Atresmedia improves business continuity with Commvault
Spanish audiovisual company slashes RTO and RPO by 40% and meets 100% SLA for compliance and availability
- Inflexible licensing model and lack of capability to protect data in the cloud environment with the legacy product
- Need for a modern and agile solution that could integrate with the complex IT infrastructure
- Fast data recovery necessary to meet compliance requirements and protect brand reputation
- Adopted Commvault Complete™ Data Protection to protect data for the entire on-premises environment and part of the Office 365 mailboxes
- 40% reduction in RTO and RPO
- Met 100% SLA for compliance and availability
- Ensured business continuity and protected brand reputation by seamlessly integrating Commvault with the existing IT environment
- Supported future cloud migration with a scalable and reliable solution
- Enabled administrators to quickly learn and adopt the new Commvault platform without any issue
At a Glance Panel: Atresmedia
- Leading Spanish communications group
- Operates five divisions including television, radio, advertisement, channels and merchandise, and film production
Key Assets Protected:
- 298TB of data
- 100 Office 365 mailboxes
- Oracle and MySQL databases
- Microsoft SQL servers
- VMWare and Citrix
- SAP and Meta4 applications
- BRS document management system
- Ubuntu, Red Hat, and Windows operating systems
- Hitachi NAS and Dell/EMC SAN storage for file system
The Backup Environment:
- Commvault Complete Data Protection
- HPE StoreOnce
- Oracle StorageTek SL8500 Modular Library System
“We evaluated various vendors including Veeam, EMC Networker, and Micro Focus Data Protector. But only Commvault met all the requirements in terms of functionalities, performance, and integration with our infrastructure.”– Manuel Serrano Rubio, Deputy Director of Operations, Systems, and Information Security
“With Commvault Complete Data Protection we have reduced our RTO and RPO by 40%, and it enabled us to recover critical data in less than the two hours threshold.”– Manuel Serrano Rubio, Deputy Director of Operations, Systems, and Information Security
“We had a very positive experience with Commvault since the beginning of the project. Their total involvement and commitment to ensure our success went far beyond the solution itself.”– Manuel Serrano Rubio, Deputy Director of Operations, Systems, and Information Security
Supporting the migration to cloud
Atresmedia is a leading communications group in Spain. It is also the only Spanish audiovisual company with a diverse operation in all key industry sectors, including television, radio, advertising, cinema, and film production. Its vision is to deliver value to shareholders and contribute positively to society through information and entertainment.
Atresmedia used Veritas as the backup solution for its on-premises environment over a decade. When the company migrated part of its workloads to various cloud providers, including Microsoft, Amazon AWS, and Google, the legacy solution did not have the tools to support the cloud environment. Atresmedia also wanted to ensure users like journalists or collaborators can access data anytime, anywhere, and carry out their work even during the pandemic situation. With increased threats for ransomware attacks, Manuel Serrano Rubio, Deputy Director of Operations, Systems, and Information Security, wanted to find an efficient, agile, and reliable solution that could support both on-premises and cloud environments and ensure the data is secure and available.
“We evaluated various vendors including Veeam, Dell/EMC Networker, and Micro Focus Data Protector. But only Commvault met all the requirements in terms of functionalities, performance, and integration with our infrastructure,” said Serrano. “Commvault showed great interest in the project right from the beginning and demonstrated how effective the tool was when we carried out the certification of the product.”
Another reason for choosing Commvault was that it offered a more flexible and cost-effective licensing model than Veritas. This helped to support the migration of more workloads, such as website and media content, to the cloud in the coming year.
RTO and RPO slashed by 40%
With the diversity of Atresmedia’s businesses, data confidentiality, and privacy are critical for both compliance and brand protection, so minimum recovery time and high availability were key considerations when Serrano looked for a new solution.
“With Commvault Complete Data Protection we have reduced our RTO and RPO by 40%, and it enabled us to recover critical data in less than the two hours threshold,” said Serrano.
Atresmedia also operates a complex IT ecosystem with different types of databases, applications, operating systems, and storage systems across various geographies. Since adopting Commvault Complete Data Protection, Atresmedia have not had a single complication or delay in the recovery periods.
“Now we can quickly recover a diverse range of workloads and retain the backup copies within the established policies. Everything has been perfect with Commvault,” said Serrano.
“The most surprising benefit was our administrators can quickly learn and adopt the new technology that Commvault offers. The reporting feature also allows us to verify if the data has been properly recovered.”
SLA for high availability and compliance met
With support from Commvault, Atresmedia successfully migrated to the new Commvault platform within its milestones and without any interruption. The company currently uses Commvault to protect all of its on-premises environment and 100 Office 365 mailboxes running on HPE StoreOnce.
“Commvault just checks all the boxes for availability, continuity, and compliance,” said Serrano.
Atresmedia plans to back up part of its data in the cloud and Kubernetes to Commvault in the next phase of the project.
“We had a very positive experience with Commvault since the beginning of the project. Their total involvement and commitment to ensure our success went far beyond the solution itself,” said Serrano.