Creating a more sustainable and eco-friendly world
Here at Commvault, we’re working to sustainably change technology in a difficult world.
I’m proud to lead our VAST (Vaulters Advocating Sustainability in Technology) Employee Affinity Group (EAG) in creating a space for Vaulters with a passion for environmental sustainability. With Earth Day right around the corner, I wanted to take a moment to highlight Commvault’s commitment to sustainability and eco-friendliness. First things first, we believe that it is our responsibility, as a company, to contribute to a healthier and more sustainable world. Our customers and partners have come to expect renewable energy and sustainable waste management as components of reducing their environmental footprint. Through the use of our products and solutions, our customers and partners have a unique opportunity to mitigate their carbon footprint while reducing costs and maximizing the efficiency and security of their data management practices.
Over the past year, we continued to drive sustainable change for our customers and partners by optimizing their data footprint through the following methods:
Containing Data Proliferation
Huge volumes of data are produced every day. It takes energy to create, use, store, manage, protect, and share this data. Our software minimizes the amount of data produced and maximizes its usage, including:
- More efficient backup storage for traditional datasets, thereby reducing storage requirements.
- Identification of Redundant, Obsolete and Trivial (ROT) data.
- Use of automated policies to control and delete unnecessary copies.
- Archiving of VM and files to reduce primary storage.
- Combination of backup and archives to repurpose secondary data.
- Elimination of data redundancy and reduction of storage requirements through compression and deduplication.
Maximizing Datacenter Intelligence
We have been expanding the workloads supported by our portfolio to reduce operational complexity for our customers and partners. Additionally, we have been expanding on the global availability of SaaS, enabling customers and partners to benefit from the efficiencies of cloud-delivered SaaS data management. Our Cloud and security solutions are energy efficient and reduce on-site storage infrastructure. Key efficiencies include:
- Sustainable SaaS options and hyperscaler public clouds are operationally carbon neutral.
- Cloud environments are easy to utilize and are often powered by renewable energy.
- Scaling and power management of cloud access nodes are automated processes.
- Metallic Cloud Storage Service implements carbon neutral cloud storage in minutes.
- HyperScale X increases datacenter storage density through highly efficient scale-out infrastructure.
Limiting Data Movement
Reducing the movement and duplication of data cuts down on unnecessary carbon emissions:
- Source-side deduplication removes redundant data before it is transferred to backup servers.
- Granular recovery offers one-time backup anywhere.
As we celebrate Earth Day this year, we’re proud to reflect on all our efforts to be a responsible steward and limit our environmental impact. We’ll be sharing more in the coming months within our 2023 Corporate Social Responsibility Report – stay tuned for more!