Dow Jones consolidated their data with Commvault and AWS and created a better plan for disaster recovery.
- The Result
- Securedata migration, backup, management and recovery
- Increasein 400% of AWS instances year over year
- Commvault and AWSensure the data is protected and available
- Move 75 percent of all compute to the public cloud
- Reduce 50 data centers down to six globally
- A better plan to manage data outside of its primary and disaster recovery centers in New Jersey
- As of 2016, Dow Jones had more than 5 PBs of data on-premises, paying for off-site storage and SLAs for the data in the off-site data centers were slow
At a glance
- Dow Jones had more than 30,000 tapes in off-site storage, containing more than 5 petabytes of data.
- Its backup and disaster recovery strategy relied on a disaster recovery center 30 miles away from its operations in New Jersey
- Added up to large off-site storage costs and unacceptable SLAs for the recovery of mission-critical applications
- Dow Jones is a worldwide news and information source that includes multiple brands such as The Wall Street Journal, Dow Jones Newswires, Barron’s MarketWatch and others
BenefitsCommvault offers a single data platform solutions for all backup and recovery needs, as opposed to having several point solutions for each use case. From a single data platform, Commvault offers comprehensive data management capabilities including data backup, recovery, management and e-discover – capabilities that are highly-integrated with Amazon cloud storage. It’s built from scratch, meaning all storage, backup and disaster recovery functions communicate with each other as one solution, regardless of where the data resides. This allows Dow Jones to consistently manage its hybrid cloud environment and to improve resiliency by writing backups directly to Amazon S3, Amazon Standard-Infrequent Access (Standard –IA), or Glacier.
Now we're in the process of putting together a comprehensive DR strategy with Commvault and AWS infrastructure and can protect our data that is in the legacy data centers and those running in the cloud.
Chief Information Officer and Head of Technology, Dow Jones
Here are selections from our resource library, which includes a wide range of videos, customer case studies, datasheets, whitepapers and more to further explain how Commvault can help you make your data work for you.