By Phil Wandrei
If you are like most organizations (and industry analyst Gartner predicts that 50 percent of enterprise-generated data will be created and processed outside a traditional centralized data center by 20221), not all of your enterprise data is created within the walls of your data center. It could have been created on endpoint devices, in remote office/branch offices, or even in the cloud. How do you protect that remote data when it may fall to remote IT staff and service levels may vary from site to site? In other words, you may currently have remote islands of data that are stranded, or worse, at risk of being lost forever in the event of a disaster or malicious attack.
The data protection challenges of remote data is often a combination of four (4) factors:
- Lack of local IT resources; either dedicated or shared staff
- Disparate or point products make managing and supporting remote offices difficult and time consuming
- Inconsistent policies and service levels across remote offices may lead to missed service levels
- Greater risk of losing data as secondary copies may be kept on-site, rather than off-site
Solving the islands of data challenges
To better manage and protect remote office data, Commvault offers the Remote Office Appliance to ensure consistent data protection wherever your data resides.
- Reduce the need for local IT resources. As part of a Commvault environment (either Commvault Complete™ Backup and Recovery or Commvault HyperScale™) your corporate IT staff can manage and protect all of the remote data through a single user interface. They can create local backups, restore locally, and even replicate copies back to corporate or the cloud for greater DR protection. You now have the power to view, manage and protect all of your data wherever it lives, including remote offices.
- Simplify your remote office environment. Commvault Remote Office Appliance is a fully integrated appliance that converges the compute, storage, and backup software in order to protect your data. No longer does your team have to assemble a bill of materials, install and integrate multiple components, or use separate consoles for different components. Commvault provides a single solution that is easy to install, manage and support.
- Deliver consistent service levels wherever the data lives. With a Commvault environment, you can centrally manage, set consistent policies, use automation and enable self-service capabilities in remote offices. Now you can deliver greater services and can even tier services based on geography, size, business units, or other factors you select.
- Provide great data availability and data protection. With Commvault Remote Office Appliance you can create local backups and restore locally to ensure faster SLAs, but you can also replicate copies offsite to your corporate office or to the cloud for greater data protection. In either case, you have an offsite copy, or two, that protects your data in the event of a disaster or threat.
What is the Commvault Remote Office Appliance?
Commvault Remote Office Appliance provides the powerful simplicity of Commvault Complete™ Backup and Recovery in a cost-effective backup and recovery solution to address the challenges of supporting remote and branch offices.
Commvault Remote Office Appliance is a 1U appliance, built on a scale-up infrastructure, and is offered with either 5TB or 15TB of usable capacity. You can centrally manage local backups and recoveries, and replicate copies to your corporate site or cloud for greater data protection. In addition, as a fully integrated appliance it simplifies the acquisition, installation, and support that often hinders remote staff or requires expensive professional services.
With the Commvault Remote Office Appliance you can protect, access, and use all of your data wherever it exists; from remote offices to corporate offices and into the cloud.
Commvault Remote Office Appliance extends the benefits of a Commvault Complete™ Backup and Recovery or Commvault HyperScale™ environment to eliminate your islands of data. Now you have a way to manage and protect your remote data with a simple and cost-effective solution, while improving your service levels and availability. Put a stop to marooned data in your remote offices.
1 What Edge Computing Means for Infrastructure and Operations Leaders; October 18, 2017; Contributor: Rob van der Meulen; https://www.gartner.com/smarterwithgartner/what-edge-computing-means-for-infrastructure-and-operations-leaders/