Data Protection for Converged Infrastructures
Protecting virtual server environments and Pure Storage FlashStack with Commvault software
Converged Infrastructure (CI), has changed the way organizations deploy IT services. By combining the full stack of data center technologies into pre-engineered, tested, optimized, and supported systems, integrated infrastructure allows this entire stack to operate as one. The inherent simplicity of this model is rapidly shifting IT service deployment models away from legacy, silo’d IT platforms, built on separate management software, servers, storage, and networking equipment towards a converged model.
But while converged infrastructures are designed to be hardware compatible, data protection operations are a different matter. Applications, databases, and hypervisor layers have unique requirements and must be integrated with the underlying infrastructure to be most effective. Too often this requires multiple tools and significant manual effort without a comprehensive view of operations. Commvault with Pure Storage and Cisco together deliver on the operational simplicity promised by converged infrastructure.
Virtual server infrastructures require unified data protection
IT has reached an inflection point in the adoption of virtual server technologies. In fact, Gartner reported that 80% of x86 server workloads are virtualized, fueled by virtualization technologies becoming more lightweight, supporting more workloads and agile development.1 Virtual server technologies promise great improvement in resource utilization and delivering upon the SLA requirements of the business. Cisco and Pure Storage provide the right infrastructure to ensure performance reliability for the most critical virtualized environments with FlashStack. FlashStack is built on industry-leading Cisco UCS management software, UCS servers and Nexus networking switches and Pure Storage all-flash arrays. The implementation of virtual server technologies and FlashStack provides the foundational integration of the application and hypervisor with hardware infrastructure, and with Commvault software, organizations are able to meet more stringent recovery time and recovery point objectives. Commvault® software provides powerful simplicity with IntelliSnap® snapshot technology integrating infrastructure together with the virtual server infrastructure to accelerate backup and recovery:
- Faster time to value: the Commvault software may be deployed to accelerate migration from existing legacy infrastructures to the modern FlashStack CI to decrease implementation time and minimize risk.
- Integrated data protection and recovery: application aware backup and snapshot orchestration provides integrated protection of FlashStack’s physical and virtual servers.
- Make Snapshots Smart: intelligent integration orchestrates between Pure Storage hardware snapshots, applications, and hypervisors to capture clean, recoverable application images.
- Maximize the value of FlashStack: eliminate scripting and automate application and hypervisor aware snapshot and recovery operations.
- Increase understanding: a single, virtual data repository delivering insight across storage, applications, hypervisors, and data protection operations; from primary to secondary copies and to archives.
- Seamless migration to the cloud: integration of enterprise applications, storage arrays, and cloud storage providers enables the portability of workloads to and from the cloud, within the cloud, and on-premises and in virtualized environments.
- Faster decision-making and application development: active copy management eliminates unnecessary copies of data using policy-based automation while enabling the creation of dev/test copies within minutes, not hours or days.
Commvault software delivers powerful simplicity for protection of virtual and physical environments while making the transition to FlashStack a smooth and seamless process.
Solution Brief: Accelerate your data recovery with Commvault Readiness Solutions Read more
Commvault software benefits
- Unified, integrated data protection and recovery of the converged and hyper-converged infrastructure
- Flexible options include snapshots, backup, archive, and reporting
- A proven and validated solution
- Faster time to value
- Quickly recover, access, and leverage data across the enterprise
Commvault Software and the FlashStack converged infrastructure
Commvault software provides powerful backup and recovery simplicity with FlashStack with the most advanced data protection and management solutions available today.
As strategic partners, Commvault, Cisco, and Pure Storage have collaborated on optimizing converged infrastructure environments;
- Pure Storage FlashStack: a flexible, all-flash infrastructure solution from Pure Storage and Cisco that combines the latest in management, compute, network, storage hardware and virtualization software, into a single, integrated architecture.
- Cisco UCS C240: C-Series Rack Servers deliver unified computing in an industry-standard form factor to reduce TCO and increase agility. Each server addresses varying workload challenges through a balance of processing, memory, I/O, and internal storage resources.
- Cisco UCS S3260: S-Series Storage Servers deliver rapid scalability and performance to activate your data and insights in real time. The modular architecture lets you right-size infrastructure for the workload and operate with the efficiency and predictable TCO you need.
- Commvault software: delivers a unified, automated data protection platform that provides a single, complete view of all enterprise data wherever it resides; on-premises or in the cloud.
The integrated stack of infrastructure and data protection operations accelerates the ability to achieve the most stringent SLAs while reducing hardware and software costs, mitigating risks, and minimizing complexity. The solution has been tested and qualified as a Cisco Validated Design (CVD); FlashStack Virtual Server Infrastructure with Commvault data protection.
Cisco Validated Designs (CVDs)
provide the foundation for systems design based on common use cases. They incorporate a broad set of technologies, features, and applications to address customer needs. Each one has been comprehensively tested and documented by Cisco engineers to ensure faster, more reliable, and fully predictable deployment
Why Commvault software for virtual server infrastructure on FlashStack?
Commvault software offers a completely fresh approach to data management that is optimized for the new challenges of the virtualized data center with a converged infrastructure. This single platform approach to data management and protection helps reduce both cost and risk by eliminating the need for multiple point products by delivering a fully integrated solution across physical, virtual, and cloud based components. Commvault also eliminates the corresponding data silos that come with those stand-alone, point products. It enables users to store, protect, optimize, and use their data across the enterprise and results in more efficient operations and data management initiatives.
Bottom-line: Commvault can deliver a single platform solution that enables you to control costs, meet SLAs, and scale up as needed, without adding unnecessary and expensive complexity. Designed for on-premises, virtual server, cloud, and hybrid environments, it provides the data protection for virtual server infrastructures on FlashStack at the service levels needed to support your organization.
Learn how Commvault and Cisco supports your virtual servers and FlashStack for streamlined and simplified data protection.
For more information
For more information about Commvault software, visit commvault.com
For more information about Cisco, visit commvault.com/supported-technologies/cisco
For more information about FlashStack, visit flashstack.com