Greencap unifies backup and recovery across its hybrid cloud environment with Commvault
Australian risk management company recovers Office 365 data in just minutes and cuts storage space by 40%
- Streamline tedious process for archiving project files and shrink bulky storage requirement
- Create a single backup solution for cloud instances and on-premises systems
- Minimize the risk of losing critical business data for consultancy and digital services in the event of disaster
- Commvault Complete™ Backup & Recovery as a unified data protection platform for Microsoft Azure workloads, Office 365, SharePoint, OneDrive and various on-premises systems
- Use Amazon RDS and EC2 with Commvault to back up digital business data in the cloud
- 40% reduction in storage requirement using deduplication feature to compress data
- Office 365 data recovery in minutes
- Consolidated control and monitoring of all backup performance on one simple dashboard
- Ensured data security and easy data recovery across different data center locations
Kew East, Victoria, Australia
At a glance
- Operating in Australia since 1984
- Part of Wesfarmers Industrial & Safety division since 2013
- More than 300 professional, technical and engineering staff
Key assets protected
- 50% Microsoft® Azure workloads and 50% on-premises systems for consultancy business data
- Microsoft Office 365
- Microsoft SharePoint
- Microsoft OneDrive™
- Microsoft Hyper-V™
- Digital business data in Amazon® Relational Database Service™ (RDS) and Amazon EC2™
Supporting cloud transformation
Greencap helps companies manage risk and compliance by providing integrated expert services, online solutions and training across property risk, health and safety, environment risk and emergency management.
As part of Wesfarmers Industrial & Safety—a division of one of Australia’s best-known and largest listed companies, Wesfarmers Group—Greencap provides both on-site consulting and online risk-management solutions. But this work generates a huge amount of data, which must be reliably archived and easily accessed.
That’s why Greencap began its digital transformation by moving to Amazon RDS and Amazon EC2. Greencap also migrated 50% of its consulting business to Microsoft Azure, with the other 50% remaining on-premises. The company then deployed Commvault Complete Backup & Recovery to back up a combination of on-premises and cloud data on Azure and AWS, Microsoft Office 365, SharePoint, OneDrive and Hyper-V.
“We evaluated other backup solutions like Veeam, but only Commvault had all the bells and whistles to enable fast and secure backup and recovery across Microsoft Azure, AWS and on-premises environments in a single console,” said Jayath De Silva, Greencap senior system administrator.
We evaluated other backup solutions like Veeam, but only Commvault had all the bells and whistles to enable fast and secure backup and recovery across Microsoft Azure, AWS, and on-premises environments in a single console.— Jayath De Silva, Senior System Administrator, Greencap Pty., Ltd
Before Commvault, recovering an Office 365 email would be a multiple-hour job. Now it takes only five to ten minutes.— Jayath De Silva, Senior System Administrator, Greencap Pty., Ltd
Easier and faster backup and recovery with less storage space
Previously, Greencap used multiple backup solutions in parallel and replicated the data to other disaster recovery sites. This meant it could take days of sifting through years of project information to archive the correct data.
“Our legacy infrastructure was constantly running out of space, so we had to stay on top of archiving to make sure we could access and archive our project files frequently,” De Silva said. “Thanks to Commvault’s superior deduplication capability, we can now compress data from 10% to 30% of its actual size and cut storage space by 40%. That eliminates a lot of manual archiving tasks.”
A centralized Commvault backup solution also empowered the IT team to easily monitor and control backup performance in the cloud or on-premises via a single, intuitive dashboard.
“Before Commvault, recovering an Office 365 email would be a multiple-hour job. Now it takes only five to ten minutes,” De Silva said.
He also noted that Commvault security features position Greencap for growth.
“Commvault also makes us feel confident that we have the security in place to ensure our business is data ready.”
Despite the learning curve inherent in implementing a new backup system, De Silva said Commvault Customer Support made the transition remarkably easy.
“Commvault Customer Support is just phenomenal. Whenever I got stuck I’d call them up, and they were more than happy to help me out and resolve the issues in a reasonable amount of time,” he said.