BGC ensures disaster recovery readiness and supports future growth with Commvault
Australian home builder slashes TCO by A$150,000 and recovers data and applications from any platform without failure
- Unreliable and time-consuming data backup and recovery with multiple legacy solutions
- Lack of a disaster recovery solution that could support different platforms, including on-premises data centers, remote sites, and SaaS environment
- Constant testing and verification required for recovery, placing strain on the IT team
- Deployed Commvault Complete™ Data Protection with Microsoft Azure to protect data across on-premises and cloud environments
- Commvault Partner Lumen IT provided advice and support to BGC throughout the implementation
- Saved A$150,000 in TCO by consolidating three legacy solutions into a single Commvault platform
- Improved RTO and RPO by 62% and reduced the time to recover a lost file or mailbox data from hours to minutes
- 10x reduction in time spent on data management
- Simplified and accelerated the process for workload migration and disaster recovery
- Improved data availability and accessibility in the event of natural disasters or cyberattacks
- Enabled the IT team to focus on valuable projects instead of verifying backups and recovery
At a glance
- One of Australia’s largest privately owned company in terms of annual turnover
- Operates diversified businesses in building materials, residential and commercial construction and heavy haulage services
Key assets protected
- 2PB of data and 249TB after deduplication
- Microsoft 365 with 1,500 mailboxes on-premises and 1,500 mailboxes in the cloud
- Salesforce applications
- Oracle Cloud applications
- 500 VMware virtual machines
- MySQL database
- Microsoft Exchange
- Microsoft SharePoint and Teams
The backup environment
- Commvault Complete Data Protection
- Microsoft Azure
“Compared to other products like Dell EMC and Veeam, Commvault offers the most complete solution. This saved us A$150,000 in TCO.”-Adrian Lerch, System Engineer at BGC
“Data is the lifeblood of the business. You can’t underestimate the benefit of a reliable, timely data backup and recovery.”
– Adrian Lerch, System Engineer at BGC
“Commvault become a one-stop shop for all backups and recovery. Now data management isn’t a drain on resources and budgets.”– Adrian Lerch, System Engineer at BGC
Recovering data in minutes and saving A$150,000 in TCO
BGC is one of the largest home builders in Western Australia, and one of the largest annual turnovers of any privately owned company in Australia. Starting as a property developer in 1960s, BGC has expanded its operations into multi-faceted vertically integrated businesses. Its products and services include manufacturing building materials to building everything from houses to stadiums and providing heavy haulage services. This range of operations requires BGC to ensure its data is always available so it can meet market demands and support continuous growth.
Previously, BGC used multiple backup solutions including Dell EMC Avamar, Dell EMC Data Domain, and IBM TSM. With data spread across on-premises data center, remote sites, and the cloud, it could take hours or even days for the IT team to recover a file, especially if it was a large backup.
“We had trouble targeting everything (Oracle Cloud, Salesforce, Azure) with the legacy solutions. Now with Commvault, we have agents for every single platform. Commvault just ticks all the boxes,” said Adrian Lerch, System Engineer at BGC.
By replacing several legacy products with one Commvault data protection solution, BGC has eliminated the need to buy additional software or upgrade the entire system. The switch to Commvault also enabled the company improve RTO and RPO by 62% and recover data in just minutes, including Microsoft 365 and Salesforce requests.
“Compared to other products like Dell EMC and Veeam, Commvault offers the most complete solution. This saved us A$150,000 in TCO,” said Lerch.
“Commvault become a one-stop shop for all backups and recovery. Now data management isn’t a drain on our resources and budgets.”
Disaster recovery right at hand
BGC’s wide range of products and services drives a massive volume of data—including mailboxes, construction records, and manufacturing specifications. Unexpected natural disasters like flooding and fire could pose a serious disruption to the business if the disaster recovery strategy was not ready. For example, compliance regulations require the company to keep construction projects extended warranties for more than seven years.
“Some of the restores were not valid with the legacy solutions. I had to constantly take samples for the backups and spent time in recovery testing. It was a huge concern,” said Lerch. “Seeing how our data is growing exponentially each year, it would be a disaster managing our future data without Commvault.”
Thanks to Commvault Complete Data Protection, BGC simplified the process to monitor disaster recovery via the analytic tools embedded within Commvault Command Center. This enabled BGC to easily verify if the lost data has been properly recovered every time.
“Using Commvault to conduct our testing for disaster recovery and migration of workloads gave us confidence that we have totally secure backups and can recover data anytime, but without failure,” said Lerch. “Compliance is also important for our business and Commvault helps us cover this well.”
Saving time managing backups and recovery by tenfold
With strategic advice from Commvault Partner Lumen IT, the transition to Commvault Complete Data Protection was simple and straightforward.
“Commvault data protection simply matched 99% of our environment, so that’s a big bonus,” said Lerch. “With the move to Commvault, we didn’t need to modify our processes or take much additional training. The documentation is also easy to follow.”
Lerch and his team can now focus on more productive work for the business, such as migration and system upgrades. This helped to cut time spent on data management by almost 10x.
“Data is the lifeblood of the business. You can’t underestimate the benefit of a reliable, timely data backup and recovery,” said Lerch.