Modernize your approach to data management with a scale-out infrastructure
Commvault HyperScale™ X Technology accelerates hybrid cloud adoption with an integrated solution.
Challenges with traditional scale-up architectures
Managing data is challenging. You may be making it more difficult using a legacy, scale-up architecture that wasn’t designed for today’s modern infrastructures that span on-premises and the cloud. Traditional enterprise backup focused on proprietary, dedicated servers and storage to run the backup software and storage management services like deduplication. This created the following challenges:
- Data silos/data fragmentation: When an appliance fills up, you purchase another one, which is managed separately. This increases complexity and limits visibility into your data.
- Over-buying capacity upfront: You must forecast your future growth, which may result in overprovisioning storage upfront and spending more than you need to.
- Expensive forklift upgrades: When it’s time to renew your appliance, you’re forced into an expensive forklift upgrade that typically requires taking your system offline to migrate your data.
- Poor cloud integration: Many scale-up solutions have a limited ability or inability to migrate data to the cloud, or migrating data requires another solution, adding complexity and cost.
- Performance declines as capacity expands: Systems are sized for maximum capacity, so as you expand storage capacity within an appliance, your performance degrades.
Scale-out: A better approach
By shifting data management and protection to a scale-out architecture, you can help transform your environment to be as flexible, resilient, and scalable as public cloud infrastructure. Predictable performance and hardware costs, operational efficiencies, and simplified support allow the replacement of limited and legacy backup tools with a modern data management solution that enables you to protect all your workloads running on-premises, in hybrid cloud, and in multi-cloud environments.
of organizations have a multi-cloud strategy; 82% are taking a hybrid approach.1
How Commvault HyperScale X solves modern data management
Commvault HyperScale X accelerates hybrid cloud adoption with an integrated solution that delivers comprehensive data management for all workloads, including containers, virtual, and databases, from a single, extensible platform. It is available in two form factors giving you the flexibility to choose an implementation based on your specific needs and preferences:
|Commvault HyperScale™ X Appliance||Commvault HyperScale™ X Software|
|Fully integrated appliance that streamlines operations|
|Choose the pre-validated hardware platform and configuration from one of our industry-leading technology partners|
|Ideally suited for smaller deployments with capacity requirements of <150 TB that want the simplicity of an all-in-one integrated appliance from a single vendor||Provides greater flexibility and allows you to leverage your existing vendor relationships|
|Ideally suited for larger environments that require greater scale (>500 TB)|
With Commvault HyperScale™ X, you can leverage the entire Commvault software portfolio giving you access to all the features, functions, and industry leading integration with applications, databases, public cloud environments, hypervisors, operating systems, NAS systems, and primary storage arrays.2 Wherever your data resides, you have ability to view it, use it, and confidently protect it.
Flexible deployment options
Commvault HyperScale X provides two approaches to leverage the hybrid cloud:
- Start on-prem, extend to cloud. This is for customers who want to protect on-premises data center workloads using HyperScale X, manage their own infrastructure, and extend to the cloud – including Metallic™ Cloud Storage Service – for secondary and/or air-gapped copies of data.
- Start with SaaS, use HyperScale X as edge storage. This approach is for customers who want the simplicity of SaaS data protection (e.g., Metallic™ backup as-a-service), but want to deploy HyperScale X at the edge, providing local air-gapped copies for faster recovery and lower costs.
Regardless of which implementation option you choose – traditional HyperScale X or HyperScale X for Metallic – Commvault delivers a unified customer experience through Commvault Command Center.
What differentiates Commvault HyperScale X?
HyperScale X uses a distributed scale-out file system that – when combined with Commvault Complete™ Data Protection software capabilities – provides the following benefits regardless of the implementation option:
- High performance backup and recovery with automatic load balancing that optimizes the efficiency and performance per node and enables enhanced recovery capabilities
- Optimized scalability that supports single-node expansion of a cluster up to 5PB of capacity within a single deduplicated storage pool, avoiding excess costs caused by overprovisioning
- Cost-optimized cloud data mobility with the ability to easily backup, recover, and move data to, from, within, and between clouds natively (no additional solutions required) using policy-driven rules
- Built-in resiliency that enhances availability in expansion/failure scenarios and increases resiliency as you add nodes, including the ability to support multiple hardware failures, reducing downtime
- Enhanced ransomware protection that provides multiple layers of immutability across the software, OS, and file system to help prevent protected data from being accidentally or maliciously encrypted, modified, or deleted, helping you recover data in the event of an attack
HyperScale X also includes enhancements that simplify deployment for complex or security-focused networks, accelerating your
time to first backup.
Commvault HyperScale™ X is a fresh approach to data management
Hyperscale X is an intuitive and easy to deploy, scale-out solution that is fully integrated with Commvault’s Intelligent Data Services platform to help enterprises transition from legacy scale-up infrastructures. It provides unmatched scalability, security, and resiliency to accelerate an organization’s digital transformation journey as they move to hybrid cloud, container, and virtualized environments. Its flexible architecture allows you to get up and running quickly and grow as your needs demand.
Commvault HyperScale™ X
In less than 5 minutes Commvault HyperScale™ X helps you accelerate hybrid cloud adoption and scale- out as needed.
1 Flexera 2021 State of the Cloud Report, March 2021