Commvault for Amazon Web Services (AWS) Datasheet
- Protection for AWS-native workloads using agentless, agent, and snapshot approaches
- Data migration and conversion from on-premises Virtual Machines (VMs) and other cloud instances to AWS
- Application-consistent instance-level backups using application-aware agents
- Storage tiering, deduplication, and power management to help reduce costs
- Integration with AWS security mechanisms (IAM roles, STS Assume, and Access Keys)
- Disaster recovery with failover and failback support to/from AWS
AWS provides a market-leading public cloud environment, ideal for running flexible, scalable, and resilient workloads. At Commvault, we believe that the simplicity, security, and auditability you’ve come to expect from your on-premises data protection solution should also work in AWS. That’s why our solution offers extensive support for AWS Infrastructure-as-a-Service (IaaS), Platform-as-a-Service (PaaS), and AWS storage offerings. We help reduce the administrative burden on your IT team with a single, intuitive web-based console – for on-premises, in public cloud, and in hybrid environments – one that’s capable of delivering a complete suite of vital data protection features for AWS. Commvault’s data protection platform provides integration with many AWS services and enables essential capabilities including:
- Global management of your AWS environment through a single, easy-to-use, web-based management console
- Agentless guest protection of Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud (EC2) instances
- “Incremental Forever” data protection
- Easy recovery and restore of full Amazon EC2 instances, guest files, and folders
- Protection of data residing in Amazon Simple Storage Service (S3) buckets and Amazon Elastic File System (EFS) shares
- The ability to store backups with Commvault’s proven compression, deduplication, and encryption in all tiers of AWS storage – Amazon S3 Standard, Amazon S3 Standard-Infrequent Access, and Amazon Glacier – without requiring gateway appliances or Virtual Tape Library (VTL) emulation
- Protect Platform-as-a-Service (PaaS) workloads including Amazon Relational Database Service (RDS) databases
- The ability to efficiently move large volumes of data into and out of AWS via integration with AWS Snowball, AWS Snowball Edge, and AWS Snowmobile
- Support for all AWS public regions, AWS GovCloud, AWS C2S, and AWS SC2S
- Conversion of on-premise VMware and Hyper-V Virtual Machines (VMs) into Amazon EC2 instances, with Live Sync replication of critical on-premises VMs to Amazon EC2 for efficient and effective DR in AWS
- Conversion of on-premises Microsoft SQL Server databases into Amazon RDS SQL instances
- Conversion of on-premises Oracle databases into AWS
- Automatic power management of Commvault infrastructure servers running in Amazon EC2
Data protection challenges in the public cloud
Protecting public workloads using native tools can be complex. To protect AWS workloads and datasets, organizations frequently resort to creating their own scripts to orchestrate the different snapshot and replication methods available with the various AWS services. These scripts can be difficult to maintain, audit, and scale as your organization takes advantage of the flexibility and elasticity of AWS. And if your organization has regulatory or business process requirements to create secondary copies of backups in other cloud providers or back in your on-premises datacenter, this complexity increases exponentially.
Comprehensive data protection for AWS
Backup and recovery
- Protection of Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud (EC2), Amazon Elastic Block Storage (EBS), and Amazon Relational Database Service (RDS) datasets via both snapshots and a robust set of application-specific agents.
- Conversion and “accelerated” Hot-Add conversion of VMware and Microsoft Hyper-V VMs into Amazon EC2 instances allows you to easily migrate into AWS.
- Snapshots of Amazon EC2, Amazon Elastic Block Storage (EBS), and Amazon RDS datasets can be easily replicated to other AWS regions for redundancy.
Global management and proactive monitoring
- Protect, manage, monitor, and report on all your workloads across on-premises, multiple AWS accounts and regions from a single, consolidated view.
- Recover data from a single interface to any AWS region, to an on-premises datacenter, or to other cloud providers.
- Automatic power management of cloud components when not in use.
AWS storage integration
- Supports all tiers of AWS storage: Amazon S3 Standard, Amazon S3-IA, One-Zone-IA; Z-IA, and Amazon Glacier.
- Directly integrate with all tiers of AWS storage without the need for gateways.
- Reduce AWS S3 storage costs by leveraging Commvault compression and deduplication for backups.
- Supports Amazon Glacier Vault Lock for WORM and compliance storage.
Simplified deployment and administration
- Software-based solution offers flexible deployments options.
- Single management interface reduces learning curve and deployment complexity.
- Single licensing model can cover all AWS workloads in an enterprise.
Flexible and easy-to-use
As a software-based solution, Commvault provides extreme flexibility in deployment options. Commvault also offers an integrated solution with its HyperScale™ technology that combines all aspects of the data management platform in a scale-out system. Commvault can also be deployed as a completely virtual or cloud-based protection platform, depending on the needs of your business. The Commvault Command Center™ – a centralized, web-based management interface – consolidates all configuration, management, and reporting tools into a simple-to-operate portal, greatly reducing your administrative burden.
You rely on AWS to provide a flexible environment for your workloads. Commvault lets you extend that flexibility to data protection with a fully-integrated solution for Amazon Web Services that can help you meet your unique data protection needs, both now and in the future.