Commvault and AWS for EHR data protection
Enhance your EHR data protection strategy with the cloud
Electronic Health Record (EHR) data is the lifeblood of the healthcare provider organization, and is equally critical to your business, your caregivers, and your patients. It helps clinicians deliver efficient, cost-effective care. And it lays the foundation for healthcare’s data-driven transformation.
With so much riding on the availability and security of this data, protecting and managing your EHR and its data requires proven, cost-effective solutions that also help you defend against threats like ransomware while positioning you to derive maximum value from this data.
Commvault for EHR data protection, with native integration to Amazon Web Services (AWS), offers healthcare providers a seamless way to make the cloud a part of their EHR data protection strategy -while helping reduce costs, improve agility, and increase scalability.
Key benefits of Commvault and AWS for EHR data protection
- Minimize system downtime with multi-threaded backups and restores designed for optimal speed and performance
- Restore confidently, quickly and accurately – from any location – should data be compromised by ransomware or other cyberattack with autonomous, one-button restore
- Realize on-demand scalability to accommodate growing healthcare data volume
- Increase agility and flexibility to optimize compute power and ensure the right compute infrastructure to derive meaning from the data
- Transition away from the physical data center business by relying on the secure, scalable, and cost-effective AWS Cloud environment
- Reduce costs by leveraging configurable AWS lifecycle policies to effectively tier data storage to adhere to your internal and external data management requirements
- Enjoy a single view to all of your data through the Commvault administrative console, regardless of where the data is stored
- Simplicity of a secure integrated solution that is GDPR-ready and complies with HIPAA
Why Commvault for EHR data protection
Commvault is a recognized leader in the backup and recovery space. For seven years running, Gartner has positioned Commvault furthest on completeness of vision on their Magic Quadrant for Data Center Backup and Recovery Solutions.
Commvault has been recognized by leading EHR vendors. For example:
- Epic has validated the Commvault reference architecture and has given Commvault the highest rating in all three categories for data backup and recovery solutions: comfort level for Epic databases, comfort level for other Epic workloads, and prevalence in Epic customer base
- MEDITECH has certified Commvault for use with its EHR
- InterSystems has designated Commvault as a “preferred” backup and recovery solution and is “highly recommended” by the vendor
Commvault offers a fast, simple, and comprehensive solution that’s purpose-built to help protect critical patient data, regardless of what EHR or EHRs it resides within.
- Protect against ransomware and other cyber threats with the help of one-button restores.
- Break down data silos and make it easier to cost-effectively deploy innovative clinical data management strategies.
- Run the backup process more efficiently, helping to minimize EHR system downtime and data disruption and achieve your recovery time and point objectives (RTO/RPO).
In fact, Commvault customers are able to cut annual unplanned downtime by more than 62%. And with native integration to AWS makes getting started with the cloud simple and straightforward.
Commvault EHR data protection: how it works
Powered by Commvault Intellisnap® snapshot technology, Commvault is designed to minimize EHR downtime and disruption to your clinical operations. Providing a layer of intelligence between storage and applications, it ensures snapshot data integrity, executes policies and schedules, automates array discovery, and indexes and catalogs snapshot data – bringing simplicity, integration and control to the way you handle snapshots. Commvault provides robust error reporting throughout the entire backup and restore stack; and since Commvault is built on a single platform, there’s on support number to call for resolution.
AWS for healthcare providers
Healthcare providers around the world are using AWS to deliver improved care to their patients. AWS reduces the time and effort required to run existing workloads, and also provides access to powerful new analytics capabilities, all while meeting the security and data privacy requirements (like HIPAA, HITRUST and GDPR) that you expect. You can save resources by using affordable archiving solutions, save space in your hospital by putting your backup servers in the cloud, and take advantage of new ways to analyze and manage patient information in your hospital information systems.
Efficiently deliver care
Healthcare providers are dealing with multiple pressures that are impacting the bottom line. AWS helps solve this problem by offering services that are pay-as-you-go, with no minimum spend requirements, long-term contracts, or technical lock-in.
Improve your security and compliance posture
By running on AWS, you gain access to an environment built for the world’s most secure organizations. In addition, AWS makes security easier by managing over 1800 security controls so that you don’t have to.
Broad cloud-based ecosystem
AWS can help connect you with the right resources to implement your project. In addition to support offered directly by AWS, the AWS Partner Network (APN) includes technology and consulting partners covering a wide range of applications, and the AWS Marketplace offers healthcare software you deploy with one click.