Camel Group ensures continuous manufacturing operations with Commvault
Commvault helps Chinese battery manufacturer to minimize revenue loss and deliver timely information to customers
- Manual backups delaying sales and slowed delivery of information to customers
- Risk of system downtime disrupting manufacturing operations
- Complex process of managing data backups across different platforms, such as Alibaba Cloud and e-commerce platform
- Deployed Commvault Complete™️ Backup & Recovery as the single solution to back up all the systems in both the private cloud and the public cloud
- Batesoft, a Commvault Partner, provided implementation services
- Improved production efficiency by ensuring the availability and security of data
- Minimized revenue loss by using Commvault to automatically back up all applications and e-commerce platforms in the Alibaba Cloud with zero downtime
- Enhanced customer satisfaction by increasing the speed to back up and restore data and delivering timely information to customers
- Met service level agreement by improving RPO by up to 50% and RTO by 8 times
- Reduced work hours for IT team and enabled them to focus on digitalization project
- Gave confidence to the busines that the manufacturing operations will not be interrupted
Xiangyang, Hubei, China
At a glance: Camel Group
- Largest car battery manufacturer in Asia with more than 35 million production capacity
- 6,300 employees across 30 subsidiaries worldwide
- RMB 100 Billion revenue (U.S. $14.3 Billion) in 2019
Key assets protected
- 100TB of data from a broad range of applications including enterprise resource planning (ERP), customer relationship management (CRM), office automation (OA), HR, warehouse management and QR code system, in the private cloud
- E-commerce platform running on Alibaba Cloud
- VMware virtual machine and Citrix XenServer
- Oracle databases for production, sales and marketing, e-commerce and management
The Backup Environment
- Commvault Complete Backup and Recovery
- Hitachi Vantara storage
We considered EMC but decided to choose Commvault because of its number one position in Gartner and proven solution in the market. It also integrates well with our existing infrastructure using Oracle and VMware.-–Weikang Yu, Head of Information Center, Camel Group
Commvault is simple and easy to use. We were also impressed with the speed to backup and restore our data, giving us confidence that we can support the entire manufacturing operations with minimal interruption.-–Weikang Yu, Head of Information Center, Camel Group
Minimizing risk of data loss and ensuring business continuity
Camel Group Co Ltd is among the world’s top five lead-acid batteries manufacturers, as well as the largest car battery manufacturer in Asia. It offers more than 400 types of battery products to almost 50,000 customers and over 90% of household automotive brands globally. With 40 years of history, Camel Group’s vision is to become a world leader in energy solutions and contribute to better human life by promoting green power and developing a circular economy.
Camel Group used to manually back up its data from various platforms, including critical applications in the private cloud and the e-commerce platform in the public cloud. This process was slow and negatively impacted both data availability and the delivery of information to sales and customers. With an average 18% yearly data growth over the past 10 years, Weikang Yu, Head of Information Center at Camel Group sought to ensure fast recovery of data and minimize revenue loss.
“Any downtime could cost over RMB 30 million (approximately US$4.3 million) per day, so this is not an option for our manufacturing business,” said Weikang Yu, head of the information center at Camel Group.
Increasing production efficiency and enhancing customer satisfaction
With the recommendation from Commvault Partner Batesoft, Camel Group implemented Commvault Complete Backup and Recovery as the single solution for its hybrid-cloud environments.
“We considered EMC but decided to choose Commvault because of its number one position in Gartner and proven solution in the market. It also integrates well with our existing infrastructure using Oracle and VMware,” said Yu.
Camel Group can now automatically back up all the systems without downtime and improved the availability and security of critical data. “We used Commvault to quickly perform local backup, offline backup, offsite backup and cloud backup across multiple platforms. This helped to ensure timely delivery of information, increase production efficiency, and enhance customer satisfaction,” said Yu.
The increased efficiency also enabled the IT team to meet their service level agreement for reducing RPO from two hours to just one hour and RTO from four hours to 30 minutes.
Supporting digital transformation with a secure data protection platform
Commvault Complete Backup and Recovery also provides a single console for the IT team to easily monitor all the backups from both the private cloud and the public cloud. This has reduced the work hours for IT team and enabled them to focus on supporting other digitalization projects.
“Commvault is simple and easy to use. We were impressed with the speed to backup and restore our data, giving us confidence that we can support the entire manufacturing operations with minimal interruption,” said Yu.
Yu and his team are planning to digitalize all of their business functions as part of their IT strategy. “The transition to Commvault was seamless and fulfilled all our business requirements. We look forward to continue partnering with Commvault in our transformation journey,” said Yu.