers one-pass backup with multi-option restore operations and one-click recovery features expedite restores of entire storage volumes, distinct application stores and critical folder/file groups. Simpana software's offline mining tools also support the ability to select granular messages, documents or Active Directory components from database snapshot copies.
- Michael McMahon, Vice President Worldwide OEM Sales, CommVault:
"The inadequacies of legacy backup and recovery solutions are glaring in today's virtual data centers. The integration of SnapProtect with Dell Compellent storage is yet another way CommVault and Dell are continuing to strengthen our partnership by working closely together to find new, modern ways to protect enterprise IT environments and help customers leverage and extend the value of existing technology."
- Phil Soran, President, Dell Compellent:
"Dell and CommVault are helping enterprise customers reap the benefits of modern data centers. The integration of SnapProtect with Dell Compellent storage can help eliminate many of the performance challenges and migration pitfalls associated with traditional data protection platforms by improving integration, automation and scalability to work effectively in virtualized or physical environments."
About Dell World 2011
Join us at Dell World 2011 – Unlocking Innovation in a Virtual Era. Bringing together top IT visionaries, leaders and experts, Dell World attendees will learn about and share some of the most innovative strategies and techniques taking place in IT today. Learn more at www.DellWorld.com or follow #DellWorld on Twitter.
A singular vision – a belief in a better way to address current and future data management needs – guides CommVault in the development of Singular Information Management® solutions for high-performance data protection, universal availability and simplified management of data on complex storage networks. CommVault's exclusive single-platform architecture gives companies unprecedented control over data growth, costs and risk. CommVault's Simpana® software suite of products was designed to work together seamlessly from the ground up, sharing a single code and common function set, to deliver superlative Data Protection, Archive, Replication, Search and Resource Management capabilities. More companies every day join those who have discovered the unparalleled efficiency, performance, reliability, and control only CommVault can offer. Information about CommVault is available at www.commvault.com. CommVault's corporate headquarters is located in Oceanport, New Jersey in the United States.
Safe Harbor Statement
Customers' results may differ materially from those stated herein; CommVault does not guarantee that all customers can achieve benefits similar to those stated above. This press release may contain forward-looking statements, including statements regarding financial projections, which are subject to risks and uncertainties, such as competitive factors, difficulties and delays inherent in the development, manufacturing, marketing and sale of software products and related services, general economic conditions and others. Statements regarding CommVault's beliefs, plans, expectations or intentions regarding the future are forward-looking statements, within the meaning of Section 27A of the Securities Act of 1933, as amended and Section 21E of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934, as amended. All such forward-looking statements are made pursuant to the safe harbor provisions of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. Actual results may differ materially from anticipated results. CommVault does not undertake to update its forward-looking statements.
©1999-2011 CommVault Systems, Inc. All rights reserved. CommVault, CommVault and logo, the "CV" logo, CommVault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, CommVault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, Quick Snap, QSnap, SnapProtect, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, ROMS, and CommValue are trademarks or registered trademarks of CommVault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.