Egged Israel Transport ensures continuous transit service with Commvault HyperScale™ Appliances
Israeli public transit company recovers critical data in minutes and reduces time spent protecting data in their hybrid environment
- High cost and difficulty operating a legacy IBM TSM solution
- Labor-intensive and costly use of secondary storage and tapes to meet storage and recovery needs
- Need to modernize its disaster recovery solution to support rapid data recovery and eliminate transit service disruptions
- Deployed three Commvault HyperScale Appliances with Nutanix to protect data and applications, including SaaS data, across on-premises and cloud environments
- 86% faster configuration of new server with intuitive features
- Recovered a physical or virtual machine in minutes by using an intuitive, unified console to track and review backup and recovery status
- Achieved 80% deduplication ratio and eliminated the need to keep buying tapes
- Minimized disruption to transit service operations by gaining the ability to immediately recover data when a server is down
- Saved significant time spent on data and storage management in the hybrid environment
- Improved staff productivity by allowing the IT team to focus on strategic projects rather than working overtime to solve backup issues
Travel & Transportation
At a Glance Panel: Egged Israel Transport
- Largest public transit company in Israel with US $1.13 billion annual turnover
- Operates intercity bus routes between most Israeli cities and provides public transit services in Europe, including Poland and Netherlands
Key Assets Protected:
- 270TB data including GPS information, bus routes, timetables and ticketing
- Microsoft Azure
- 500 Microsoft 365 mailboxes
- Microsoft SharePoint
- 700 physical and virtual machines
The Backup Environment:
- 3 Commvault HyperScale Appliances with 3 servers for production site and 2 media agents for disaster recovery
- Nutanix Acropolis Hypervisor
“We looked at Veritas but decided that Commvault was the best fit because of its integration capability with Nutanix and intuitive features.”– Noah Afgin, System Administrator, Egged Israel Transport
“We have achieved 80% deduplication ratio by utilizing Commvault HyperScale Appliances, eliminating the need to keep buying tapes to support business growth.”– Noah Afgin, System Administrator, Egged Israel Transport
“Data is the engine to our business, without data not even our buses will start.”– Noah Afgin, System Administrator, Egged Israel Transport
Supporting data growth with a scalable and reliable solution
Starting as a cooperative society in 1933, Egged Israel Transport (Egged) is now the largest Israeli public transit company with 35% market share. Its services include intercity bus, light rail, tourism, and bus maintenance. Serving almost a million passengers every day, Egged aims to expand its services to a wider population, including people with disabilities and members of minority groups, and make public transport more accessible..
Previously, Egged engaged an outside company to do backups via IBM TSM. But as its data volume increased each year, it became very expensive for Egged to meet its storage needs. The company also used a secondary storage system and tapes for recovery, but this process was costly and labor-intensive.
“Overbuying tapes or underestimating storage needs meant we could not address our data growth. We ended up with a huge number of tapes and storage boards that we didn’t even use. I also had to work long hours on holidays and weekends, so it was unsustainable,” said Noah Afgin, System Engineer, Egged Israel Transport.
After evaluating various vendors, Egged deployed three Commvault HyperScale Appliances with Nutanix Hyperconverged solution to protect critical data in their hybrid environment, including 500 Office 365 mailboxes, and 700 physical and virtual servers. It also created an auxiliary copy across two Commvault HyperScale Appliances for disaster recovery.
“We looked at Veritas but decided that Commvault was the best fit because of its integration capability with Nutanix and intuitive features,” said Afgin. “I really like how Commvault keeps everything up to date and how it’s constantly working on new features.”
Rapid recovery of critical data
The legacy IBM solution was difficult to operate and had a limited backup history, so Afgin had to contact a specialist each time he needed to restore data. When the IBM system was down for almost half a day, managers had to write down instructions on paper for bus drivers. This created serious operational issues to the business.
“Data feeds information to our GPS or tells our drivers what time the bus needs to leave or arrive back to the station. Data is the engine to our business, without data not even our buses will start,” said Afgin.
Egged wanted to find a cost-effective and scalable backup solution that could support its business over the long-term, rather than just for one or two years. “Modernizing our data protection with Commvault, Nutanix and Microsoft Azure enabled us to rapidly restore SaaS and on-premises data and meet our current and future needs,” said Afgin.
“We have achieved 80% deduplication ratio by utilizing Commvault HyperScale Appliances, eliminating the need to keep buying tapes to support business growth.”
Commvault HyperScale Appliances also enabled Egged to easily and quickly migrate physical machines, virtual machines, and VMware data to the new platform via its single pane of glass.
“In the past, we were never able to back up an entire machine with IBM. Now with Commvault, we can back up a machine in just five minutes,” says Afgin. “Commvault gives us peace of mind that our data is safe and can be recovered immediately.”
Saves significant time in data and storage management
Commvault’s HyperScale Appliances also helped Egged save significant time in daily administration work across data protection and storage management. Egged no longer needs to allocate resources to changing tapes and delivering them to another location for storage.
“Previously, I would constantly run to the office with someone urgently waiting for me to solve a backup issue,” said Afgin. “Thanks to Commvault, we know that we have full control of the disaster recovery site. This freed us up to focus on our other projects.”
“With Commvault HyperScale Appliances, we simply open the ‘job controller’ and check to see if a server is down or disconnected from the network. The information is instant, which was not possible with the legacy solution,” said Afgin
Because Commvault is so easy to use, Afgin said: “Even our DBA can configure a new server in just one hour instead of relying on a specialist and taking seven hours to complete.”.