INFINIDAT InfiniBox and the Commvault Data Platform
A comprehensive data protection solution for petabyte-scale workloads
Commvault® Data Platform
Businesses today — particularly those with large data requirements — need a flexible and scalable method for protecting their application data, one that understands applications and how to make production ready copies of their data for backup and restore, development and test, patching and modification, or any other use case deemed valuable to the organization.
They need the ability to automate the creation, cataloging, mapping, bringing online/offline, and restoring from these duplicates. In the past, all of these tasks required creating and maintaining manual scripts that understood every application in use, along with any tools necessary to accomplish each task.
The Commvault® Data Platform, in conjunction with the INFINIDAT InfiniBox™ automates each of these tasks, eliminating the need to create, test, and continuously update custom scripts. The Commvault® Data Platform is an enterprise level, integrated data protection and management solution, built from the ground up on a single platform and unified code base.
The InfiniBox™ represents a new class of hyper-storage that offers unprecedented levels of performance, reliability, scale, ease of use, and cost savings to the enterprise. It’s a highly innovative, multi-patented, storage software solution that runs on a high availability hardware configuration.
InfiniBox is a Tier 0/1 performance platform that’s also capable of supporting backup and archive implementations. It is available at capacities and a cost differential that extends features such as backup and archive to Tier 2/3 use cases. Paired with the Commvault® Data Platform, the combined solution is extremely compelling.
A single data protection solution for large enterprise storage and management
As business data continues to grow at a record pace, traditional backup and copy methodologies are not sufficient to keep data current. Leveraging snapshot technology to ensure the currency of business data is of vital importance to a company’s bottom line. INFINIDAT InfiniSnap™ technology, leveraged by the Commvault® Data Platform, helps ensure that your data is more current than with any other vendor’s snapshot feature.
With deep integration into INFINIDAT’s high-performance storage arrays, the Commvault Data Platform will enable you to protect your data workloads across all architectures — on premises, within virtual infrastructures, and in the cloud, helping to increase your business agility, IT efficiency, and reliability. It provides the petabyte-scale market with a single, modern data protection solution that affords unmatched performance and reliability, supporting business critical applications and enabling stringent backup and recovery performance service level agreements (SLAs).
A passion for innovation
The affinities between the Commvault® Data Platform and InfiniBox™ are born of a similar passion for innovation. Both have comprehensive feature sets offering synergies with each other. One example is between the Commvault IntelliSnap® and INFINIDAT InfiniSnap™ technologies.
Commvault IntelliSnap® technology is extensively integrated with the applications that run your business — from Oracle to VMware to Microsoft to many others. It understands how to snapshot data with application consistency and the ability to restore down to the table level — two essential elements in keeping your data current. It does this by leveraging the snapshot technology in the underlying storage array — the most efficient, most reliable method for protecting your data. But all storage arrays are not created equal. To provide the highest level of protection and currency to your data, the implementation of snapshots for your storage matters greatly.
InfiniSnap™ is a patented, non-locking, snapshot technology that uses timestamps to eliminate the inherent scalability and performance issues common with snapshots from other vendors. Metadata, for volumes and snapshot operations, is maintained with a highly efficient implementation of a Trie Tree — the same data structure employed by Google’s search engine. The use of the Trie Tree allows for nearly limitless scalability of data operations. This means that your business can conduct snapshots for all of its data, at any frequency, with ZERO impact on the performance of the array during the snapshot and all subsequent I/O operations. INFINIDAT innovation ensures that your data, at any point in time, is always available and always current.
Because of deep integration with InfiniBox™, Commvault is able to work on both the source and destination snaps on primary protection copies, integrated with Commvault deduplication technology. This represents a tremendous value to enterprise customers who are looking for new, more impactful opportunities for infrastructure consolidation and cost savings.
Data protection for the future
Commvault and INFINIDAT have collaborated on a verified solution that combines the features of the InfiniBox with industry-leading Commvault® software. This proven combination of technologies enables mutual customers to quickly realize the value of simple and efficient backup and recovery operations. At the end of the day, with the Commvault® Data Platform and INFINIDAT InfiniBox™, your organization gains a competitive advantage over your business peers and your data has the currency required to move your business forward at all times.
Commvault® Data Platform
A complete and fully-scalable data protection solution supporting all major operating systems, applications, and databases
- Commvault’s Virtual Server Agent (VSA) supports all major hypervisors and platforms (including VMware, Hyper-V, Citrix, XEN, Amazon, Azure, and many others) and physical servers, as well as NAS shares, hybrid and cloud-based infrastructures, and mobile devices
- Simplified management through the Commvault Command Center™
- Multiple protection methods including backup and archive, IntelliSnap® snapshot management, replication, and content indexing for eDiscovery
- Policy-based data management, transcending limitations of legacy backup products by managing data based on business needs instead of physical location
- Performance exceeding All-Flash arrays
- Reliability at orders of magnitude better than legacy monolithic arrays
- Densities and capacities that maximize floor space and consolidation efforts
- Ease of use that significantly reduces the petabyte (PB) per full-time employee (FTE) management ratio
- Economy of scale that dramatically lowers total cost of ownership (TCO) and increases return on investment (ROI) for large-scale, data-intensive IT operations
INFINIDAT InfiniSnap™ Snapshots At A Glance
Every INFINIDAT InfiniBox™ includes InfiniSnap™ capability for snapshots. InfiniSnap provides:
- Massive scalability, up to 100,000 snapshots per system
- No performance impact, regardless of snapshot frequency
- Ability to support dozens of snapshots per second with no performance impact
- Thin by default, requiring nearly zero additional capacity
- “Fast Overwrite” in-memory updates avoids unnecessary backend I/O and latency penalties common in systems requiring frequent destaging
- When destaging is required, InfiniRaid™ is employed to optimize massively parallel I/O operations across all available media capacity
Benefits of INFINIDAT InfiniSnap with the Commvault® Data Platform
- A single, unified hardware and software solution
- Hardware and software that can be tightly integrated
- Reduced risk and improved total cost of ownership (TCO)
- Enables high-performance SLAs, for enhanced data protection and improved business outcomes