Commvault and AWS: Simplifying healthcare data management
Integrated cloud storage solutions for modern healthcare data management
The data-driven healthcare era is here, and healthcare providers are under growing pressure to do more with the data they manage. The advent of advanced analytics, AI, and machine learning is necessitating a healthcare shift to the cloud to improve the secure delivery of patient care.
With native integration to Amazon Web Services (AWS), Commvault can quickly and securely help healthcare organizations manage data migration from their data centers to the cloud – or from other public or private clouds – to AWS. And with the simplicity of a single console to manage data both locally and stored in the cloud, this integrated solution minimizes administrative overhead and the need for specialized appliances.
Commvault and AWS can help you reduce costs, simplify enterprise data management, and better prepare for future data growth.
- Streamline Advanced Analytics – Simplify the ability to get the answers you need, when you need them.
- Increase Agility and Flexibility – Optimize compute power and ensure use of the right compute infrastructure to derive meaning from the data.
- Improve Backup and Recovery – Protect against events like natural disasters or onsite infrastructure failures with secure, reliable, high-performance data storage and access. Lower Operational Costs (Pay-As-You-Go) – Reduce administrative and storage overhead for infrequently accessed medical and business data in the data center by tiering to more scalable, lower-cost AWS cloud storage.
- Match Storage Costs to Service Levels – Align storage costs to SLA profile of services/applications with automated, policy-based data movement and tiering.
- Reduce Complexity – Integrate management of both local and cloud storage from a single console to minimize administrative overhead and the need for specialized gateway appliances.
Helping you solve key industry challenges
Commvault and AWS can also help you address key healthcare industry challenges:
- Cybersecurity – Healthcare organizations continue to be a top target of cybercriminals, making data protection and security a top priority for every organization. Commvault and AWS offer comprehensive backup and recovery solutions that minimize clinical disruption, time to restore, and are hardware independent. Encrypt data in-flight and at-rest with integrated, FIPS-certified Commvault encryption software.
- Enterprise Data Management – Simplify the management of business and clinical data – including EHR and medical imaging– within a single platform. Take advantage of complete data management capabilities, including backup, archiving, recovery and search across databases, applications and endpoints — both on-premises and in AWS.
- Medical Image Management – Medical imaging data represents the majority of clinical data volume for most provider organizations. With Commvault, this data is backed-up and archived alongside data from the rest of the enterprise, reducing costs, maximizing availability to clinicians, and simplifying overall enterprise data management.
- Organizational Growth – As mergers, acquisitions, and affiliations continue throughout the healthcare industry, protection of data associated with acquired organizations can create vulnerabilities in your protection strategy. With Commvault, organizations can maximize their visibility to this data while enforcing consistent policies.
- Analytics – As the industry becomes more data-driven, Commvault and the AWS Cloud can help organizations leverage the power of the cloud to drive initiatives such as population health and precision medicine.
- Cloud Transition – Together, Commvault and AWS can simplify the move to the cloud. Commvault software can be used to help move, manage and use data both across the enterprise and with AWS Cloud using a single platform, allowing organizations to move data seamlessly to the cloud at their own pace.
- Regulatory Compliance – Better understanding and management of data is a critical component to complying with regulations such as HIPAA and the European Union’s General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). Commvault can help break down data silos towards more comprehensive and meaningful management of data. This extends throughout the entire enterprise and maximizes the value of this data in the delivery of patient care. Both Commvault and AWS services are GDPR-ready.
In focus: PACs backup and archiving
Commvault can back-up Picture Archiving and Communication System (PACS) data, and with integration to AWS Cloud, can do so in a way that is cost-effective, highly-scalable, and available for restore whenever you need it. Beyond backup, Commvault can also serve as the archive storage tier for all PACS across the entire enterprise, allowing organizations to take full advantage of Commvault’s strongest features: a single administrative view to all data, and freedom to leverage any infrastructure without proprietary limitations. In addition, with Commvault OnePass technology, backup and archiving is converged into a single operation, increasing efficiency and optimizing storage of data based on age and usage.
In focus: EHR data protection
Protect critical EHR data with this fast, simple, and comprehensive solution.
Automated snapshot management is at the heart of Commvaultâ€™s EHR data protection. The array-based storage hardware snapshots integrated directly into our data management platform let you seamlessly protect data for all your EHR systems. You can then recover entire file systems and databases within moments of failure â€” mitigating the risk of patient information loss.
