Sify partners with Commvault to reduce backup service delivery costs by 30%
Indian ICT service provider ensures data readiness across multi-cloud environments and increases competitive edge
- Needed a scalable and cost-effective solution to deliver Data Protection as a Service to customers and support today’s modern cloud environments
- Had to meet security demands from customers in multiple industries and running on different platforms, such as AWS, Microsoft, Google and VMware
- Wanted to enable the business to manage backup operations for the entire landscape, but with a scaled down team
- Adopted Commvault Complete™ Backup and Recovery as a unified data protection solution for multiple platforms
- Engaged Commvault Professional Services for initial architectural design and reporting customization
- 30% reduction in overall backup service delivery costs
- Reduced complexity in managing cross-platform backup and recovery operations across multiple data centers with a scaled down team.
- Ensured data security for customers with integrated encryption support
- Enhanced competitive edge by fully complying with customer demands from multiple verticals
Information Communication Technology
At a glance
Sify Technologies Ltd.
- India’s largest ICT service provider, system integrator, and all-in-one network solutions company
- Provides services to more than 3,000 enterprise cloud customers across multiple verticals such as banking, healthcare, manufacturing and government
- Operates 10 concurrently maintainable data centers and four cloud-ready data centers across five cities
Key assets protected
- Multiple databases including Oracle, Microsoft SQL, PostgreSQL, MySQL, MongoDB
- Various storage platforms including HPE 3PAR storage, Amazon S3 and Microsoft Azure Blob storage
- 350 TB front-end data across Azure, Amazon AWS, Google Cloud Platform, VMware, Microsoft Hyper-V and Linux KVM
- 2 PB backup data
We chose Commvault Complete Backup and Recovery because of its ability to scale cost effectively and support object storage as a target platform.
–Jitender Durairajan, Head of Cloud Engineering and Solutions
With Commvault intuitive interface, our support team can easily manage cross-platform backup migrations between different cloud providers via one console. This helped to ensure seamless operations without needing to increase resources.–Jitender Durairajan, Head of Cloud Engineering and Solutions
Commvault integrated deduplication and encryption support empowered our business to provide secure Data Protection as a Service to customers without any third-party solutions while saving 30% of our backup service delivery costs.— –Jitender Durairajan, Head of Cloud Engineering and Solutions
Ensuring security and recovery readiness in multi-cloud environment
Sify Technologies Ltd. was India’s first private Internet service provider. It has become one of the country’s largest integrated information and communication technology (ICT) service providers, offering a comprehensive range of cloud services to customers running on different platforms, including Microsoft Azure, Amazon AWS and Google Cloud. As the business expanded to offer Data Protection as a Service, Sify needed a reliable and scalable solution to support backup and recovery across multiple data centers in five different cities.
“We chose Commvault Complete Backup and Recovery because of its ability to scale cost-effectively and support object storage as a target platform,” said Jitender Durairajan, head of cloud engineering and solutions. “Data security is a top priority for our customers. Commvault enables us to enhance cybersecurity, improve our recovery readiness and meet compliance requirements.”
Slashing overall backup service delivery costs by 30%
Because the majority of Sify customers are large enterprise businesses from multiple industry verticals such as banking, manufacturing and government, the company focuses on providing reliable backup and recovery service to customers via the cloud. Sify ensures customer data is safe and supports long-term data retention requirements.
By adopting Commvault as a single tool for Data Protection as a Service, Sify can now quickly replicate customer data from production data centers – either on-premises private cloud or public cloud – to different zones as secondary copies on a daily, weekly or monthly basis, with minimal human intervention.
“With the Commvault intuitive interface, our support team can easily manage cross-platform backup migrations between different cloud providers via one console,” Jitender said. “This helped to ensure seamless operations without needing to increase resources.”
In addition, Commvault includes superior deduplication that enables Sify to save significant storage footprint in data centers. Commvault also integrates seamlessly with third-party tools like ServiceNow ITSM, giving customers the ability to generate self-provisioning reports and monitor their backup operations at any time.
“Commvault integrated deduplication and encryption support empowers our business to provide secure Data Protection as a Service to customers without any third-party solutions while saving 30% of our backup service delivery costs,” Jitender said.
Complying with customer demands and enhancing competitive edge
Using a single Commvault solution to manage backups and recovery in different platforms also elevated the position of Sify in the industry.
“Commvault simply exceeds our expectations. With its user-friendly features and integration capability with multiple platforms, we’ve never had any specific challenge on data readiness in meeting specific customer demands,” Jitender said.
Sify also engaged with Commvault Professional Services for architectural design and customizing reporting features for Data Protection as a Service.
“The Commvault Professional Services team brought to the table a thorough understanding of our needs and also ensured our migration to Commvault was hassle-free and delivered the project in a timely manner,” Jitender said.