— Major UK Hospital Protects 40 TBs of Vital Medical Files and Patient Data While Embracing Modern Data Management to Accommodate Rapid Growth and Boost Information Governance —
CommVault (NASDAQ: CVLT) — READING, U.K. — September 28, 2011
- The Royal Cornwall Hospitals NHS Trusts (RCHT), comprising three hospitals in the United Kingdom, has deployed CommVault® Simpana® 9 software to safeguard and manage the rapid growth in important medical and patient data, and has reported cutting overall data management administration time by 40 percent.
- Averaging 600,000 patient visits each year as the principal provider of acute care services in the UK's county of Cornwall, RCHT strives to stay at the forefront of medical advances to ensure the delivery of superior healthcare services. A major part of ensuring the highest levels of patient care is protecting and retaining 40 TBs of different types of medical files and images which are stored in a highly virtualised VMware vSphere ESX environment, encompassing mirrored data centres and 33 remote backup sites. At the heart of the solution is Simpana 9's intelligent approach to archiving, indexing, and storing data centrally.
- According to RCHT, Simpana 9 now enables the IT team to automatically move older data from expensive primary to low-cost secondary storage while accommodating a wide range of retention requirements. Using Simpana software's embedded deduplication, RCHT has also reduced overall network traffic and shortened backup and restore times to drive increased operational efficiencies and cost savings.
- Thanks to Simpana software's fully integrated storage resource management(SRM) capability, a 360-degree view of both physical and virtual environments ensures the volume of data on critical application servers are reduced, simply by removing inactive data that would not need to be immediately recoverable in a disaster.
- Additionally, Simpana software's enterprise search and content classificationcapabilities allows for rapid discovery and retrieval to support compliance audits and strict medical retention requirements.
Royal Cornwall Hospitals improves backup and archiving efficiencies with @CommVault http://bit.ly/qlY167
Improving Data Management Health
- With Simpana software's SRM module, increased visibility into RCHT's environment offers the IT team unparalleled analysis and tracking of storage trends to meet evolving data management demands.
- According to RCHT, centralising data protection has reduced administration to less than five hours each week. Previously, it took up to 20 hours weekly to oversee 40 TBs of backups. Moreover, the ability to add greater functionality has enabled RCHT to move beyond data protection and fully embrace modern data management.
- With CommVault Simpana 9's capacity licensing model, RCHT has broadened its capabilities significantly without having to engage in separate cost analyses for each new feature or functionality acquired. As a result, RCHT has achieved unprecedented flexibility in supporting its VMware vSphere ESX environment.
Andi Patrick, backup and recovery specialist engineer, Royal Cornwall Hospitals NHS Trust:
- "We have all sorts of requirements for safeguarding and retaining different types of data that require sound backup, recovery and retention strategies. CommVault Simpana software not only helps us keep pace with steady data growth, it's enabled us to move beyond just protecting data to truly managing it for greater business benefit."
- "CommVault's capacity licensing alleviates a big headache for me. I no longer have to clear budget hurdles and perform in-depth cost analysis before adding a new capability, which enables me to respond so much faster and more efficiently to new business requirements."
- "Being able to keep an eye on storage growth from a single console is highly beneficial. There's so much data out there and with CommVault's SRM and content indexing, we can find data faster and easier. In the future, others will have access to a self-search capability to simplify information governance and improve the audit process."
- "We haven't had to increase capacity footprint yet, which is incredibly unusual given our constant expansions. We have a much clearer idea of where we'll be in six months or a year. With Simpana software, we'll be able to do more with our data than we thought was possible."
A singular vision – a belief in a better way to address current and future data management needs – guides CommVault in the development of Singular Information Management® solutions for high-performance data protection, universal availability and simplified management of data on complex storage networks. CommVault's exclusive single-platform architecture gives companies unprecedented control over data growth, costs and risk. CommVault's Simpana® software suite of products was designed to work together seamlessly from the ground up, sharing a single code and common function set, to deliver superlative Data Protection, Archive, Replication, Search and Resource Management capabilities. More companies every day join those who have discovered the unparalleled efficiency, performance, reliability, and control only CommVault can offer. Information about CommVault is available at www.commvault.com. CommVault's corporate headquarters is located in Oceanport, New Jersey in the United States.
Safe Harbor Statement
Customers' results may differ materially from those stated herein; certain information in this release has been provided by the customer and has not been independently verified by CommVault. CommVault does not guarantee that all customers can achieve benefits similar to those stated above. This press release may contain forward-looking statements, including statements regarding financial projections, which are subject to risks and uncertainties, such as competitive factors, difficulties and delays inherent in the development, manufacturing, marketing and sale of software products and related services, general economic conditions and others. Statements regarding CommVault's beliefs, plans, expectations or intentions regarding the future are forward-looking statements, within the meaning of Section 27A of the Securities Act of 1933, as amended and Section 21E of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934, as amended. All such forward-looking statements are made pursuant to the safe harbor provisions of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. Actual results may differ materially from anticipated results. CommVault does not undertake to update its forward-looking statements.
©1999-2011 CommVault Systems, Inc. All rights reserved. CommVault, CommVault and logo, the "CV" logo, CommVault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, CommVault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, Quick Snap, QSnap, SnapProtect, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, ROMS, and CommValue are trademarks or registered trademarks of CommVault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.