—Advances in Simpana Singular Information Management Technology Deliver Greater Value to Legal Teams with Efficient, Seamless Data Collection, Preservation, Search and Discovery Management—
CommVault (NASDAQ: CVLT) — LEGALTECH CONFERENCE, NEW YORK — February 1, 2012
In today's legal environment, massive amounts of complex data from a variety of sources, which is growing by up to 80 percent year-over-yeari, impacts all the processes and people required to identify, collect, retain, find and process information as part of eDiscovery or litigation. Lengthier discovery events typically handled one at a time, are further compounded by larger and more frequent numbers of cases, custodians and cumbersome data collections as businesses walk the fine line between over-collection, which drives costs higher, and under-collection, which introduces greater exposure to risk. At this year's LegalTech New York conference, CommVault (booth #1401) addresses tough legal information management challenges with newly introduced enhancements to its Simpana® 9 software, leveraging a single ContentStore that provides collection, preservation and discovery benefits to drive down complexity, cost and risk.
- During its virtual SolveForward 2012 event today, CommVault will unveil next-generation Singular Information Management® innovations to its Simpana software. Built around a common data repository or ContentStore, these latest innovations empower legal teams to lower risk and costs while driving efficiencies by streamlining the collection, preservation and discovery of data across a wide variety of sources spanning email stores, documents and even laptops at the "edge."
- CommVault's latest advancements enable customers to more effectively retain and archive information, efficiently meet eDiscovery obligations, and defensibly dispose of information. These include:
- New Simpana OnePass capability facilitates more efficient eDiscovery of unstructured data sets that have grown too big to manage using traditional methods. By collapsing redundant processes into a single operation, organizations can slash the combined time typically required to backup, archive and report by more than 50 percent while providing a single virtual repository for streamlined data preservation and review.
- Other new features include a purpose-built legal user interface to enable efficient, reliable self-service; extended SharePoint archive capabilities to help control explosive growth; edge data protection to preserve, protect and access business critical information on desktops and laptops; and Simpana ObjectLink, a web services interface that delivers a highly scalable, secure Simpana private cloud architecture using commodity hardware for long term information retention and discovery.
- With these enhancements, CommVault offers a singular retention, preservation and eDiscovery solution so information can be easily and reliably accessed, according to its business, compliance or evidentiary value.
New innovations in @CommVault Simpana 9 help legal further drive down #ediscovery cost and risk http://bit.ly/yGw4Ll #LTNY
Simpana Software Meets the Needs of Legal, Compliance & Records Teams
- Simpana software is gaining traction within the legal industry because its single platform approach facilitates better control of applications, processes and data workflow across an enterprise. CommVault provides users with Simpana ContentStore, an intelligent, highly scalable, virtual repository that pulls in data from multiple sources including email, SharePoint, files, documents and information living on edge devices. With a reusable, common data repository, legal teams can reduce the risk and cost of eDiscovery, which are cited as the number one pressure point for organizations in the Forrester Research, Inc. Global Message Archiving Online Surveyii. New Simpana features include:
- New Simpana OnePass capability – An industry first, from a single data collection, information is copied, indexed and stored with a "one pass" backup, archive and reporting process into Simpana ContentStore. With a single data store, legal departments can streamline preservation and eliminate data redundancy during the review process to improve outcomes and lower cost. Additionally, Simpana OnePass policies now extend full coverage for scale-out file systems including Dell Lustre HPC and HP X9000 Network Storage System to combine cost-effective protection, retention and management for Big Data solutions.
- New, extended SharePoint discovery with support for Microsoft BLOB storage – As one of the fastest growing applications in Microsoft's history,SharePoint workspaces are characterized by unwieldy data and multiple versions of the same document, sites, sub-sites and folders. CommVault's integration with BLOB (binary large object) storage now enables legal teams to proactively respond and avoid costly collection processes by simply searching and indexing data already at rest within Simpana ContentStore. Teams also gain long-term retention and disposition benefits to meet compliance with internal policies and external regulations.
