OrchidPharma ensures uninterrupted healthcare service with Commvault
Pharmaceutical company achieves 90% faster data restoration and supports innovation with reliable backup and recovery
- Quickly migrate its existing data center to another location within 2 weeks
- To minimize the costs of storage hardware while keeping up with the growing data demands of its pharmaceutical research
- Ensure continuous manufacturing operations during the migration and the COVID-19 pandemic
- Used Commvault Complete™️ Backup & Recovery to replicate all the virtual machines from the existing data center and restore all data in their new location
- Just 11 days to successfully migrate their data center to the new destination─with zero downtime and zero additional costs
- Achieved more than 90% deduplication ratio and used the same storage capacity over the last six years, even with up to 18% monthly data growth rate
- Achieved more than 90% savings of time and effort to back up, recover, and restore data in the private cloud
- Ensured continuous manufacturing operations with a reliable and efficient backup and recovery solution. Protecting all data from VMs, SAP applications, endpoint devices, Oracle Database, Microsoft SharePoint, Exchange, and Windows
- Created confidence for the company that their data is safe and available
At-a-glance panel: OrchidPharma
- 3 manufacturing facilities along with research and development center in India
- Operates subsidiaries in United States
- 1,200 employees
- Centralized data center in Chennai, India
Key assets protected
- Microsoft Windows, Exchange, and SharePoint
- Oracle Database and SQL database
- SAP enterprise resource planning (ERP) applications
- Endpoint devices including desktops and laptops
- 100+ VMware virtual machines
The backup environment
- Commvault Complete™️ Backup and Recovery
- Dell EMC to store production data and NetApp for backup and archival data
“With Commvault Complete Backup and Recovery, we completed the entire data center migration in just 11 days with zero downtime. It also took only 30 to 45 minutes to move each VM to the new destination.”– Pragati Kumar Patro, Deputy General Manager – IT, OrchidPharma Ltd.
“With Commvault, we have done the entire data center migration remotely from home with no additional costs or single call to Commvault. It shows how incredible the product is.”– Pragati Kumar Patro, Deputy General Manager – IT, OrchidPharma Ltd.
“If there is a downtime, we know that we can restore the data immediately with Commvault when we need such service. Commvault gives us that security and comfort and allows us to quickly resume business as normal.”– Pragati Kumar Patro, Deputy General Manager – IT, OrchidPharma Ltd.
Seamless data center migration with zero downtime and zero additional cost
OrchidPharma is a leading Indian pharmaceutical company focusing on innovation in the healthcare industry. From discovery to delivery of drugs across the globe, Pragati Kumar Patro, Deputy General Manager of IT at OrchidPharma, knows very well that it is essential to ensure data availability and support his company’s innovation effort to improve patient care.
After the acquisition by Dhanuka Agritech on 31st March 2020, the new management of OrchidPharma wanted to consolidate the corporate office and move its data center to another location in two weeks. Its goal was to maximize office space and minimize operational cost as part of its IT strategy.
“Our data center is 100% private cloud using VMware for virtualization. Smooth and timely migration is critical to our manufacturing process,” said Patro. “With Commvault Complete Backup and Recovery, we completed the entire data center migration in just 11 days with zero downtime. It also took only 30 to 45 minutes to move each VM to the new destination.”
“Without Commvault, we had to be physically in the office to manage all the work during the pandemic or we would never meet the 2-week timeline,” said Patro. “With Commvault, we have done the entire data center migration remotely from home with no additional costs or single call to Commvault. It shows how incredible the product is.”
Supporting up to 18% data growth without increasing storage capacity
Apart from providing quality and affordable generic drugs to the global healthcare system, research and development is a key value driver for OrchidPharma. Through continuous discovery and pre-clinical research of new drugs, the company had experienced up to 18% data growth each month. On top of this, OrchidPharma also needed to keep its data for 15 years to meet the industry regulations.
“We live in a new age where we capture and store so much data, and also use data, like never before. It is mission critical for businesses to have a firm strategy to economically manage, store, and backup data,” said Patro.
By using the superior deduplication feature of Commvault, OrchidPharma can compress 1.3 TB of data to just 1.8GB and move the data quickly through the applications in less than 10 minutes. This allowed the pharmaceutical company to complete its entire migration ahead of the timeline.
“If we didn’t optimize our backup with Commvault, we would run out of storage space every second year and keep increasing our storage hardware,” said Patro. “Thanks to Commvault, we achieved over 90% deduplication ratio and used the same storage capacity over the last six years, even though with up to 18% data growth rate. That’s a massive savings.”
“A common problem for companies is that they do not leverage all the features of a product, and then if there’s a problem they think they should replace the product. Until you’ve used the rich features of Commvault, you would not know how robust it is and how beneficial it is to your company. Today, I use both the compression and deduplication features and I really value the product.”
Gaining 90% efficiency with Commvault and ensuring business continuity
Service uptime is a must for OrchidPharma to maintain non-stop manufacturing operations and minimize disruption to the entire pharmaceutical value chain.
“If there is a downtime, we know that we can restore the data immediately with Commvault when we need such service,” said Patro. “Commvault gives us that security and comfort and allows us to quickly resume business as normal.”
By using the functions of synthetic backup and differential backup with Commvault, OrchidPharma can efficiently back up VMs, SAP applications, Oracle Database, desktops and laptops, Microsoft SharePoint and Exchange, based on its existing storage policy. The single Commvault solution also enabled Pragati to allocate less resources to manage the backup operations.
“Compared to other solutions, we saved more than 90% of our time and effort to back up, recover, and restore data with Commvault,” said Patro. “I would recommend Commvault to companies looking for a reliable, tension free, and efficient backup and recovery software.”