Database backup and recovery datasheet
Accelerate recovery, increase performance and easily migrate data to the cloud
With the wide array of databases currently deployed in the market, you need a unified approach to protecting and managing your entire database environment that enables you to migrate workloads to the cloud faster, back up your databases more efficiently, and streamline data access, all while supporting copy data management capabilities.
Commvault Complete™ Backup & Recovery and Commvault Orchestrate™ make it easy with support for a wide range of databases, including Oracle, Microsoft SQL Server, SAP, MySQL, IBM DB2, PostgreSQL, Informix, and Sybase, as well as protection for distributed applications including MongoDB, Cassandra, Greenplum, Hadoop, and IBM Spectrum Scale.
Common database challenges
You’re likely encountering some of the following challenges in your current database environment:
- Lack of centralized visibility across your entire enterprise database environment
- Lack of integration with database vendor native backup tools, which inhibits efficiency
- Database bloat that leads to slower backup performance from backing up inactive data over and over
- Slow and inefficient process for obtaining copies of production data for dev/test purposes
- Slower network performance from transferring large database files over the wire or to the cloud
To address these challenges, you need a comprehensive approach to database backup and recovery that provides the following benefits:
One solution for all your data. Protect all your important data, wherever it lives, with a unified approach to data access, administration and policy management.
Deep integration. Robust integration with vendors’ native tools enables greater self-service, increases efficiency, and provides peace of mind.
No more database bloat. Keep your primary production storage lean through archiving by automatically moving data to less expensive storage based on user-defined policies.
Accelerated dev/test cycles. Provision virtualized copies of the latest production data automatically within minutes instead of hours using copy data management.
Improved performance and efficiency. Global deduplication eliminates redundant data at the source, shrinking data volumes for more efficient movement between on-premises and cloud deployments.
Full data lifecycle coverage. Manage your data across its full lifecycle: from dev/test to production to archiving and retirement.
Enterprise support for cloud solutions. Commvault® software provides a more efficient and cost-effective way to move your workloads to the cloud and protect them once they’re there.
- Migrate. Move on-premises workloads to the cloud quickly with native cloud support
- Automate. Link business processes to workloads easily with customizable orchestration and automated workflows
- Protect. Apply deduplication, compression and encryption to all applications and data, in transit and at rest
You can automatically create virtual machine compute instances with all the appropriate resources, including storage and software, as part of a single migration workflow to accelerate your move to the cloud. Because data can be migrated directly to these virtual instances, the cloud becomes an extension of your physical data center — helping you cut storage and data management costs.
Database Management. Improve the efficiency and performance of your databases by addressing copy data management challenges, accelerating your backup and recovery processes, and more.
- Streamline. Eliminate data sprawl by defining policies for automatically expiring copies that are no longer needed.
- Recover. Restore just what you need with granular recovery – from individual tables to entire apps and clone copies
- Innovate. Improve dev/test efficiency with self-service access to copy data, reducing wait times and admin intervention
Meet your aggressive recovery objectives and eliminate backup-window concerns with automated snapshots that are significantly faster than traditional backups. Our single, unified solution gives you centralized visibility into your entire database environment — and can automatically discover and backup databases without any admin intervention.
Database backup and recovery summary
Commvault software provides comprehensive backup, recovery, and data management for your database environment enabling you to protect your data wherever it lives, seamlessly migrate data to where it is needed, meet aggressive recovery SLAs, improve system performance, and accelerate dev/test.