Clifford Chance turns to Commvault for global backup platform
- Main office in London had a different backup system from its other locations worldwide
- Needed to be able to offer same service levels from all data centers
- Implement a standardized global, centrally managed data center protection system
- Migrate from existing platform to Commvault with minimal disruption
- Commvault backup and protection software managing critical global systems
- Global, centrally managed data protection system aligned with firm’s two key business objectives for standardization of IT and global procurement model
- Ease of management
- Ability to expand functionality beyond backup and to leverage cloud capabilities in the future as a cloud model is developed
- Service levels are significantly enhanced compared to the previous system
Primarily, we were looking to implement a single solution. Commvault was attractive because it was able to support our plan to centralise data centres and consolidate multiple systems to minimise support complexity for internal resources.— Jean-Luc Levy , Director of Global IT Procurement | Clifford Chance
Headquartered in London and a leading global law firm, Clifford Chance is one of the largest law firms in the world, serving 27 countries from 37 offices around the world. As a huge legal firm, the lifeblood of Clifford Chance’s IT system is SharePoint, its document management standard.
Commvault technology manages the protection of this critical system globally from a centrally-controlled management console. Commvault also protects the firm’s other critical systems, including its Oracle based billing system and VMware private cloud.
As a global law firm, it is of prime importance that Clifford Chance offers the same service level worldwide from its primary and DR data centers in the US, Hong Kong, Germany and London.
Law firm keen to standardize systems across worldwide locations
The firm took the strategic decision to adopt a global, centrally managed data protection system for all of its data centers. The key site in London was using Symantec while the other facilities were covered by Commvault, so Clifford Chance had to decide whether to consolidate its other data centers onto the Symantec system or bring the London data center onto the Commvault platform.
After a rigorous tendering procedure and a stringent evaluation process, the firm selected Commvault as its single worldwide solution and the decision was taken to migrate the London data center from Symantec to Commvault.
At the same time, it also decided to upgrade its existing Commvault installations in the other data centers.Among the reasons for selecting Commvault were:
- Single platform for centralized global management
- Same vision around integrated, scalable technology fitting with the company values
- Single license covering all possible agents
- Ability to import back up policies from the incumbent system to enable a smooth transition
- Capability to provide additional functionality beyond backup when required in the future
Ian Llewellyn, operations manager, Infrastructure at Clifford Chance says the firm also believed that Commvault had a vision that would offer it “a lot more down the line rather than just a simple straightforward backup solution.”
Migration of data smooth and secure
Clifford Chance was keen to ensure that the transition from Symantec NetBackup (NBU) to Commvault was safe and orderly with zero disruption and delivered in a short timeframe so that it did not have to pay for two different products in parallel. With this in mind, it opted for a like-for-like install.
To ensure a smooth and risk-free transition, Commvault’s External Data Connector was used to extract the configuration information from the NBU master server. This enabled Commvault to import the existing protection setup and provided tools for staged migration and consolidated reporting during the swap.
Commvault services ensure continuing success
Commvault professional services were used for the upgrade and global integration projects that were delivered successfully with no escalations. Training was also provided to the Clifford Chance team to ensure it would be able to take full advantage of the Commvault solution.