NTT DATA supports flexible and scalable data growth with Commvault
Global IT services provider ensures scalability for its internal systems in the private cloud with Commvault Hyperscale™ Appliances
- Ensure scalability to respond to unexpected spikes in data volume due to external factors, such as changing legislative requirements
- Reduce the lengthy time required to identify root cause and troubleshoot backup issues for complex and large-scale environments with servers, operating system, applications and logs across multiple data centers
- Construct a new, single backup environment that provides different levels of security
- Implemented six Commvault HyperScale™ Appliances as a unified data protection platform for multiple data centers
- Commvault Partner, NTT DATA INTELLILINK assisted NTT DATA for proof of concept
- Gained superior scalability to support anticipated data growth in the private cloud without changing operation each time
- Empowered the company to effectively control cost when data volume scales up by leveraging the simplified subscription licensing structure with Commvault HyperScale Appliance
- Enabled the IT department to reduce significant workload for data management and speed up troubleshooting in the event of backup failures
- Cut training time and minimized human error with an intuitive dashboard and management console
- Expects to enhance data security in the private cloud with different levels of security for internal and external users
The simplified pricing structure of Commvault HyperScale Appliance allowed us to effectively control costs in the private cloud, giving us peace of mind that we could manage data growth any time.– Yoshiaki Mizuuchi, Director for System Development, IT Management Office, Technology Innovation Division, NTT DATA
Commvault HyperScale Appliance was the best choice in terms of scalability and cost. We are confident that we can meet unexpected data growth without changing our operation each time.– Yusuke Kawato, Deputy Manager for System Development, IT Management Office, Technology Innovation Division, NTT DATA
Supporting unexpected data growth
NTT DATA is the world’s leading IT services provider and innovation partner. Emphasizing long-term commitment to customers, it combines global reach with local intimacy to provide premier professional services ranging from consulting and systems development to outsourcing.
The NTT DATA IT Management Office (ITM) develops, administrates, and maintains internal IT systems and supports the business activities of the entire NTT DATA group. To ensure high quality services, ITM collaborates with NTT DATA INTELLILINK to design and adopt a “showcase model” of providing new services to internal users before selling to external customers. This unique model is introduced after the upgrade of backup environment for the private cloud platform built on more than 130 systems such as accounting, IT infrastructure, and mission-critical operations.
With a total of several dozen TB data already backed up in the private cloud, the company needed a more scalable and cost-effective solution to respond quickly to unexpected spikes in data volume created by external factors, such as the new requirements for the data retention period.
“Recent amendment to the retention period required us to keep relevant data for three years instead of two. This is on top of anticipated data growth as we roll out more services,” said Yusuke Kawato, Deputy Manager for System Development, IT Management Office, Technology Innovation Division, NTT DATA. “Commvault HyperScale Appliance was the best choice in terms of scalability and cost. We are confident that we can meet unexpected data growth without changing our operation each time.”
Gaining effective cost control with simplified licensing model
With the assistance from Commvault Partner, NTT DATA INTELLILINK, NTT DATA upgraded its backup system across two data centers with six Commvault HyperScale Appliance 1300s, to provide greater scalability and a flexible subscription licensing model.
The company now has seamless scalability to back up data from any production systems without adding a new environment every time. Commvault HyperScale Appliance also only bills on the data volume after deduplication instead of the number of virtual machines or data size before deduplication. This helped to reduce costs and minimize storage usage.
“One of the key responsibilities of IT Management Office is cost control and planning to mitigate unexpected risks,” said Yoshiaki Mizuuchi, Director for System Development, IT Management Office, Technology Innovation Division, NTT DATA. “The simplified pricing structure of Commvault HyperScale Appliance allowed us to effectively control costs in the private cloud, giving us peace of mind that we could manage data growth any time.”
The varying security levels Commvault Hyperscale Appliance also provides for internal and external users with a new centralized backup environment. This allows NTT DATA to further improve data security for its private cloud. Security is further heightened with reliable data encryption for remote backup and multi-account access management.
Minimizing significant workload for backup operations
For the last five years, NTT DATA had been using Commvault software for the backup services of servers and storage systems from two data centers. However, such back up environment with a build-it-yourself approach was challenging. Having to acquire, install, manage and support the operating system, compute, storage and backup software was time-consuming and difficult to identify and troubleshoot issues in remote locations.
“By introducing Commvault HyperScale Appliance and the network reconfiguration, we not only gained a centralized data protection platform but also eliminated the hard work of examining each server, operating system and applications in case of backup failures,” Kawado said.
Because the Commvault HyperScale Appliance allows most IT operations to continue unchanged, and because of its intuitive dashboard, NTT DATA cut training time and minimized human error sometimes caused by the frequent staff rotation common to large organizations.
At a glance: NTT DATA
- Leading IT service provider and global innovation partner with annual revenue of USD $18.5 billion
- Operations span across 50-plus countries with more than 118,000 employees
Key Assets protected
- 80TB of data from 130-plus internal systems including accounting, IT infrastructure, and mission-critical systems
- 1300-plus virtual machines back up to two Commvault Hyperscale Appliances in the primary data center
- Another file system data backs up to two Commvault Hyperscale Appliances in a remote data center
- A third production system backs up to two Commvault Hyperscale Appliances in the primary data center
- Six Commvault Hyperscale Appliance 1300s