- New Edge Data Protection – In today's mobile work environments, desktop and laptop computers often hold data that is a target for legal and compliance investigations. Corporations need a defensible and automated solution to identify, collect, preserve, and review all relevant data sources—including information stored at the edge. CommVault's new Edge Data Protection solution provides centralized protection, preservation, access to thousands of Windows, Mac and Linux systems. With integrated content indexing, legal teams can centralize discovery and preservation of information on desktops, laptops or in the cloud to lower risk and eDiscovery costs.
- New Simpana ObjectLink – CommVault's REST-based API emulates the Amazon S3 interface, allowing legal teams to search content, centralize data and preserve relevant information for eDiscovery in a secure, highly scalable, hardware-agnostic data cloud. As the number and type of content sources increase, cloud computing offers businesses a viable way to centralize the management of growing data. The Simpana ObjectLink interface allows a customer to push web content into the Simpana ContentStore for retention. Legal teams can then easily protect, archive and recover this data, while also retaining versions and histories that can be opted into the legal review process as needed. With Simpana ObjectLink, organizations can expand the scope of the Simpana ContenStore to include web documents and business records to reduce overall collection and preservation costs, while ensuring that data is searchable and fully discoverable for improved information insight.
- New purpose-built user interface – Designed with legal users in mind, CommVault empowers corporate legal teams to search, navigate and mine data as part of self-service searches to minimize reliance on IT. Enhanced single-click preservation from any data source managed by Simpana software is now driven by simple metadata, as well as an ESI content index to speed the discovery and litigation process and help legal teams better prepare for early case assessments.
- Simon Taylor, senior director of information management, CommVault:
"Global enterprises increasingly deploy Simpana software to address eDiscovery requirements as well as efficient and economical retention and disposition of information to accommodate a variety of regulatory, legal and corporate policies. As a unique solution with a converged platform and features that are purpose-built for the legal industry, Simpana software's innovations stand apart in helping firms lower the barriers to proactive eDiscovery while reducing overall cost, risk and complexity."
- Brian Babineau, vice president of research and analyst services, Enterprise Storage Group (ESG):
"ESG estimates that organizations will archive over 700 exabytes of data between 2012 and 2015. Companies can no longer think of archiving simply as just retaining data. Archives now need to be accessible for compliance, eDiscovery and business intelligence. Companies need to look at solutions that allow them to streamline data collection and then centrally store it so it can be easily searched, retrieved, held or expired. Doing so helps avoid the costs of performing these efforts multiple times over."
A singular vision – a belief in a better way to address current and future data management needs – guides CommVault in the development of Singular Information Management® solutions for high-performance data protection, universal availability and simplified management of data on complex storage networks. CommVault's exclusive single-platform architecture gives companies unprecedented control over data growth, costs and risk. CommVault's Simpana® software suite of products was designed to work together seamlessly from the ground up, sharing a single code and common function set, to deliver superlative Data Protection, Archive, Replication, Search and Resource Management capabilities. More companies every day join those who have discovered the unparalleled efficiency, performance, reliability, and control only CommVault can offer. Information about CommVault is available at www.commvault.com. CommVault's corporate headquarters is located in Oceanport, New Jersey in the United States.
Safe Harbor Statement
Customers' results may differ materially from those stated herein; certain information in this release has been provided by the customer and has not been independently verified by CommVault. CommVault does not guarantee that all customers can achieve benefits similar to those stated above. This press release may contain forward-looking statements, including statements regarding financial projections, which are subject to risks and uncertainties, such as competitive factors, difficulties and delays inherent in the development, manufacturing, marketing and sale of software products and related services, general economic conditions and others. Statements regarding CommVault's beliefs, plans, expectations or intentions regarding the future are forward-looking statements, within the meaning of Section 27A of the Securities Act of 1933, as amended and Section 21E of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934, as amended. All such forward-looking statements are made pursuant to the safe harbor provisions of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. Actual results may differ materially from anticipated results. CommVault does not undertake to update its forward-looking statements.
©1999-2012 CommVault Systems, Inc. All rights reserved. CommVault, CommVault and logo, the "CV" logo, CommVault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, CommVault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, Quick Snap, QSnap, SnapProtect, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, ROMS, and CommValue are trademarks or registered trademarks of CommVault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.