AU Small Finance Bank ensures security of consumer data with Commvault HyperScale™ Appliance
Indian Bank achieves 50% faster backup while meeting 100% compliance
- Migration to the banking platform created a sudden, significant increase in data volume – demanding increased speed of data backup and restoration
- Strict Indian banking regulations required safe data availability for at least 10 years
- Adopted one Commvault HyperScale Appliance at the Mumbai data center, and another two Commvault HyperScale Appliances at the Bangalore disaster recovery site
- Commvault Professional Services assisted in configuration of Commvault HyperScale Appliances to meet all compliance guidelines
- Achieved 50% faster backup of data across multiple locations
- Ensured that critical customer data is safe and available at any time
- Met all regulatory compliance requirements to restore data at a specific point in time without interruption
- Gained scalability to confidently expand storage capacity, even with exponential data growth
- Reduced time to administer and manage backup operations
Jaipur, Rajasthan, India
At a glance: AU Small Finance Bank
- Offers banking services to about 1.8 million customers across 12 states and 12 union territories in India
- 16,000-plus employees
Key assets protected
- 900 servers in total with 250 servers backed up daily
- 40 TB of data for all the backups
- Databases and applications
- Virtual machines
The Backup Environment
- 3 Commvault HyperScale™ Appliances
- SAN storage
- Corporate and disaster recovery site
Commvault HyperScale Appliance gives us absolute confidence that our data is protected and available at any time. This helped us comply with regulations and minimized disruption while providing continuous service for our customers.-– Vikas Narula, Vice President, Information Technology, AU Small Finance Bank
One of the compliance standards for the bank is the ability to restore data at a specific point in time. Commvault HyperScale Appliances helped us achieve this every month without fail.-– Vikas Narula, Vice President, Information Technology, AU Small Finance Bank
Our operations team has always required data in minimal time. With the Commvault HyperScale Appliances and its fully integrated storage, we can now back up data in just four hours instead of eight hours. This really benefits how our operations and backup teams work together–Vikas Narula, Vice President, Information Technology, AU Small Finance Bank
Securing customer data is top priority
Transforming from a Non-Banking Financial Company (NBFC) to a bank, AU Small Finance Bank’s (AU) core business is to provide vehicle loans to customers, especially in rural and semi-urban areas. Since its move to banking, over the last two years data volume has grown at 50% annually. It is further expected to grow at an even higher rate over the next three years. Data protection is more important now than ever for AU, due to the strict regulations of Reserve Bank of India (RBI).
“Data is the lifeline for the bank because it contains all confidential information of our customers. We must ensure their data is absolutely secure. And as per compliance guidelines, we must keep it for a long period of time,” said Vikas Narula, Vice President Information Technology at AU Small Finance Bank.
“Commvault HyperScale Appliances give us absolute confidence that our data is protected and available at any time. This helps us comply with regulations and minimized disruption while providing continuous service for our customers,” said Narula.
Slashing time to backup and restore data, while supporting compliance
Before the banking days, AU used the Commvault software with SAN storage for data protection. As the data volume grew at an accelerated pace, the number of existing servers required for backup went from two, to three, to 250 servers daily. This was immensely time-consuming to manage such large backup volume, as the IT team had to shut the servers down before each patching.
“Our operations team always required data in minimal time. With the Commvault HyperScale Appliances and its fully integrated storage, we can now back up data in just four hours instead of the previous eight hours. This really benefits how our operations and backup teams work together,” said Narula.
In addition, AU was required to submit audit reports to RBI and the compliance teams in a timely manner.
“One of the compliance standards is for the bank to be able to quickly restore data at a specific point in time. Commvault HyperScale Appliances enabled us to achieve this every month without fail,” said Narula.
To prepare for future growth, Narula and his team always planned for the backup requirements in advance and freed up at least 25% of total storage. “Thanks to the scalability and flexibility of our licensing model with Commvault HyperScale Appliances, we can easily scale the capacity as data grows and support business needs,” said Narula.
Reducing administration time with a single backup appliance
The intuitive dashboard and reporting tool from Commvault also make it easy to monitor daily, weekly, or monthly backups and reduce the administration time for the IT team.
“Using a single console to manage all our backups with Commvault saves us time and money,” said Naurla.
With the support from Commvault Professional Services, AU has seamlessly deployed Commvault HyperScale Appliances across multiple locations, including the data center in Mumbai and the disaster recovery site in Bangalore.
“Commvault Support and our Commvault account manager are always responsive and available, enabling us to resolve issues in the bare minimum of time,” said Narula.