By Mayur Dewaikar
Over the past few years, a lot has been written about the explosive data growth organizations are experiencing as they go through digital transformation.
Data management solutions over the past two decades have been based on a traditional scale-up architecture. As the data has grown, there has been a lot of fine tuning in this monolithic scale-up architecture. However, the basic architecture has largely remained the same and has consisted of media servers playing the role of data movers with dedicated storage capacity in the form of HDDs at the back end or storage sub-systems, which provide capacity and increased performance with the addition of storage expansion. However, since the media servers still largely govern performance in terms of IOPS and throughput by adding storage or scaling-up, saturation is reached once capacity starts increasing.
Organizations prefer having a choice and flexibility as to how they want to consume technology. Organizations with larger IT teams often prefer a build-your-own approach, leveraging best-of-breed commodity components to build a highly custom solution that uniquely meet their needs. On the other hand, there are many organizations that simply prefer turnkey solutions and would rather not deal with the challenges of building their own solution.
Earlier this year, we introduced Commvault HyperScale Software, which, in layman’s terms, marries Commvault’s rich data management capabilities with a scale-out file system thus tackling the limitations of traditional scale-up architectures discussed above. Learn more about the Commvault HyperScale Software technology.
Commvault is providing our customers and partners even greater choice, as I am thrilled to announce the availability of Commvault HyperScaleTM Appliance, an all-in-one complete turnkey data management solution. Commvault HyperScale Appliance solutions are built upon Commvault’s industry-leading technology and tightly integrates server, storage and full lifecycle data management into a single platform across the data center and the cloud.
Ranging from 32TBs up to 80TBs (usable storage), it seamlessly expands to meet customers demanding performance and capacity requirements.
Following is a quick summary of benefits customers can expect from the Commvault HyperScale Appliance:
- Simplicity: Easy to acquire, install, manage, update and support.
- Turnkey solution: Everything you need to manage your data in a simple turnkey solution.
- Scalability: Underlying scale-out file system allows to you start small and expand seamlessly as the needs of the organization evolve. Mix multiple generations of hardware in a single pool to rapidly benefit from newer architectures and drive densities.
- Centralized patch management and single call support on the entire solution through Commvault.
- Resiliency: Highly resilient architecture that eliminates single point of failure.
- Evergreen architecture: Hardware refreshed in place every three years. No more forklift upgrades and expensive downtime.
- Solution completeness: Breadth of Commvault portfolio. Support for all major physical, virtual and application workloads.
- Fully integrated with public cloud providers: Integration with all major cloud storage providers in the market for offsite copies and long-term retention. Transform on-premises workloads into public cloud instances, protect cloud-native workloads and replicate data back to premises. Provisioning policies allow you to spin up/spin down cloud resources on demand.
We are truly excited about the Commvault HyperScale Appliance offering and the value it will provide our customers in solving their end-to-end data management challenges of today and the future. Learn more about Commvault HyperScale Appliance. Additionally, watch this space over the next few months as we go into the technology details of the platform and share with you some of our customer success stories.