Imagine leading security and data protection operations as Chief Information Security Officer (CISO) at a global enterprise when a storm of calls and instant messages erupts your morning routine. A relentless AI-driven attack has taken over devices, systems, and networks – threatening your data.
As the field of artificial intelligence continues to advance, there’s a growing concern about the misuse of AI by cybercriminals to execute advanced attacks. AI-based threats have the potential to be more sophisticated, adaptive, and damaging than traditional attacks. To counteract this evolving risk landscape, businesses must adopt a cyber resilience strategy that embraces innovative approaches. Commvault® Cloud, powered by Metallic ® AI, is the cyber resilience platform for protecting your data and delivering business continuity amidst ever-evolving cyber threats. Combat AI-driven attacks with a platform that is purpose-built to enable true, cloud cyber resilience for the hybrid world, delivering the best security, highest intelligence, and fastest recovery — across cloud, on-prem, and SaaS workloads.
Cybercriminals leverage AI in various ways and explore further enhancements to increase their attack capabilities. For example:
- Advanced phishing and social engineering
Generative AI empowers bad actors to automate fraudulent activities, such as crafting of phishing mails, generating fake social media accounts, reviews, and comments, impersonating service and support agents, and carrying out scams. Massive datasets of stolen credentials and personal data can be analyzed in seconds to enhance phishing and social engineering campaigns.
- Adaptive malware and botnet generation
AI-driven malware and botnets that shapeshift during attack stages expose exponential risk to IT and security teams by evolving in real-time to avoid security measures, identify vulnerabilities in target systems, and coordinate attacks more efficiently than human-generated threats. A growing concern in cybersecurity is related to AI-generated malware capable of bypass traditional signature-based defenses.
- Zero-day exploits and supply chain attacks
Threat actors are creatively hiding malicious code and zero-day exploits from defenders to widen the attack distribution and extend the blast radius. For example, hiding malicious payload inside an AI model that is built to fulfill legitimate functions such as biometric authentication. In another scenario attackers can manipulate AI to learn algorithms of threat intrusion systems and evade their detection.
- Credential stuffing and brute-force attacks
By automating the process of gaining unauthorized access to business accounts and systems through stolen credentials and common password combinations AI speeds up the attack itself. Additionally, machine learning algorithms are utilized to evade security detection systems and AI-driven tools accelerate password cracking by analyzing patterns in leaked password databases.
- Deepfake attacks
Videos and audio generated by AI impersonate familiar voices and faces to manipulate individuals into performing actions that grant access to sensitive data, systems, and funds. The technology behind deepfakes creates convincing audio and images with minimal input gathered via social media or other public platforms.
AI has the power to amplify the impact and the complexity of cyberattacks increasing potential damage and risks to your data estates. Commvault helps you to address uncertainty by combining cutting edge data protection technology with strong cybersecurity measures in alignment with regulatory frameworks to invest in proper cyber resilience and detection mechanisms that keeps your data protected.
Spotting Threats Early
ThreatWise, our cyber deception service integrated in the Commvault Cloud that layer’s defenses along the path to your data, shielding it from AI-driven attacks, and surfacing threat actors that are targeting the most valuable assets in production – your data. This early warning layer enables your organization to adopt a cyber resilience strategy defending your data against tomorrows threat actors:
- Limit the blast radius of an incident and divert the threat sooner – before it’s time to recover. ThreatWise alerts key business stakeholders upon first touch while simultaneously luring attackers in and away from actual critical assets, forcing them to waste resources.
- Spot the attacker and gather insights about utilized tactics, techniques, and procedures across the complete kill chain. By revealing the original source of the AI-driven attack the symptoms and cause of it can be remediated to stop its aggravation.
- Delay attacks by confusing and misleading attackers’ algorithms. ThreatWise feeds AI-driven threats fake tokens leading to deceptive data that is making it harder to automate and execute attacks while wasting threat actors’ time.
- ThreatWise detection is highly accurate, because it’s not reliant on signatures to identify malicious activity, spotting zero-day attacks, shape shifting malware, and silent threats across workloads and data estates.
- Maximize your response time by automating the alteration of key stakeholders across the business and ease coordination of your recovery to limit impact.
Keeping pace with evolving threats
For more information about how Commvault helps you unleash the power of AI without skyrocketing costs read this blog.