Preparing for AWS re:Invent 2013 – Get the Most Out of your Time in the Cloud
CommVault is a first-time sponsor this year at Amazon Web Services (AWS) re:Invent 2013 conference, and it’s safe to say the November 12-15 event is shaping up to be huge — registration has sold out and there is a considerable amount of buildup. Additionally, AWS along with its customers and partners will have more than 175 sessions, training boot camps, and hands-on labs that delve into all aspects of leveraging the Amazon Cloud to transform IT.
As I prepare for my flight to Vegas, I’d like to highlight some events you should attend and preview what CommVault has in store for AWS re: Invent. If you’re also attending (and we hope you are!), you won’t want to miss this.
Some notable events at re:Invent include:
- The all-day Hackathon on November 12th, where for the first time, developers, AWS engineers and other “cloud ninjas” will team up to hack on big problems and experiment with new cloud services for worthy causes.
- Gameday, also on the 12th, is for DevOps warriors will be challenged to design cloud infrastructures that can withstand outages and attacks. Bragging rights will definitely be on the line.
- Training Bootcamps, also on the 12th, where AWS Solutions Architects and other subject-matter experts will hold formal, hands-on sessions covering particular aspects of AWS in greater detail.
- And there are also the after-hours events to look forward to like the Pub Crawl and Intel’s re:Play party on the 13th and 14th, respectively.
Check out the full agenda here.
There’s a First Time for Everything
This is our first year attending and our booth (#730) is just steps away from the breakout sessions, so please drop by as you make your way in and out of the different tracks. I love to hear how organizations are leveraging cloud infrastructures within their overall IT strategies, and we’ll have a contingent of experts there to talk cloud, answer questions and discuss how Simpana 10 brings singular, scalable data protection to our customers and partners.
As for how we work with Amazon, CommVault is an early supporter of Amazon Glacier, and has been integrated with S3 since Simpana 8. To learn more about our joint capabilities prior to your arrival at re:Invent, check out our Solution Brief, which covers CommVault’s and Amazon’s joint capabilities. We’ll also be demonstrating the full data management capabilities of Simpana software, including CommVault Edge, which supports end-user access on a range of mobile devices, including recently added support for Kindle Fire.
To share what you learn about cloud data protection from our booth or stay in touch with what others are saying, here are some hashtags to follow and tweet throughout the event: #AWSreinvent #CommVault #Simpana #NTAP
Sessions Worth Attending
With a full spectrum of speakers on web, mobile, gaming, Big Data, HPC, and enterprise IT, I’m looking forward to sitting in on a number of sessions at the event. In particular, I’m excited for:
- STG304--Maximizing Amazon S3 Performance: As an AWS technology partner, our CommVault solution architects will find this advanced session on 11/15 to be a valuable resource to learn how to enhance S3 cloud performance by implementing best practices. This will help us stay on top of helping our clients build secure, scalable, cost-effective S3 based solutions.
- STG402 – Advanced EBS Snapshot Management: This session will cover snapshot capabilities and new OSS tools for lifecycle management within the AWS cloud on 11/14. We are looking forward to hearing fresh ideas on how organizations are using advanced snapshot management to further improve protection and recovery SLAs and combat massive data growth.
A “Passport” to Giveaways
We have some exciting giveaways to offer at our booth. With Amazon hosting this industry-leading event and the new launch of the Kindle Fire HDX, it seems only appropriate that we raffle off a Kindle Fire HDX daily. Stop by our booth and enter to win instantly! Terms and conditions apply.
How awesome would it be to win two Kindle Fires in one day? Our partner, NetApp, can help make this a reality! We’re excited to be one of NetApp’s Passport Partners at the show. Get a “passport” at NetApp booth #301, then stop by CommVault at #730 and other NetApp cloud partners, to receive stamps and be entered to win a free Kindle Fire. Our booth staff will be on hand to discuss NetApp and CommVault solutions for modern data protection and archiving to the cloud. Swing by our booth to say hi, learn more about CommVault or brag about your notable hacking abilities—and there just might be an extra something special waiting for you when you arrive.
Some No-Nonsense Advice: Don’t Gamble with Your Cloud Infrastructure
At CommVault, our team members are certainly no strangers to the fun that Vegas has to offer. There are countless opportunities to party, attend a show, and place some wagers (and it’s entirely possible you may spot us doing all three)!
Of course, with all the Vegas fun and choices, here’s a quick word of advice: make sure your bets are in the casino – not in your cloud infrastructure. We tend to think gambling on secure, scalable cloud data protection isn’t the right time or place for all of that risky business. If you’re attending re:Invent in Vegas and want to bet on singular cloud solutions that raise your organization’s bottom line, be sure to place your money on CommVault!