—URMC Showcases the Value and Flexibility of Simpana Software's Singular Information Management Approach—
CommVault (NASDAQ: CVLT) — LAS VEGAS, HIMSS, CommVault Booth #13219 — February 21, 2012
- The University of Rochester Medical Center, the centerpiece of the university's health, research, teaching, patient care and community outreach efforts, is the latest customer to embrace CommVault® Simpana® 9's Singular Information Management® technology and switch from its legacy Symantec NetBackup deployment.
- An expansion in the number of IT systems that drive healthcare delivery, all of which need to run 24/7, 365 days of the year, prompted URMC to re-evaluate its data and information management strategy. With Schools of Medicine and Dentistry, two hospitals, 121 locations and nearly 160 outpatient clinics, URMC was looking to eliminate the number of silo-based backup and recovery solutions and drive increased visibility into data across its multiple sites to support critical industry compliance and retention requirements.
- With the highest levels of patient care a priority as well as the need to support meaningful use initiatives, URMC selected Simpana software based on its ability to centralize the management of electronic medical records and research data across the university's rapidly growing physical and virtual environment.
- URMC leverages CommVault's unique, singular platform to accelerate both backup and recovery of 180 TBs of data for hundreds of clinical applications, including an Epic-based electronic medical record system, GE FlowCast, McKessonHBOC Star and Allscripts, spanning every department and medical specialty at URMC's hospitals, clinics, physician offices, labs and cancer centers.
- Additionally, URMC relies on Simpana software to better manage storage that's growing by up to 50 percent annually. By standardizing on Simpana software, the university is able to exceed recovery SLAs and retain rapid access to patient files and electronic health records as dictated by hospital policies, the National Institute of Health (NIH) and Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizers (JCAHO).
@URMCdiscoveries centralizes data mgmt of clinical and operational apps with @CommVault http://bit.ly/yENa5e
Healthy, Scalable Data Management Prognosis
- According to URMC, Simpana software's granular recovery options have helped the university dramatically improve data restores, which previously could take up to three days and now can be completed in hours.
- By eliminating redundant data with CommVault's embedded deduplication, the center has lowered storage costs while easing administration. The university cites dedupe ratios of up to 80 percent on Unix, SQL and Windows data.
- Limitations from its legacy NetBackup software prevented URMC from aggressively scaling the organization's virtual infrastructure. With Simpana software, URMC can now rapidly accelerate the adoption of virtual server technologies knowing the organization has a scalable data protection solution as well as advanced recovery capabilities designed to support virtualized application recovery SLAs.
- Simpana software also provides URMC with the flexibility to meet the budget, operational and compliance needs of its existing physical and virtual environment while easing migrations to cloud storage in the future.
- With CommVault's "push updates" capability, URMC performs upgrades in half the time; capacity licensing makes it easy for URMC to add new software features and functionality, such as edge data protection to safeguard desktops and laptops containing vital research data.
Rick Haverty, director of infrastructure at University of Rochester Medical Center:
- "It is critical for us to support the center's core mission, especially in managing IT systems that drive healthcare delivery, all of which need to run non-stop, 24/7, 365 days of the year. CommVault Simpana 9 software enables us to fully protect 42 clinical applications that are essential to patient care along with hundreds of other applications that are also important in running our operations."
- "We look at each new server request to first see if it can be virtualized to reduce capital costs, space and power. We've also found that our server virtualization strategy eases disaster recovery and maintenance. To that end, we really appreciate how Simpana software helps us scale out our virtualized environment while easing support and protection of our legacy physical servers."
- "Unlike previous dealings with our legacy vendor's support organization, CommVault's Business Critical Support team was very responsive, knowledgeable and eager to work with us to streamline our deployment and help us realize measurable benefits immediately."
- "Equally important was noting that CommVault offered edge protection functionality. Since our desktops and laptops hold a lot of valuable research data, the opportunity to extend the same high level of data protection to these dispersed systems was appealing."
A singular vision – a belief in a better way to address current and future data management needs – guides CommVault in the development of Singular Information Management® solutions for high-performance data protection, universal availability and simplified management of data on complex storage networks. CommVault's exclusive single-platform architecture gives companies unprecedented control over data growth, costs and risk. CommVault's Simpana® software suite of products was designed to work together seamlessly from the ground up, sharing a single code and common function set, to deliver superlative Data Protection, Archive, Replication, Search and Resource Management capabilities. More companies every day join those who have discovered the unparalleled efficiency, performance, reliability, and control only CommVault can offer. Information about CommVault is available at www.commvault.com. CommVault's corporate headquarters is located in Oceanport, New Jersey in the United States.
Safe Harbor Statement
Customers' results may differ materially from those stated herein; CommVault does not guarantee that all customers can achieve benefits similar to those stated above. This press release may contain forward-looking statements, including statements regarding financial projections, which are subject to risks and uncertainties, such as competitive factors, difficulties and delays inherent in the development, manufacturing, marketing and sale of software products and related services, general economic conditions and others. Statements regarding CommVault's beliefs, plans, expectations or intentions regarding the future are forward-looking statements, within the meaning of Section 27A of the Securities Act of 1933, as amended and Section 21E of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934, as amended. All such forward-looking statements are made pursuant to the safe harbor provisions of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. Actual results may differ materially from anticipated results. CommVault does not undertake to update its forward-looking statements.
©1999-2012 CommVault Systems, Inc. All rights reserved. CommVault, CommVault and logo, the "CV" logo, CommVault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, CommVault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, Quick Snap, QSnap, SnapProtect, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, ROMS, and CommValue are trademarks or registered trademarks of CommVault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.