Commvault HyperScale X Solution Brief
Modernize your approach to data management with a scale-out infrastructure
Commvault HyperScale™ X Technology accelerates hybrid cloud adoption with an integrated solution
Challenges with traditional scale-up architectures
Managing data is challenging. You may be making it more difficult using a legacy, scale-up architecture that wasn’t designed for today’s modern infrastructures that span on-premises and the cloud. Traditional enterprise backup focused on proprietary, dedicated servers and storage to run the backup software and storage management services like deduplication. This created the following challenges:
- Data silos/data fragmentation: With scale-up, when an appliance fills up, you purchase another one, which is managed separately. This increases complexity and limits visibility into your data.
- Over-buying capacity upfront: With scale-up, you must forecast your future growth, which results in overprovisioning storage upfront and spending more than you need to.
- Expensive forklift upgrades: When it’s time to renew your appliance, you’re forced into an expensive forklift upgrade that typically requires taking your system offline to migrate your data.
- Poor cloud integration: With many scale-up solutions, you have a limited or inability to migrate data to the cloud, or migration requires another solution, adding complexity and cost.
- Performance declines as capacity expands: With scale-up, the system is sized for maximum capacity, so as you expand storage capacity within an appliance, your performance degrades.
Scale-out: A better approach
By shifting data management and protection to a scale-out architecture, you can help transform your environment to be as flexible, resilient and scalable as public cloud infrastructure. Predictable performance and hardware costs, operational efficiencies and simplified support allow the replacement of limited and legacy backup tools with a modern data management solution that enables you to protect all your workloads running on-premises, in hybrid cloud and in multi-cloud environments.
How Commvault HyperScale X solves modern data management
Commvault HyperScale X technology accelerates hybrid cloud adoption with an integrated solution that delivers comprehensive data management for all workloads, including containers, virtual and databases, from a single, extensible platform. It is available in two form factors giving you the flexibility to choose an implementation based on your specific needs and preferences:
|Commvault HyperScale X Appliance||Commvault HyperScale X Software|
|Fully integrated appliance that streamlines operations and infrastructure||Choose the pre-validated hardware platform and configuration from one of|
our industry-leading technology partners
|Ideally suited for smaller deployments with capacity requirements of <150 TB that want the simplicity of an all-in-one integrated appliance from a single vendor||Provides greater flexibility and allows you to leverage your existing vendor relationships|
|Ideally suited for larger environments that require greater scale (>500 TB)|
In addition, the flexibility extends to mixing and matching these choices in the same environment while managing it all centrally from the Commvault Command Center™ as a single solution.
With Commvault HyperScale X, you can leverage the entire Commvault software portfolio giving you access to all the features, functions, and industry leading integration with applications, databases, public cloud environments, hypervisors, operating systems, NAS systems and primary storage arrays.2 Wherever your data resides, you have ability to view it, use it, and confidently protect it.
What’s new with Commvault HyperScale X technology?
Commvault HyperScale X represents the first integration of technology from Commvault’s Hedvig® acquisition into the Commvault portfolio, which adds the following benefits:
- Enhanced resiliency in expansion/failure scenarios using automatic and intelligent load balancing across nodes, including the ability to tolerate multiple hardware failures
- Greater and more cost-optimized scalability enabling you to expand the storage pool in single-node increments, avoiding excess costs caused by over-provisioning
- Increased performance enabled through automatic load balancing that optimizes the efficiency and performance per node without any intervention
Commvault HyperScale X also includes enhancements to the network configuration deployment process accelerating your time to first backup.
What are the primary benefits of Commvault HyperScale X?
Commvault HyperScale X provides the following benefits regardless of the implementation option:
- High performance backup and recovery with automatic load balancing, enhanced recovery capabilities and linear performance
- Optimized scalability with incremental storage growth up to 5 PB of capacity within a single deduplicated storage pool
- Cost-optimized cloud data mobility with the ability to easily back up, recover and move data to, from, within and between clouds using policy-driven rules
- Built-in resiliency with ransomware protection, which maintains data availability in the event of concurrent hardware failures and mitigates ransomware impacts via intelligent monitoring to detect data anomalies and alert users
- Data reuse via integrated copy data management that provides instant recovery of VMs, enables disaster recovery testing of replicas directly from the hardware, and provides live production copies of data for DevOps and testing
Commvault HyperScale X is a fresh approach to data management
Commvault HyperScale X is an intuitive and easy-to-deploy, scale-out solution that is fully integrated with Commvault’s intelligent data management platform to help enterprises transition from legacy scale-up infrastructures. It provides unmatched scalability, security and resiliency to accelerate an organization’s digital transformation journey as they move to hybrid cloud, container and virtualized environments. Its flexible architecture allows you to get up and running quickly and grow as your needs demand.
1 Gartner Magic Quadrant for Distributed File Systems and Object Storage, September 2019
Learn more about HyperScale X and how to save
Accelerate hybrid cloud adoption, scale-out as needed, and manage data workloads from a single intuitive platform.
See how you can calculate your savings.