Enterprise data protection for healthcare and life sciences
Commvault and Amazon Web Services (AWS) provide secure data management aligned to industry requirements
A single platform for data protection, backup, and recovery
Commvault Complete™ Backup & Recovery helps Healthcare and Life Sciences organizations:
- Administer, protect, and access data across hybrid IT environments.
- Consolidate disparate systems to enable a single view for all data.
- Manage storage costs effectively.
- Simplify data migration from on-premises to tiered cloud storage.
- View indexed data within AWS alongside data from other environments.
Healthcare and Life Sciences organizations need scalable, flexible data management tools for increasing data volumes governed by complex business and regulatory requirements.
Commvault and Amazon Web Services (AWS) simplify your ability to access scalable and secure data management tools. This seamless extension to cloud services supports the constantly-evolving data management requirements specific to Healthcare and Life Sciences.
- Improves your ability to efficiently manage data by allowing data transfers between on-premises environments and AWS.
- Provides scalable cloud data storage with reduced costs compared to tape backup and expensive on-premises infrastructures.
- Includes full integration with AWS helps to accelerate organizational initiatives such as precision medicine, machine learning, and analytics.
A large non-profit health plan organization consisting of more than 1,000 employees and 440,000 members needed to lower costs by moving a large part of its infrastructure to the cloud. The organization elected to move all of its application data to Amazon Web Services (AWS) to optimize data center space, manage business more efficiently, and benefit from lower total cost of ownership.
The organization’s previous backup and recovery solution had proven unable to keep up with demand. Appliances were overloaded since data was inefficiently deduplicated. Adding further frustration was the fact that the old solution was unable to execute granular backups of their Oracle databases, necessitating frequent full backups.
The appeal of Commvault and AWS
Commvault takes a vendor-independent approach to data management, allowing customers to work with any infrastructure vendor or solution they choose, while managing all enterprise data via a single platform.
Commvault’s consulting team demonstrated to the customer that its data management platform seamlessly integrates with AWS. With its deployment of Commvault, the organization now has an improved operational expense model, full integration with AWS, and improved security capabilities.
- Specific Oracle short-term backup data replicated to Amazon EBS from on- premises locations to facilitate faster restores before being moved to Amazon S3—and eventually to Amazon Glacier—for long-term cost-saving storage.
- Production workloads running on AWS protected using the same criticality objectives as the on-premises workloads, providing the customer with a single pane of glass and a single set of data management parameters.
- Development of an archive policy that will free up expensive disk space by leveraging Commvault converged processes for backup and archiving in conjunction with AWS.
Healthcare and Life Sciences organizations typically see immediate benefits with Commvault and AWS, including high availability, reduction of backup-related downtime and disruption, and the ability to scale quickly. Longer-term benefits include lower storage infrastructure costs. Additionally, organizations typically find that they are better protected against outages and ransomware attacks.
Commvault and AWS
Commvault helps approximately 2,000 healthcare organizations worldwide protect and manage their data. Commvault integrated with AWS offers specialized solutions to help providers protect electronic health record (EHR) data, manage medical images across the enterprise, and migrate data from legacy IT systems.
A reliable data management solution
From a single platform, Commvault can help you manage, move, and use data across files, applications, databases, hypervisors, and the cloud.
Commvault helps Healthcare and Life Sciences organizations administer, protect, and access data across hybrid environments. The platform allows administrators to manage disparate systems through a single view, reducing costs while helping you manage an ever-increasing amount of information. Commvault can also help you more quickly stand up environments to perform analytics on clinical data to support efforts such as population health management.
Since implementing Commvault software, the relationship we have with our data has changed dramatically. We understand our data better than ever, we have better visibility and access to our data and the data protection process itself has become easier and more reliableDavid Boone, Operations and Server Manager Denver Health
Commvault stood out as the only solution built from the ground up to deliver enterprise-level data protection that matched our business practices. Commvault’s single pane of glass and intuitive GUI were as important as its cutting-edge feature set.Clint Monchamp, Enterprise Storage Engineer Prime Healthcare
Endorsed by leading Healthcare and Life Sciences organization
Many large healthcare providers trust Commvault with their data, such as Johns Hopkins Medicine, Prime Healthcare Services, Royal Cornwall Hospitals NHS Trust, and UC San Diego Health.
The Commvault EHR Data Protection solution has been developed in partnership with leading EHR vendors and can protect data from any EHR. For example, it has been certified by MEDITECH and was designated as “Preferred” by InterSystems. Commvault has been named an industry leader in the Gartner Magic Quadrant for Enterprise Backup Software and Integrated Appliances for seven years in a row, and was recognized as a Leader in The Forrester Wave™: Data Resiliency Solutions Q3 2017 report.