Leipziger Messe strengthens disaster recovery mechanism and ensures seamless event operations with Commvault
German integrated event service provider cuts data management time by 80% and lowers support services costs by 85%
- Complex and lengthy process to create backups for disaster recovery with legacy IBM solution
- Lack of integration capability with a wide range of applications and systems, such as VMware, MongoDB, MariaDB and HCL Domino
- Need for a reliable backup solution to ensure data availability and support continuous operations for time-sensitive events and exhibitions
- Adopted Commvault Complete™ Data Protection as the single solution to manage disaster recovery backups for all applications and systems
- Commvault Partner WBS-IT Service GmbH (WBS) installed the Commvault software and provided support services after the implementation
- 80% less time in managing backups for disaster recovery
- 85% reduction in support services cost
- 50% faster backup performance
- Ensured data availability with a reliable backup solution
- Minimized employee interruption and supported continuous operations
Other-Event Service Provider
At a glance
- Leading German integrated event service provider
- Offers one-stop-shop services for various types and sizes of trade fairs, events, and exhibitions
Key assets protected
- 65TB deduplicated data on disk and 700TB on tape
- Oracle Database including Real Application Clusters (6 instances)
- 140 VMware virtual machines
- 8 Microsoft SQL databases
- 6 to 8 MariaDB and MongoDB databases
- Up to 1,000 databases for HCL Notes and HCL Domino
The backup environment
- Commvault Complete Data Protection
- Microsoft Azure
“We considered other solutions, including Veeam, but Commvault is the only solution that could reliably support a wide range of technologies.”– Sebastian Kober , Department Manager, IT Infrastructure and Event Services, Leipziger Messe
“Thanks to the intuitive user interface of Commvault, our support services have been reduced to just $23,000 per year. That’s a massive 85% savings for us.”
– Sebastian Kober , Department Manager, IT Infrastructure and Event Services, Leipziger Messe
“Data management is so much easier with Commvault. We now spend less than two hours per week, compared to 10 hours per week before.”– Sebastian Kober , Department Manager, IT Infrastructure and Event Services, Leipziger Messe
Supporting business growth with a reliable data protection solution
As one of Germany’s top 10 trade fair companies, Leipziger Messe offers one-stop services for planning and hosting various types and sizes of trade fairs, events, exhibitions, and congresses. With the experience gained over its 850-year history, the company has proven to be an innovative and professional integrated service provider in the event industry. Its vision is to open to the world and provide a platform for visitors, exhibitors, and partners around the world to engage in conversations, exchange opinions, and conclude business deals.
With the reopening of economies worldwide, one of the key goals for Leipziger Messe is to recover from the impact of the pandemic and grow the business by hosting healthcare and medical events. Sebastian Kober, Department Manager for IT Infrastructure and Event Services at Leipziger Messe, knows how critical it is to ensure seamless operations for time-sensitive events and exhibitions.
In the past, Leipziger Messe faced a lengthy process creating disaster recovery copies with the IBM TSM system, with backups often running until 10 a.m. up to four times per week. This significantly slowed the speed of production systems and disrupted work hours, particularly for staff members starting at 7 a.m. On top of this, the legacy system could not support some key technologies, such as VMware, MariaDB, and MongoDB. There was also no deduplication capability, leading to high demands for storage capacity.
“We considered other solutions, including Veeam, but Commvault is the only solution that could reliably support a wide range of technologies, such as MariaDB, HCL Domino, and MongoDB,” said Kober. “Some of our team members already had positive experience and knowledge with Commvault, so it was a logical decision.”
Slashing data management time by 80% and support services cost by 85%
Due to the previous long backup process, it was impossible to prevent backups from running during office hours. To ensure continuous operations for trade fairs and events, Leipziger Messe needed to improve backup speed – specifically for VMware – and simplify data management.
By automating the backups for disaster recovery copies with Commvault Complete Data Protection, Leipziger Messe now completes the entire process 50% faster, even with the same hardware and network connections. This minimizes the disruption to employees.
The integration capabilities of Commvault Complete Data Protection with NetApp File System also enable Leipziger to easily monitor disaster recovery backups for all applications and systems via a single interface rather than using different products.
“Data management is so much easier with Commvault. We now spend less than two hours per week, compared to 10 hours per week before,” said Kober.
Managing backups with the IBM solution also needed more time and specialized knowledge as everything had to use command lines or make a rigid selection of the data requiring backup.
“We spent over $150,000 in support services every year with the IBM solution due to its complexity and inflexibility,” said Kober. “Thanks to the intuitive user interface of Commvault, our support services have been reduced to just $23,000 per year. That’s a massive 85% savings for us.”
Ensuring business continuity with a disaster recovery mechanism
As data availability is critical to hosting trade fairs and events, Leipziger Messe has established a disaster recovery mechanism with the Commvault solution. First, this involves backing up data to a disk storage and NetApp NFS in a third data center and then copying it to tapes for offline access. Then Leipziger Messe creates disaster recovery copies every day, encrypts them and stores them offsite for up to 100 days. Finally, the IT team runs quarterly recovery tests to verify the recoverability of data and workload through a single Commvault platform.
With support from Commvault Partner WBS, Leipziger Messe adopted a step-by-step approach by running the legacy system and the Commvault solution in parallel and migrating the applications to the new platform. The transition was smooth and took only 20 days to complete. WBS continues to provide support to Leipziger Messe after the implementation.
“WBS is professional and reliable. They delivered the project on time and met our business requirements,” said Kober.