SAM Medical Center cuts licensing costs by 90% with Commvault
Korean medical institution enables immediate disaster recovery and supports critical hospital operations
- Insufficient storage capacity to meet the growing data volume across various servers and PC clients
- Lack of an efficient and reliable disaster recovery system to avoid data loss and disruption to hospital operations
- Time consuming and high risk of human errors using manual backup procedures with storage devices
- Deployed Commvault Complete™ Data Protection across two hospitals⎯ SAM Anyang Hospital and G SAM Hospital⎯within the SAM Medical Center
- Commvault Partner Efrikia Technology built a data protection platform on Commvault and provides ongoing maintenance service
- 90% reduction in licensing costs
- Anticipated to achieve 10x increase in backup speed and up to 40% data compression ratio through deduplication
- Ensured continuous hospital operations by enabling immediate recovery of critical data in the event of ransomware attack or unexpected system failures
- Gained an integrated, reliable, and cost-effective solution to protect the entire environment
- Improved the overall data management efficiency by using an intuitive dashboard and reporting function to monitor backup and recovery status
Anyang, Gyeonggi Province, Korea
At a glance: SAM Medical Center
- A Korean medical institution established by Hyosan Medical Foundation
- Operates two hospitals in Anyang, Gyeonggi Province with a total of 1,000 beds
- Provides sponsorships and medical missionary services for hospitals across seven countries, including China, Japan, Indonesia, Taiwan, South Africa, Albania, and Uzbekistan
Key assets protected
- 350TB backup target data
- 8 Unix AIX operating systems
- 2 Red Hat Linux operating systems
- 1,000 PC clients
- 60 on-premises servers including Microsoft Windows NT, IBM, HPE, and Lenovo
- Oracle applications
- Microsoft SQL
- Delphi software
The backup environment
- Commvault Complete™ Data Protection
- Hitachi G400 and G200 Storage
“We evaluated Veritas NetBackup but selected Commvault Complete Data Protection because of its comprehensive features and simplified licensing model.”– Sang-seok Park, Department Head of Information Strategy,
SAM Medical Center
“Commvault is the only vendor we found that offers an all-in-one solution for backup and disaster recovery. We expect to achieve 10x faster backup speed and up to 40% data compression ratio.”– Sang-seok Park, Department Head of Information Strategy,
SAM Medical Center
“By gaining the flexibility to separate licenses for PC clients and servers, we reduced licensing costs by up to 90% compared to the previous storage backup model.”– Sang-seok Park, Department Head of Information Strategy,
SAM Medical Center
Cuts licensing costs by up to 90%
As part of Hyosan Medical Foundation, SAM Medical Center is a medical institution that operates two hospitals in the Anyang, Gyeonggi Province of South Korea. It also has established cooperative relationships with missionary hospitals in seven other countries, providing sponsorships and knowledge exchange in medical service. With over 50 years of expertise in medical technology, SAM Medical Center focuses on delivering high quality service to patients by employing medical professionals from university hospitals and adopting state-of-the-art facilities.
With the increased threats from ransomware attacks in the healthcare industry, Sang-seok Park, Department Head of Information Strategy at SAM Medical Center, saw the need to upgrade his backup infrastructure and prevent data loss.
“We evaluated Veritas NetBackup but selected Commvault Complete Data Protection because of its comprehensive features and simplified licensing model,” said Park. “By gaining the flexibility to separate licenses for PC clients and servers, we reduced licensing costs by up to 90% compared to the previous storage backup model.”
Another key reason to select the Commvault solution was its compatibility with a wide range of target backup systems including Unix and Linux operating systems, Microsoft Windows NT servers, and hospital information systems.
Supports rapid disaster recovery and ensures continuous medical operations
Before Commvault, SAM Medical Center manually cloned the data from its Hitachi G400 main storage system to Hitachi G200 secondary storage system using Hitachi TrueCopy software. It also operated a separate environment for remote volume copying through the disaster recovery system. With the expansion of Hyosan Medical Foundation’s business, SAM Medical Center needed to ensure it had sufficient capacity for storage devices and could reduce the time spent on data management.
Thanks to the support from Commvault’s partner, Efrikia Technology, SAM Medical Center built a flexible data management platform based on Commvault Complete Data Protection. This helped SAM Medical Center enable rapid recovery of data and minimize disruption to critical hospital operations.
“It is not the best to have a situation where disaster recovery is needed. But Commvault gives us the confidence that we can respond immediately to unexpected events, such as a ransomware attack or data loss caused by user mistakes,” said Park.
Commvault Complete Data Protection also supports incremental backup for operating servers and other equipment through its superior deduplication and compression functions.
“Commvault is the only vendor we found that offers an all-in-one solution for backup and disaster recovery. We expect to achieve 10x faster in backup speed and up to 40% data compression ratio,” said Park.
In addition, Commvault Command Center™ allows the administrators to easily monitor and view the status of the entire backup environment via the intuitive dashboard and reporting functions. This has greatly maximized the overall efficiency of data management.
Laid the foundation for a stable and efficient backup infrastructure
SAM Medical Center successfully deployed Commvault Complete Data Protection for all the systems of Hyosan Medical Foundation. It plans to further expand use of Commvault solutions for new projects in Korea and overseas.
“Commvault is the world’s leading data protection solution provider. Hyosan Medical Foundation will actively consider Commvault as the new backup and recovery system for overseas hospital infrastructure and medical services,” said Park.
“From proposal presentation to maintenance, we had positive experience with Commvault. In conjunction with excellent product quality and close support from partners, we have laid the foundation for reliable and cost-efficient IT operations.”