— Alaska Native Organization Reaps Simpana Software Benefits to Bolster Business Continuity, Exceed RTO & Speed Searches while Reducing Network Bandwidth Requirements with Source-Side Deduplication —
CommVault (NASDAQ: CVLT) — OCEANPORT, NJ — April 3, 2012
- Afognak Native Corporation, formed under a settlement between Congress and Alaska's indigenous people, has deployed CommVault® Simpana® software to reinforce its disaster recovery and business continuity efforts in providing its shareholders and board of directors with the highest levels of data mobility and availability.
- Afognak has grown rapidly, with 36 offices and project sites in all 50 states, so the need to safeguard vital financial, enterprise resource planning (ERP), and project management data had increased exponentially.
- Due to high bandwidth costs in Alaska, Afognak sought the most network-efficient methods for meeting its two-hour recovery time objectives (RTO) regardless of where data resided. Additionally, the company required complete system failover due to its proximity to active volcanoes and earthquake threats.
- With CommVault's modern approach to data management and capacity licensing model, Afognak has been able to beat its RTO, reduce bandwidth consumption and increase data availability and access for the company's legal department and highly distributed workforce.
- According to Afognak, Simpana software's advanced functionality has yielded unprecedented flexibility, impressive reductions in data and storage capacity along with the most WAN-efficient disaster recovery process.
How do you prepare your data center for a volcano? Afognak Native Corp. uses @CommVault #Simpana software http://bit.ly/H5f32b
CommVault Delivers a Competitive Edge
- According to Afognak, CommVault's modern data management approach is helping to transform how the company protects, retains and accesses data, making its eDiscovery efforts more efficient and giving the company an overall competitive edge.
- The combination of CommVault's embedded source-side deduplication and DASH copy capability has enabled Afognak to expedite the creation of multiple copies of crucial SQL data for disaster recovery purposes without impacting network performance.
- Also, Afognak takes advantage of CommVault's deduplication and compression functionality to decrease bandwidth requirements while accommodating two-week data retention demands.
- Moreover, the company is leveraging CommVault's cloud storage integration to seamlessly integrate with Microsoft's Windows Azure cloud platform and move on-premises backup and archive data securely, reliably and transparently into, and out of, Microsoft's cloud.
- According to Afognak, Simpana archive software with integrated content indexing will enable proactive legal discovery while producing valuable savings in storage consumption as older data can be moved onto lower-cost storage tiers to reclaim primary space for other offices and application data.
- Afognak also is reviewing CommVault's Edge Data Protection solution to safeguard data residing on remote desktops and laptops in delivering enhanced support for its highly mobile workforce.
Karl McLaughlin, senior vice president of IT for Afognak Native Corporation
Fred Berestoff, IT security manager for Afognak Native Corporation
- "In my role, it's critical that all systems can speak together and are supported by a solid business continuity and disaster recovery plan. With CommVault Simpana software, we have the ability to protect our most critical data while also assuring rapid recovery should something occur."
- "Simpana software is so much more than a backup and recovery product—it's a true data management solution with a lot of add-on functionality. Capacity licensing let us open up and try out new features, like source-side deduplication and eDiscovery, in an all-encompassing platform."
- "CommVault's modern data management solution empowers us to collaborate and communicate in real time with all our offices. We can protect, find and produce data much faster and easier than ever before while better utilizing our storage to save budget dollars on hardware and administration. Best of all, we have complete peace of mind at a DR level as we know our data is safe with Simpana software."
- "The tipping point was CommVault's capacity-based licensing. There were so many things we weren't doing because we didn't have the capability, but Simpana software gave us the opportunity to do so much more because of the platform's evolution and the ease with which we could access everything."
- "Simpana software is incredibly WAN efficient. We've been able to do more with less bandwidth. We're replicating data with a regular Internet connection, so we're not breaking the bank with our network costs."
- "CommVault's ability to safeguard data residing on remote desktops and laptops will enable us to support our highly mobile workforce in the best way possible. Simpana software's edge protection will change how we protect them."
A singular vision — a belief in a better way to address current and future data management needs — guides CommVault in the development of Singular Information Management® solutions for high-performance data protection, universal availability and simplified management of data on complex storage networks. CommVault's exclusive single-platform architecture gives companies unprecedented control over data growth, costs and risk. CommVault's Simpana® software suite of products was designed to work together seamlessly from the ground up, sharing a single code and common function set, to deliver superlative Data Protection, Archive, Replication, Search and Resource Management capabilities. More companies every day join those who have discovered the unparalleled efficiency, performance, reliability, and control only CommVault can offer. Information about CommVault is available at www.commvault.com. CommVault's corporate headquarters is located in Oceanport, New Jersey in the United States.
Safe Harbor Statement
Customers' results may differ materially from those stated herein; CommVault does not guarantee that all customers can achieve benefits similar to those stated above. This press release may contain forward-looking statements, including statements regarding financial projections, which are subject to risks and uncertainties, such as competitive factors, difficulties and delays inherent in the development, manufacturing, marketing and sale of software products and related services, general economic conditions and others. Statements regarding CommVault's beliefs, plans, expectations or intentions regarding the future are forward-looking statements, within the meaning of Section 27A of the Securities Act of 1933, as amended and Section 21E of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934, as amended. All such forward-looking statements are made pursuant to the safe harbor provisions of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. Actual results may differ materially from anticipated results. CommVault does not undertake to update its forward-looking statements.
©1999-2012 CommVault Systems, Inc. All rights reserved. CommVault, CommVault and logo, the "CV" logo, CommVault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, CommVault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, Quick Snap, QSnap, SnapProtect, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, ROMS, and CommValue are trademarks or registered trademarks of CommVault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.