Everything's Coming Up Roses for the City of Pasadena with CommVault Simpana Information Governance Software
— City Overcomes eDiscovery, Records Management and Data Protection Challenges Using CommVault's Single Platform Approach to Archiving, Search, Backup and Recovery —
CommVault (NASDAQ: CVLT) — OCEANPORT, NJ — June 14, 2011
The development of effective end-to-end information governance strategies is an ongoing challenge for many organizations in both the private and public sector, especially amid ever-increasing legal and regulatory requirements. The hurdles extend beyond simply complying with requirements to protect and retain mission-critical information. As newlegislation puts eDiscovery regulations in step with federal rules around what electronic data is considered a public record, equally important is the need for IT, legal and records management staff to access archived information quickly, efficiently and at the lowest possible cost.
As many city and state governments face budget cuts that can hamper their ability to meet information governance and eDiscovery needs, the City of Pasadena is lowering the cost, complexity and risk associated with searching and retrieving emails and files with CommVault® Simpana® software. As a result, the city, best known as the host of the Tournament of Roses Parade and Rose Bowl football game, may soon become widely recognized for its ability to quickly and cost-effectively fulfill regulatory and legislative information requests.
- The City of Pasadena is using CommVault Simpana software to simplify and reduce the cost of discovering information from a rapidly expanding pool of public records, emails, contracts and other digital information.
- Simpana software is helping the city expedite multiple eDiscovery requests each month by empowering its legal and records management teams to search, sort, select and retrieve emails and files in-house instead of relying on costly outsourcing arrangements. According to the city, searches that used to take several days, now take just minutes with Simpana software.
- With Simpana software's single pane-of-glass approach, the city streamlines administration and accelerates large-volume discovery searches with easy, secure legal holds. In turn, this practice enables the city to mitigate the risk of omitting key data, while driving additional operational efficiencies and cost savings.
- With Simpana software's integrated capabilities for archiving, enterprise search,backup and recovery, the city will be able to ensure that all its information stakeholders, including IT, legal, HR, records managers and compliance officers, can fulfill all requests associated with the Freedom of Information Act, HIPAA, the Brown Act, Sarbanes-Oxley, California Public Records Act, Bagley-Keene Open Meeting Act, the Homeland Security Act (HSA) of 2002, and Worker's Compensation and Sunshine Laws.
Data Protection, Records Management and Legal Discovery Blossom
- According to the City of Pasadena, CommVault's integrated functionality, overall product stability and simplified management dramatically reduce the administration needed previously to operate and support multiple backup solutions.
- By better leveraging existing infrastructure, the City of Pasadena expects to achieve immediate cost savings in disk storage. The city also projects additional eDiscovery cost savings as a result of reduced administrative overhead by enabling non-IT staff to search and retrieve electronically stored information when responding to legal discovery actions.
- The City of Pasadena is also relying on Simpana software to protect crucial data generated by 200 line-of-business applications that support 2,300 employees across 16 departments. A 9-person IT team oversees 300 servers, half of which are virtualized using VMware vSphere 4.1. A four-person staff supports physical and virtual server backup and recovery of a predominantly Microsoft environment featuring Windows, Exchange, SQL and SharePoint.
Robert Monzon, records manager, City Clerk Department, Records and Mail Division, City of Pasadena
- "As part of our information governance objectives, we keep all the city's public records in a system where they can be accessed efficiently and at the lowest possible cost. CommVault plays an important role in this effort as Simpana software is a considered a ‘trusted system' according to the State Government Code 34090 for records management."
- "With Simpana software, data protection is becoming more important as we provide information stakeholders with services we couldn't deliver previously. Now we can manage data from inception to destruction with complete integrity, which is helping us make information lifecycle management a reality for the City of Pasadena."
- "Simpana software has a far-reaching impact on City of Pasadena in terms of operational, cost and compliance benefits. We'll continue to look for ways to broaden the product's reach throughout our environment."
- "We're extremely pleased with how well Simpana software meets our compliance, records management and eDiscovery requirements. By empowering our legal department to do their own searches, we're lifting weight off the shoulders of the IT staff as compliance and eDiscovery tasks can be laborious and time-consuming."
- "In working with the City of Pasadena, it became obvious that we could meet the different needs of various groups with one platform—CommVault Simpana software. Only CommVault's modern data and information management capabilities reach across the full spectrum to ensure complete data protection, robust records management and streamlined legal discovery."
- CommVault® Simpana® 9 Software
- Information Governance Resource Center
- CommVault Simpana for eDiscovery
- CommVault Simpana Archive
- CommVault Simpana for Enterprise Search
- CommVault Simpana Backup and Recovery
- More CommVault news
- Subscribe to CommVault RSS feeds: http://news.commvault.com/rss-feeds.asp
- Follow CommVault on Twitter: http://twitter.com/CommVault
- Follow CommVault on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/CommVault
A singular vision – a belief in a better way to address current and future data management needs – guides CommVault in the development of Singular Information Management® solutions for high-performance data protection, universal availability and simplified management of data on complex storage networks. CommVault's exclusive single-platform architecture gives companies unprecedented control over data growth, costs and risk. CommVault's Simpana® software suite of products was designed to work together seamlessly from the ground up, sharing a single code and common function set, to deliver superlative Data Protection, Archive, Replication, Search and Resource Management capabilities. More companies every day join those who have discovered the unparalleled efficiency, performance, reliability, and control only CommVault can offer. Information about CommVault is available at www.commvault.com. CommVault's corporate headquarters is located in Oceanport, New Jersey in the United States.
Safe Harbor Statement
Customers' data and results included in this release were supplied to CommVault in good faith by the customer; this information has not been verified. Customers' results may differ materially from those stated herein; CommVault does not guarantee that all customers can achieve benefits similar to those stated above. This press release may contain forward-looking statements, including statements regarding financial projections, which are subject to risks and uncertainties, such as competitive factors, difficulties and delays inherent in the development, manufacturing, marketing and sale of software products and related services, general economic conditions and others. Statements regarding CommVault's beliefs, plans, expectations or intentions regarding the future are forward-looking statements, within the meaning of Section 27A of the Securities Act of 1933, as amended and Section 21E of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934, as amended. All such forward-looking statements are made pursuant to the safe harbor provisions of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. Actual results may differ materially from anticipated results. CommVault does not undertake to update its forward-looking statements.
©1999-2011 CommVault Systems, Inc. All rights reserved. CommVault, CommVault and logo, the "CV" logo, CommVault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, CommVault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, Quick Snap, QSnap, SnapProtect, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, ROMS, and CommValue are trademarks or registered trademarks of CommVault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.