Accelerate your cloud data migration: Three key steps
Wondering how to jump-start your move to the cloud? You’re not alone! Whether it’s to adapt to an increasingly remote workforce, reduce costs, or improve business agility and decision-making, the cloud offers tremendous opportunities for your organization.
STEP 1 – Explore cloud storage options
Before you start moving data, make sure you’ve got a clear understanding of your needs. What are the main drivers for your project? What cloud or clouds do you need to consider for your use cases?
Are you extending your existing on-premises storage with cloud? Do you need to find a better way to run and back up critical applications via Amazon® AWS™, Microsoft® Azure™ or Google® Cloud Platform™? Does your organization need fast, reliable disaster recovery for your virtual environments?Determine the best options for your cloud storage, working with your services partner, data protection partner and cloud partner.
STEP 2 – Prioritize what data moves to the cloud
Now determine what data needs to move to the cloud to fulfill your use case. Ask important questions with your team:
- How will you prioritize and tier data based on departmental and overall business needs?
- What are the technologies you’ll need to support – SaaS and cloud native applications, hypervisors, storage options, large files, databases?
- When does the data need to move? Is it needed immediately to fulfill a product innovation requirement?
STEP 3 – Evaluate options for cloud data migration and protection
Now that you have an agreed strategy, it’s time to consider the software to help you with cloud data migration. Consider some lessons learned:
- Avoid point solutions that increase infrastructure and management costs
- Clean and dedupe data before migration for a more efficient network transfer and more cost-effective cloud storage environment
- Tier data within your cloud storage platforms so you’re paying the best price for each type of data
- Encrypt data for transfer and at rest to help ensure security
Accelerate cloud data migration: Get started today
The key to cloud data migration success is to have a coordinated, collaborative strategy in place.
When you’re clear on the best way to proceed, the migration itself can be a fairly simple and straightforward process to execute.
If you need help designing your cloud data migration strategy or discussing your cloud data protection needs, Commvault is here to help. Reach out and let’s get started.
Ready for more?
Don’t stop here! Check out these other great resources from Commvault to prepare for your migration:
- A checklist for cloud data management
- Multi-cloud data management: 5 steps to streamline the work
- Managing your cloud data with Commvault
- Case Study: UST Global working with multi-cloud data management
1 DC FutureScape: Worldwide Cloud 2020 Predictions, Nov 2019