Commvault EHR Data Protection for MEDITECH
Simplify protection and management of critical patient data using Commvault IntelliSnap® Technology
With the extraordinary amount of protected health information (PHI) being created and stored on MEDITECH electronic health records (EHR) systems, healthcare organizations are using Commvault® IntelliSnap technology to replace legacy data protection solutions. IntelliSnap technology seamlessly captures, protects and backs up EHR data, harnessing the power of array-based snapshots to:
- Seamlessly capture and protect MEDITECH data in seconds
- Recover clinical data with flexible recovery options at the hardware level or for a single file
- Maximize the value of hardware investments with snapshot and recovery operations across a wide range of storage platforms
- Improve business continuity and mitigate risk of PHI loss with instant protection and recovery
- Leverage real-time reporting capabilities for disaster recovery planning
- Reduce cost and maximize IT resources
A single hour of EHR downtime can cost more than $400K a day for a hospital with 100 providers. (1)
Nearly 80 percent of today's physicians use electronic health records (EHR). (1)
Ransomware accounted for 72 percent of healthcare malware attacks in 2016. (2)
Focusing on patient care
MEDITECH provides an innovative electronic health records system to empower clinicians to provide high quality, efficient care at a lower cost. With one integrated EHR, healthcare organizations can more effectively treat the entire patient population with access to a single, real-time patient record.
Key aspects of EHR deployments are to maintain compliance with regulations, meet data retention guidelines and protect and recover PHI from potential security incidents. To accomplish this, healthcare organizations are replacing legacy technology with innovative data protection and recovery solutions that incorporate cloud, virtualization, archive, file sync and sharing capabilities.
Commvault IntelliSnap Technology
Commvault IntelliSnap technology is an industry-leading solution for snapshot management that streamlines and simplifies complex processes, making snapshots more valuable and effective at protecting and recovering data and applications.
Healthcare is transforming. With mountains of information at their fingertips, providers have new and exciting opportunities to innovate the next wave of patient care, operational advances and differentiation. Welcome to data-driven healthcare.
- Automated snapshot management – A modernized approach to data protection that merges storage system hardware snapshots directly into the data protection process.
- Orchestrated operational recovery – Intuitive search and granular recovery within and across snapshots.
- Streamlined replication and accelerated test and development operations – Simplify disaster recovery and test/dev environments by managing array-based replication and the creation of writable snapshot copies.
- Truly unified protection and recovery from primary storage to archive – Combine all tiers of protection into a common interface with a single window for management, operations, reporting and alerting.
IntelliSnap technology centralizes snapshot management across different storage platforms; automates object, application, and database recovery; and integrates snapshots with backup processes. The tight coupling of snapshots with data protection and recovery operations enables Commvault software to provide a complete view into data across applications, devices, and locations, cutting administrative overhead and improving access, availability and IT efficiency.
Commvault’s IntelliSnap Technology – The Solution for MEDITECH EHR DATA
|Commvault IntelliSnap||Healthcare Challenges||Features|
|X||Improve business continuity and disaster recovery|| • Data resource management and application recovery with multiple snapshots throughout the day|
• Centralized, unified management, recovery operations across systems, applications and sites
• Restore entire file systems and databases within moments of failure without administrative intervention
• Multiple recovery options with different retention setting on different storage tiers
Comprehensive data protection
| • Flexible IT infrastructure for data protection across physical and virtual servers|
• VMs are automatically assigned to new protection policies
|X||Increase storage efficiency and security|| • Embedded compression and deduplication software minimizes network traffic and reduces storage footprint|
• Comprehensive software and hardware encryption
|X||Meet regulatory and compliance guidelines|| • Long-term archiving|
• Create retention copies with recovery from any snapshot, backup or archive copy
Commvault MEDITECH Data Protection solution components
Integrated disaster recovery
The minimum required protection level for MEDITECH systems is to take a simultaneous quiesced snapshot of all SAN volumes containing database drives on the MEDITECH File Servers. This provides point-in-time restore capabilities for the various databases while the snapshots are still on the array(s). Administrators can choose to replicate the snapshots to a secondary array, using built-in replication on the SAN or Commvault-managed replication.
Integrated serverless backup
Commvault and MEDITECH recommend that customers create a backup copy of the data from the initial snapshot. IntelliSnap technology automatically creates a copy of the data on disk, tape, or cloud for recovery purposes for cases when the snapshot(s) are no longer available.
Commvault IntelliSnap – unified protection & recovery for MEDITECH EHR
- Adoption of Electronic Health Record Systems among U.S. Non-Federal Acute Care Hospitals: 2008–2014.
- Ransomware accounted for 72% of healthcare malware attacks in 2016, Healthcare IT News, 2017.
- HIMSS Analytics Cybersecurity Future Proofing Healthcare Survey 2017.