Solution brief: Commvault secures endpoint data with data loss prevention
As the global workforce continues to become more mobile, there is an increased risk of breach and data leakage from lost or stolen laptops. IT leaders want to keep corporate data secure and protected and out of the hands of unauthorized users, minimizing compliance and litigation risks while protecting intellectual property. They also want to minimize the hardware and resource costs of getting users working and productive again.
Commvault® software is a complete endpoint data protection solution that increases end user productivity by providing unparalleled access to protected content for users to search, sync, and share without compromise to security. Data resides in the ContentStore, a virtual repository for all Commvault software managed data that drives efficiency and enhances value from protected content, through access, security, governance, and analytics. Data Loss Prevention ensures critical business data is protected and secure in the event of an unforeseen incident. It reduces both the risks and costs associated with data breach.
With Commvault software, files and folders can be encrypted by the administrator or end user, preventing unauthorized access in the event of a loss or breach. Without the user-defined pass-key, encrypted content from a lost or stolen endpoint cannot be accessed.
Data Encryption Features:
- Administrator managed policies that define what documents are locked (encrypted), encryption behavior, and how data can be unlocked
- User managed encryption using the Windows Explorer plug-in
- Pass-key is only required if a laptop is marked as lost or is unable to contact the server
Keeping the mobile workforce working efficiently means protecting their devices, while making it easy for them to access and recover lost or deleted files. Commvault protects your data wherever it lives with secure, efficient backup and recovery.
Commvault software provides remote wipe capabilities per administrator defined policy to prevent a breach of data from lost or stolen laptops.
Remote Wipe Features:
- Administrator managed policies that define a period of time, in days, when the client has not contacted the server, to initiate a secure erase of data
- Users can mark endpoint as lost or stolen from the web console or the administrator can perform the remote wipe from the Commvault Command Center™
- Ability to erase only protected content or the entire hard drive
- Content is erased and blocks are zeroed out
Commvault software provides the ability to track and record the location history of a laptop at the time of the last connection with the server. That information can then be used to track a device that has been lost or stolen.
- Location is identified based on the vector of endpoint IP address on the last connection
- Details such as street, city, state, and country are provided
- A map interface powered by Mapbox Streets provides a graphical representation for the location and device status