Jeju Shinhwa World saves time and cost in data protection with Commvault
South Korean premium resort adopts a scalable and cost-effective hyperconverged infrastructure to support its cloud strategy and future growth
- Traditional disk-based backups and vaulting tape were slow and prone to human error
- Needed a flexible and economical data protection solution to link with the data center’s hyperconverged infrastructure environment and public cloud
- Built a hyperconverged infrastructure in the software-defined data center with Nutanix Acropolis and Commvault Complete™️ Backup & Recovery
- Used Microsoft Azure with Commvault Complete Backup and Recovery to support long-term storage in the cloud
- Commvault Partner, Softtop 10, assisted Jeju Shinhwa World to build the data protection system and provide maintenance services after the implementation
- Gained the most cost-effective and scalable solution to protect and store data in the public cloud thanks to the high compatibility between Commvault, Nutanix and Microsoft Azure
- Saved at least one hour per day for administrators to manage backups
- Expected to lower hardware maintenance costs by US$17,000 per year
- Ensured business continuity with immediate data restoration in the event of data center failures or natural disaster
- Supported 8x data growth by using capacity-based licensing model with Commvault instead of agent-based licensing for backup targets with other products
- South Korea’s premium hotels and resorts on Jeju Island spanning across 2.5 million square meters of land areas
- Offers a range of facilities and services, including theme park, water park, banquet hall, foreign casino and more than 40 food and beverages stores
The backup environment
- Commvault Complete Backup and Recovery
- Microsoft Azure
- Nutanix Acropolis
Key assets protected
- 500 Microsoft Windows servers
- 1,500 Citrix virtual desktop infrastructure (VDI) clients
- Oracle Database
- SAP applications
“We evaluated Veritas NetBackup and EMC Networker and Avamar but Commvault Complete Backup and Recovery was the cost-effective and scalable solution to support our hyperconverged infrastructure and cloud environment.”-–Chang Soo Kim, Senior Director, IT, Jeju Shinhwa World
“Now using Commvault with Nutanix and Microsoft Azure, we saved significant time on daily backups and we expect to cut maintenance cost for disks and tape libraries by approximately U.S. $17,000 each year.”–Chang Soo Kim, Senior Director, IT, Jeju Shinhwa World
“Unlike other solutions that required installing agents for multiple backup targets and licensing on an agent basis, Commvault Complete Backup & Recovery offers the capacity-based licensing model, which is more flexible and less costly to expand.”–-Chang Soo Kim, Senior Director, IT, Jeju Shinhwa World
Supporting software-defined storage environment
Located in the south-western part of Jeju Island, Jeju Shinhwa World is one of South Korea’s most prestigious world-class integrated resorts with more than 2,000 rooms across four and five-stars hotels and condominiums. It offers various facilities and services to travelers both at home and abroad, including Jeju’s largest theme park and water park and foreign casino. Since the opening of hotels and resorts in the second half of 2017, Jeju Shinhwa World built a software-defined data center using Nutanix hyperconverged infrastructure with Commvault Complete Backup and Recovery and Microsoft Azure. Through this architecture, Jeju Shinhwa World can easily manage virtualization, data protection, and storage in the public cloud.
“We evaluated Veritas NetBackup and EMC Networker and Avamar, but Commvault Complete Backup and Recovery was the most cost-effective and scalable solution to support our hyperconverged infrastructure and cloud environment,” said Chang Soo Kim, Senior Director, IT of Jeju Shinhwa World. “The high compatibility between Nutanix, Commvault, and Microsoft Azure enables us to further optimize our software-defined data center.”
Reducing time and cost for backup and recovery
Jeju Shinhwa World was using traditional disk-based backups and tape vaulting but the process was time-consuming and error-prone. With data growing at more than 8x over the past three years, the resort company wanted to reduce the manual work for backup and recovery across a wide range of systems, including Microsoft Windows servers, Citrix VDI clients, Oracle Database, and SAP applications.
By linking Nutanix Acropolis with Commvault Complete Backup and Recovery and Microsoft Azure, Jeju Shinhwa World automated the incremental backups on weekdays, full backups on the weekends, and the long-term storage of full backups data in Microsoft Azure.
“With the previous manual process, administrators had to work at least one hour each day to manage the backups,” said Kim. “Now using Commvault with Nutanix and Microsoft Azure, we saved significant time on daily backups and we expect to cut maintenance cost for disks and tape libraries by approximately U.S. $17,000 each year.”
Thanks to Commvault, Jeju Shinhwa World can also perform immediate disaster recovery if there is data center failure in backing up data from on-premise applications and the public cloud. In the event of a natural disaster, the company can quickly restore data from the previous day to ensure business continuity.
Flexible licensing model to support future growth
With most of the backup targets running on Nutanix Acropolis virtual machine, Jeju Shinhwa World concluded that it was advantageous to build the software-defined storage environment without using backup agents on virtual machines.
“Unlike other solutions that required installing agents for multiple backup targets and licensing on an agent basis, Commvault Complete Backup & Recovery offers capacity-based licensing model, which is more flexible and less costly to expand,” said Kim.
Typically, SAP users will protect their data with SAP solutions. But after doing the research, Jeju Shinhwa World decided to take a different course, and protect their SAP data with Commvault instead. The scalability and cost-effectiveness of Commvault made it an easy choice. This was the first time that Jeju Shinhwa World had operated SAP in a hyperconverged infrastructure environment and protected their SAP data with a third-party solution.
And the approach has paid off. Kim adds: “Commvault is optimized for Nutanix hyperconverged infrastructure and Microsoft Azure. This is an economical and efficient data protection approach for on-premises and the public cloud.”