5 Steps to Streamline Multi-cloud Data Protection
Multi-cloud environments can drive agility, but only if cloud data management and data protection are part of the strategy. It’s a critical conversation happening at many organizations, and also discussed in a recent multi-cloud data protection webinar with Commvault and Nemertes Research.
Today 63 percent of Commvault cloud customers1 use more than one cloud, a number you might guess could increase with the next customer survey.
Those numbers are consistent with the industry. According to our webinar co-presenter, Nemertes Research CIO and Principal Research Analyst John Burke:
- More than 95 percent of organizations are already multi-cloud thanks to use of an average of more than seven SaaS applications.
- More than 55 percent of IT workloads will be running in IaaS, PaaS, or SaaS by 2019. 2
That’s a tremendous amount of data to manage across clouds – and cloud geographic regions. How can even the most agile IT organization keep up with different SLAs and geographic data protection policies, and actually let their organization use the data stored in these clouds?
5 steps to streamline multi-cloud data protection
Key steps to streamline the work of multi-cloud data management were detailed in the on-demand webinar "Multi-Cloud Data Management: 5 Steps to Streamline the Work," and watch for the full details of the following five data protection ideas:
- Consolidate tools. If you’re using multiple products to manage backup, recovery, ediscovery and disaster recovery, you can’t be an agile IT team. A single data management platform streamlines the work as you move, manage and use data in clouds and on-premises infrastructure.
- Employ a single view for data. IT teams can be fast, efficient, and meet SLAs, even at massive scale. With one dashboard to manage data lifecycles – and across geographic locations – teams can make better decisions.
- Automate. Save time with a data protection product that offers automation, orchestration, artificial intelligence and machine learning options. Eliminating so much manual work can free up the IT team for more strategic projects.
- Work in the cloud. Choose a product that has native integration with clouds. You can work from one interface for common backup and recovery tasks instead of moving back and forth between interfaces.
- Go big. Data volumes are the biggest inhibitor to cloud adoption. Choose a data protection platform that includes the ability to quickly move large workloads to the cloud. Employ the right tools like AWS Snowball or Azure Data Box and the data management platform that can support large scale data migrations.
On-demand webinar: 5 Steps to Streamline Multi-Cloud Data Protection
When you’re thinking about a multi-cloud data protection strategy, spend a little time pre-planning in order to save time, effort and stress around data availability. By using best practices for data protection, you can help to maximize flexibility in your multi-cloud environment.
Watch the on-demand webinar "Multi-Cloud Data Management: 5 Steps to Streamline the Work."
1 TechValidate survey of 261 users of Commvault® Software, April 2018
2 Source: Nemertes 2017-2018 Cloud, Network, and Security Research Study