CommVault Releases Results of IT Storage Spending Survey, Revealing Slight Rise in Budgets to Address Key Data Management Challenges
— Managing Data Growth, Backup and Recovery, Disaster Recovery, Backup of Virtual Server Environments & Email/File Archiving Cited as Top Five IT Concerns for 2011 —
CommVault (NASDAQ: CVLT) — OCEANPORT, NJ — January 10, 2011
- CommVault has released the results of its IT Storage Spending Survey, which polled a cross-section of more than 350 of its existing, global Simpana® software customers. This included individuals responsible for IT budget allocations encompassing storage and data management such as CIOs, vice presidents and IT directors as well as backup, server and storage group managers or administrators.
- According to the survey results, managing data growth (i.e., data reduction) is the top budget priority for 2011, followed by network and equipment, disaster recovery, applications/software and data backup and recovery.
- Nearly 30 percent of the survey respondents revealed their IT budgets would increase in 2011 while almost 50 percent reported their budgets would remain unchanged in the New Year. Of that IT budget, 43 percent of those polled reported allocating up to 10 percent for overall data protection while another 36 percent planned to spend between 11 and 20 percent of their budget on data protection hardware, software, services/support and media.
- Of those surveyed, 54 percent reported no expected increases in IT headcount in 2011; 20 percent reported an increase and 26 percent remained undecided on changes to their staffing in the year ahead.
- More than 60 percent of the respondents polled for this IT Storage Spending Survey came from organizations with between 500 to 10,000 employees, representing a variety of industry sectors, including government, education, manufacturing, healthcare, financial services, engineering and retail. Nearly 50 percent of the respondents were responsible for managing between six to 25 TBs of primary data last year; 22 percent managed less than 25 physical servers while 24 percent managed less than 25 virtual servers currently.
Simpana Software Enables Optimized IT Budgets for Improved IT Storage Spending
- More than 40 percent of the survey respondents spent more on backup & recovery, data reduction or backing up virtual server environments than initially budgeted for in the past year. In ranking their No. 1 IT budget priority for 2011, however, less than 10 percent cited backup & recovery as their highest budget priority, which underscores the continuing need to allocate funds across a variety of pressing areas, including network and equipment, disaster recovery, as well as applications and software. In contrast, managing data growth received the top ranking for budget priority with 16 percent of the votes.
- Increasingly, CommVault customers are embracing Simpana® 9 software to address their most pressing IT challenges while optimizing their budgets. In particular, organizations are taking advantage of the company's third-generationdeduplication with fully integrated source- and target-side deduplication for reducing the amount of backup and archive data stored to disk, tape or the cloud by up to 90 percent.
- Simpana software is ideally suited to alleviate the challenges of protecting sprawling virtual environments by enabling companies to deploy truly unified data management and virtual server protection that meets the needs of today's modern data centers.
- CommVault's policy-driven data management platform protects, stores and recovers vast amounts of data while automating administration. The ability to eliminate manual processes and seamlessly tier data to physical, virtual and cloud storage decreases administrative costs and increases operational efficiencies, letting IT departments do more with less resources.
- With Simpana 9, CommVault has also simplified its licensing model to provide customers nearly unlimited use of important features while charging only by the amount of capacity protected. These customers maintain visibility into capacity and growth with usage and trending dashboards that refresh daily to help them manage their storage budgets better.
David West, vice president of marketing and business development for CommVault:
"The results of CommVault's IT storage spending survey underscore what our customers have been telling us: the continuing data glut is creating undue cost as well as risk of data loss and business disruption. They need to fix these problems without dramatically increasing their budgets, which has been a recurring theme for the past several years. In 2011, companies will still need to do more with less, but they're also investing more in modern solutions that solve these real-world IT challenges while leveraging budget allocations to the fullest."
- CommVault® Simpana® 9 Software
- CommVault Simpana Virtual Server Protection
- More on how CommVault Simpana software protects hundreds of virtual machines in minutes
- More on CommVault services and support
- More CommVault news
- Visit CommVault's delicious page
- Visit CommVault's Flickr photostream
- Subscribe to CommVault RSS feeds:
- Follow CommVault on Twitter:
- Follow CommVault on Facebook:
A singular vision – a belief in a better way to address current and future data and information management needs – guides CommVault in the development of Singular Information Management® solutions for high-performance data protection, universal availability and simplified management of data on complex storage networks. CommVault's exclusive single-platform architecture gives companies unprecedented control over data growth, costs and risk. CommVault's Simpana® software modules were designed to work together seamlessly from the ground up, sharing a single code and common function set, to deliver superlative Data Backup, Archive, Replication, Search and Resource Management capabilities. More companies every day join those who have discovered the unparalleled efficiency, performance, reliability, and control only CommVault can offer. Information about CommVault is available at www.commvault.com. CommVault's corporate headquarters is located in Oceanport, New Jersey in the United States.
Safe Harbor Statement
Customers' results may differ materially from those stated herein; CommVault does not guarantee that all customers can achieve benefits similar to those stated above. This press release may contain forward-looking statements, including statements regarding financial projections, which are subject to risks and uncertainties, such as competitive factors, difficulties and delays inherent in the development, manufacturing, marketing and sale of software products and related services, general economic conditions and others. Statements regarding CommVault's beliefs, plans, expectations or intentions regarding the future are forward-looking statements, within the meaning of Section 27A of the Securities Act of 1933, as amended and Section 21E of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934, as amended. All such forward-looking statements are made pursuant to the safe harbor provisions of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. Actual results may differ materially from anticipated results. CommVault does not undertake to update its forward-looking statements.
©1999-2011 CommVault Systems, Inc. All rights reserved. CommVault, CommVault and logo, the "CV" logo, CommVault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, CommVault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, Quick Snap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, CommValue and ROMS, are trademarks or registered trademarks of CommVault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.