Commvault for OpenStack®
Resource Library - Datasheet and Brochure
Commvault for OpenStack
- Performs OpenStack instance protection of both traditional and next-gen workloads
- Native “top-down” cloud integration using OpenStack Application Programming Interfaces (APIs)
- Tenant-aware self-service, via Commvault Command Center™ - a web-based admin console user interface
- Simplified Service Level Agreement (SLA)-based protection plans
- Available as an appliance-based solution, software-only, or as a hybrid solution
The promise of a highly scalable, tenant-focused, and vendor-agnostic cloud framework is what makes OpenStack appealing to so many organizations. As more enterprises deploy this open source, community-driven solution, a need for enterprise-grade protection that is both OpenStack-aware and integrates with its native APIs becomes a requirement. This allows them to run OpenStack cloud instances as production workloads. Additionally, being conceived to run Mode 2 Virtual Machines (VMs), OpenStack is continuously evolving, making it a multi-mode cloud with diverse use cases and its own unique challenges.
Data protection challenges for OpenStack instances
With a massively scalable and distributed nature, OpenStack environments often encompass thousands of VMs. Built-in self-service helps shift control to the end-user, resulting in administrators frequently not knowing which types of workloads are living in their OpenStack cloud. Additionally, traditional and next-gen VMs co-mingle within the same cloud with multiple differing storage requirements. To address these complex challenges, Commvault offers an SLA-based protection solution with multiple tiers of access (from tenant to admin) that can quickly scale-out to meet the demands of a fast-growing OpenStack environment.
Comprehensive data management for the OpenStack Cloud
Backup and recovery
- Native snapshot integration with OpenStack Cinder and Nova, for uninterrupted protection from the cloud layer.
- Application-consistent protection via Commvault’s App-Aware plugin helps ensure that your applications are adequately protected and fully recoverable.
- Quickly recover individual files from within an OpenStack instance, without the need for in-guest agents.
- Non-intrusive hot-add methodology requires no modification to your cloud infrastructure.
Simplified, scalable data protection powered by the Commvault Virtual Server Agent
Global management and proactive monitoring
- Protect, manage, monitor, and report on multiple OpenStack clouds from within a single view
- Use a single interface to recover data to any managed OpenStack cloud
- Single licensing model can cover all OpenStack instances across multiple clouds
Cloud aware integration
- Flexibility in targeting unique and persistent data while filtering out ephemeral components
- Protection infrastructure is hidden from tenants, to minimize impact on quotas and tenant resources
- Volume-level restores preserve unique VM identifiers without impacting VM management tools
Simplified deployment and administration
- Software-based solution offers flexible deployments options
- VMware-to-OpenStack conversions facilitate workload migration
- Tenant-aware self-service capabilities are available via Commvault Command Center™ - an easy-to-use, web-based admin console user interface
Flexible and easy-to-use
As a software-based solution, Commvault provides extreme flexibility in deployment options. Commvault also offers an integrated solution with its Commvault HyperScale™ technology that combines all aspects of the data management platform in a scale-out system. For OpenStack, Commvault utilizes a hot-add protection methodology, so additional protection proxies can be easily and quickly deployed to meet the needs of your business. A single management interface consolidates all configuration, management, and reporting tools into a simple-to-operate portal, greatly reducing your administrative burden.
You rely on OpenStack to simplify and extend your data center infrastructure. Commvault lets you extend that simplicity to data protection with a fully-integrated OpenStack solution that can help you meet your unique data protection needs, both now and in the future.
Commvault’s converged data management solution redefines what backup means for the progressive enterprise. With innovative products that include Commvault Complete™ Backup & Recovery; Commvault HyperScale™; Commvault Orchestrate™; and Commvault Activate™, Commvault offers an integrated range of backup and recovery, storage infrastructure, service delivery orchestration and data governance solutions.