Commvault and AWS integration
Commvault and AWS deliver cost-effective data management solutions to help you manage data in the cloud. Commvault software provides a single data management platform that seamlessly integrates with Amazon Simple Storage Service (Amazon S3), Amazon Simple Storage Service Infrequent Access (Amazon S3-IA), AWS Snowball, and Amazon Glacier for long term data retention. Commvault also supports Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud (EC2), enabling our customers to move entire workloads into EC2 instances to quickly scale capacity as computing needs change. And based on configurable AWS lifecycle policies, Commvault allows users to effectively tier storage costs according to the SLA profile of the data/application/service â€” not only from on-premise storage into AWS cloud storage, but also automatically for data moving from S3 into Glacier.
Streamlined data management for Amazon Simple Storage Service
Commvault software is integrated with and supports Amazon Simple Storage Service (S3). Commvault software seamlessly provides automated, policy based data movement between on-premises disk-based storage and Amazon S3, all from a centralized console. Commvault software delivers integrated alerting, reporting, tracking, and data verification of data copies in the cloud, while Amazon S3 provides highly scalable, reliable, and secure cloud storage.
Advanced data protection for Amazon S3 standard-infrequent access and Amazon Glacier
Commvault software is one of the first major storage software platforms that integrated with Amazon S3-Infrequent Access (IA) and Amazon Glacier.
Amazon Glacier is an extremely low cost storage service that provides secure and durable storage for long-term archiving and backup. Commvault’s built-in data tiering capabilities allow our customers and service providers to automate data movement into AWS based on user-defined policies while concurrently meeting their compliance objectives. Leveraging a single solution to support Amazon Glacier and Amazon S3 helps provide a simple, cost effective means to provide cloud based services to meet service level agreement (SLA) and budgetary requirements.
IT departments and Services Providers consistently seek innovative ways to store long term backups and archives in a cost-effective manner, where the data is not expected to be restored frequently, and is stored in deduplicated form to minimize long term capacity growth and TCO. With the integrated capabilities of Commvault Data Protection, Amazon S3, and Amazon Glacier, customers can move deduplicated secondary or tertiary copy backups and archives into durable, highly available, extremely low-cost cloud storage, often replacing onsite tape silos. This can result in significant savings by freeing up space for newer deduplicated backups on higher performing disks. Customers can effectively tier storage costs according to the SLA profile of the data/application/service, not only from on-premises storage to AWS cloud storage, but automatically tier data from Amazon S3 to Amazon Glacier based on configurable AWS lifecycle policies as well.
In focus: cost reduction
Leveraging Amazon S3 and Amazon Glacier cloud storage services provide a scalable, durable model that typically allows for lower overall operational costs than on-premises solutions that require provisioning, power and cooling, technical refreshes and more. Customers can also reduce the need to pre-purchase large amounts of spare capacity in anticipation of future data growth, enabling customers to pay only for the services they use on AWS.
Long term data retention within Amazon S3 and Amazon Glacier also lowers compliance costs associated with tape media. By retaining data in the cloud, tape infrastructure can be augmented or replaced – delivering extremely durable and cost-effective offsite archiving and disaster recovery. By using Commvault Data Protection’s content indexing prior to storage in Amazon S3 or archival in Amazon Glacier, customers can make eDiscovery requests from a centralized console independent of the physical location of data.
Based on relevant use cases, Commvault software can further lower storage related costs with integrated data deduplication, reducing the footprint of secondary backup and archive copies, before being sent over the network and stored in Amazon S3 and Amazon Glacier.
In focus: secure cloud data management
The combined Commvault and AWS solution provides authentication and secure upload/download processes, helping ensure data is kept safe from unauthorized access and the ongoing ransomware threat in the healthcare space. Users can protect data starting from the source with in-stream encryption, and then extend encryption to data at-rest in the cloud. Commvault software supports a variety of FIPS certified encryption algorithms including Blowfish, AES, and 3-DES, to allow organizations to configure the right data encryption approach to meet their security requirements.
This integrated data management solution allows healthcare organizations to fully leverage the economics of cloud-based storage. Commvault software manages alerting, reporting, tracking, and data verification as if AWS infrastructure were located within an organization’s on-premises data center. This seamless approach eliminates the need for gateway hardware appliances or scripting – reducing the cost and complexity of cloud storage integration.