Evalueserve ensures data availability and security with Commvault
Global analytics firm improves backup windows by 55% and avoids data loss or security breach
- Legacy disk-based backup solution was unreliable and slow to back up and restore data across two locations
- Tape-based backups required excessive staff time to manage and coordinate off-site storage
- Needed to ensure their data was secure and to prevent unforeseen cyber attacks
- Adopted Commvault Complete™️ Data Protection to encrypt data from different locations and recover them based on the RPO and RTO with customers
- 50% faster to back up and restore data
- 50% increase in storage capacity and eliminated the annual spend on 250 tapes cost by replacing disk-based backup solution with Commvault
- 55% shorter backup windows and 78% less time for SQL backups
- 57% less time to complete the restoration drill
- Confidence that their data was locked and untouchable in the event of a ransomware attack
- Cut administrators backup management time from 18 hours to 45 minutes per day
- Achieved RPO and RTO timeline for clients and complied with regulatory guidelines
- Leading analytics partner to Fortune500 companies
- Powered by mind+machine™️, Evalueserve combines insights emerging from data and research with the efficiency of digital tools and platforms to design impactful solutions
- A global team of 4,000-plus experts collaborates with clients across 15-plus industries
Key assets protected
- Microsoft Dynamics
- Microsoft SQL
- Microsoft SharePoint
- Microsoft Active Directory
- 55TB of front-end data
- Commvault Complete Data Protection
- IBM Storwize V5010E for storing primary copy at Gurgaon and secondary copy at Bangalore
- NetApp storage system for static files
- Nutanix hyperconverged infrastructure
Thanks to the encryption and security feature with Commvault, it gives us confidence that our backup copies are in a complete locked state and cannot be touched in the event of ransomware attacks.-–Sachin Jain, CIO & CISO at Evalueserve
With the powerful deduplication feature, we have reduced the overall storage size by 50% and eliminated 250 tape costs annually as a result of replacing disk-based backup.–Anuj Joshi, Vice President at Evalueserve
Our vision is to protect the company from any unforeseen cyber attacks and ensure 100% uptime. Commvault enabled us to achieve this.–-Deepak Batra, Country Head at Evalueserve India
Preventing ransomware attacks and ensuring 100% data security
Growing from a small India-based research company to a leading analytics and consulting firm, Evalueserve now has six operating centers globally. With 20 years of experience, Evalueserve offers a range of services—including data analytics, service design consulting, knowledge services, and digital platforms —to customers across 15-plus industries. Evalueserve generates and harness insights on a large scale, building efficiencies that save resources and help clients maintain their competitive advantage.
As the nature of Evalueserve’s business is dealing with sensitive data or intellectual property information, Sachin Jain, CIO & CISO at Evalueserve knows all too well that the company cannot afford any security breaches and data loss in the event of system failures.
“Data security is something that we view as a culture within the company. It is imperative that we can quickly restore data based on the agreed RTOs and RPOs with our clients,” said Jain.
Deepak Batra, Country Head of Evalueserve India also said: “Everything we do in our business is related to data. We must ensure that our customer information is 100% secure and prevent from any cyber attacks.”
By adopting Commvault Complete Data Protection, Evalueserve can securely encrypt backup copies with different decryption key and rapidly restore them even if someone has hijacked all the primary data.
“Thanks to the encryption and security features with Commvault, it gives us confidence that our backup copies are in a complete locked state and cannot be touched in the event of ransomware attacks,” said Jain. “Unauthorized access to data can also be eliminated by using the role-based access control with Commvault Command Center.”
Improved backup windows by 55% and cut tape costs
In the past, the tape-based backup approach took over 36 hours to complete backups for both primary and secondary copies across two locations. It also failed to recover data for some applications and databases. In addition, administrators had to physically transport the media cartridges to an offsite vault and manually insert those cartridges into the AMC Tape Library. This process caused data reliability and availability issues to support Evalueserve’s round-the-clock business. With up to 300% year on year data growth, the company wanted to ensure timely backups and restore data whenever it is needed.
“You cannot rely on a backup solution if you never know when it may fail. Such uncertainty is not future-proof for our business,” Anuj Joshi, Vice President at Evalueserve.
By automating the process with Commvault Complete Data Protection, Evalueserve cut backup windows to just 16 hours compared to 36 hours before. It also slashed the time for SQL backups to two hours instead of nine hours.
“With the powerful deduplication feature, we have reduced the overall storage size by 50% and eliminated 250 tape costs annually as a result of replacing disk-based backup,” said Joshi.
Simplifying data management while improving IT productivity
After adopting Commvault, Evalueserve can quickly complete the restoration drill 57% faster than before. The improved efficiency helped to accelerate the turnaround time for backup and restore by 50%.
“Now with Commvault, the drill was 100% successful and the results for first and second snapshot were also absolutely positive in all the scenarios. This gives us peace of mind that our data is secure and adheres to the strict regulatory guidelines,” said Joshi.
A single pane of glass to manage backups for different digital platforms made it easy for the IT team to identify backup issues and use their time in a productive manner.
“The automation helped us cut the time for two administrators to manage backups from 18 hours to just 45 minutes now. Our IT team can focus on risk assessment and meet service level agreements,” said Joshi.
Futureproof for cloud data protection
Evalueserve is currently using Commvault Complete Data Protection to protect its on-premises data in India, including databases, applications, and file servers, and looking to expand the solution to all the locations. As the business moves more workloads to the cloud, Sachin and his team plan to expand the Commvault backup solution to support their hybrid-cloud environment.
“We are using Microsoft Office 365 and running a number of virtual machine databases and analytics workloads on Microsoft Azure. Commvault provides the flexibility for us to expand our cloud backups if we decided to do so in the future,” said Jain. “Our vision is to protect the company from any unforeseen cyber attacks and ensure 100% uptime. Commvault enabled us to achieve this,” said Batra.