VMware Cloud on Amazon Web Services
- Enables you to seamlessly leverage Amazon Web Services (AWS) offerings – including Amazon Simple Storage Service (S3) and Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud (EC2) – for backup, as Disaster Recovery targets, and for migration of workloads to AWS
- Extends your Commvault on-premises infrastructure to protect your VMware Cloud on AWS workloads with minimal cost and infrastructure in cloud
- Allows you to protect your VMware Cloud on AWS instance, using agentless protection, automatic application awareness, and using Virtual Storage Area Network (vSAN) snapshots
- Accommodates multiple Virtual Machine (VM) formats and minimizes the need to learn new tools and skillsets
- Commvault’s deep experience with both VMware Cloud (VMC) and Amazon Web Services (AWS) helps ensure that your data, applications, and workloads are protected and recoverable
Amazon Web Services (AWS) is a secure cloud services platform that offers compute power, database storage, content delivery and other functionality to help businesses scale and grow. Millions of customers are currently leveraging AWS cloud solutions to build sophisticated applications with increased flexibility, resilience, and scalability. As a complement to AWS, VMware Cloud on AWS comprises three core VMware products:
- vSphere – an infrastructure virtualization platform
- vSAN – software-defined storage that aggregates local or direct-attached data storage devices, to create a single shared storage pool
- NSX – a software-based network virtualization and security platform, all running in AWS regions.
In the past, linking components of the VMware on-premises stack to AWS was difficult because the networks are “incongruent,” or incompatible with each other. To address that challenge, VMC for AWS was jointly engineered to allow the components to operate within an “gated” community in Amazon data centers. Instead of using nested virtualization, they chose to utilize bare-metal AWS servers running VMware’s ESX hypervisor natively. The result? VMware Cloud on AWS delivers an innovative, secure, and highly-scalable service that allows organizations to seamlessly migrate and extend their on-premises vSphere-based environments and management tools to the AWS Cloud, running on next-generation, easily resizable Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud (Amazon EC2) bare metal infrastructure, while retaining all the cost and flexibility advantages of the public cloud.
Data protection challenges in the public cloud
Protecting public and hybrid workloads using native tools can be complex. To protect VMware Cloud on AWS workloads and datasets, many organizations resort to creating scripts that allow them to orchestrate the different snapshot and replication methods available with the various VMware services, and couple them with AWS services. As your organization begins to take more advantage of the flexibility and elasticity of VMware Cloud on AWS, these scripts can be difficult to maintain, audit, and scale. And if your organization has regulatory or business process requirements to create secondary copies of backups in other cloud providers or back in your on-premises datacenter, this complexity can increase exponentially.
When it comes to protecting virtualized cloud environments, Commvault believes that the simplicity, security, and auditability you’ve come to expect from your on-premises data protection solution should work equally well in the AWS cloud. That’s why our solution offers extensive support for VMware Cloud on AWS. Using the Commvault Command Center™, a unified, intuitive, web-based console – capable of delivering a complete suite of vital data protection features – we help reduce the administrative burden on your IT team for any environment: on-premises, in the public or private cloud, and in hybrid environments.
Commvault’s management console can simplify administration and provide your administrators and end users with role-based, self-service access to VM recovery.
Agentless data protection for VMware Cloud on AWS using the Commvault Virtual Server Agent (VSA) proxy
- Full integration with APIs for VMware Cloud on AWS Software Defined Data Centers (SDDC)
- Enables efficient, agentless VM backups via native hypervisors (VADP, VSS, CBT, etc.)
- Provides flexible recovery options for both granular and full VM recovery, using vSAN snapshots and Live Browse
- DR replication with failover and failback to/from on-premises VMware, VMware Cloud on AWS, and native AWS EC2, in any combination
- Leverages Commvault software to provide to access to:
- 4D Indexing, to help supercharge your compliance search and case manager initiatives, along with helping to control specific processes and policies
- Commvault Complete™ Backup & Recovery includes Artificial Intelligence (AI) that analyzes patterns and performance, and can even modify or reprioritize processes to improve outcomes
- Commvault’s automated policy engine enables AI-driven auto-tuning, to help improve Recovery Point Objectives (RPOs) and Recovery Time Objectives (RTOs) for all workloads
Comprehensive data protection for VMware Cloud on AWS
Commvault enables a variety of use cases
Commvault’s single, unified platform takes a holistic approach to data management, utilizing a flexible and extensible architecture that helps you reduce risk, improve operational efficiencies, cut costs, and helps you derive more value from your data. It enables mainstream use cases such as disaster recovery, test and development, and archiving, as well as specific use cases, including:
- Backup of VMware Cloud on AWS to Amazon S3
- Snapshot of vSAN and backup of VMware Cloud on AWS to Amazon S3
- Restore from Amazon S3 to anywhere including on-premises
- Live Sync Disaster Recovery and to/from on-premises to VMware Cloud on AWS and/or AWS
- Simplified migration from VMware Cloud to AWS to AWS and other public cloud platforms.
Global management and proactive monitoring
- Protect, manage, monitor, and report on all your workloads across on-premises, multiple VMware Cloud on AWS accounts and regions from a single, consolidated view.
- Recover data from a single interface to any AWS region, to an on-premises datacenter, or to other cloud providers.
- Automatic power management of Commvault AWS Cloud components when not in use.
AWS storage integration
- Supports all tiers of AWS storage: Amazon S3 Standard, Amazon S3-IA, One-Zone-IA; Z-IA, and Amazon Glacier.
- Directly integrate with all tiers of AWS storage without the need for gateways.
- Reduce AWS S3 storage costs by leveraging Commvault compression and deduplication for backups.
- Supports Amazon Glacier Vault Lock for WORM and compliance storage.
Simplified deployment and administration
- Software-based solution offers flexible deployments options.
- Single management interface reduces learning curve and deployment complexity.
- Single licensing model can cover all AWS workloads in an enterprise.
Flexible and easy-to-use
As a software-based solution, Commvault provides extreme flexibility in deployment options. Commvault also offers an integrated solution – Commvault HyperScale™ Technology – that combines all aspects of the data management platform in a scale-out system. Commvault can also be deployed as a completely virtual or cloud-based protection platform, depending on the needs of your business. The Commvault Command Center™ – a centralized, web-based management interface – consolidates all configuration, management, and reporting tools into a simple-to-operate portal, greatly reducing your administrative burden.
You rely on VMware Cloud on AWS to provide a flexible environment for your workloads. Commvault lets you extend that flexibility to data protection with a fully-integrated backup and recovery solution that can help you meet your unique data protection needs, both now and in the future.
Commvault’s converged data management solution redefines what backup means for the progressive enterprise. With innovative products that include Commvault Complete™ Backup & Recovery; Commvault HyperScale™; Commvault Orchestrate™; and Commvault Activate™, Commvault offers an integrated range of backup and recovery, storage infrastructure, service delivery orchestration and data governance solutions.