Store, protect and migrate containers
By 2025, 85% of global enterprises will be running containerized applications in production.1
Here to stay.
Containers enable application modernization because they’re lightweight, faster, and more programmable than VMs. Yet, challenges remain around storage provisioning, data protection, and mobility across hybrid multi-cloud locations.
Ideally, you want a single data management solution for your containerized, traditional, cloud-native, PaaS, and SaaS applications. It should enable enterprise scale, resilience, and application mobility without compromising on the agility containers provide to developers.
Simplify your container strategy with Commvault
With hybrid cloud-native software-defined storage and complete data protection – fully integrated with Kubernetes via CSI – Commvault provides the most comprehensive and flexible portfolio of solutions for containers.
Store, protect, and migrate your K8s applications wherever they live across hybrid multi-cloud environments.
Metallic VM & Kubernetes Backup delivers powerful data protection with the simplicity of BaaS.
Sign up for a free trial of Kubernetes backups.
What is CSI, and why should I care?
The Container Storage Interface (CSI) is a plugin for K8s that allows storage arrays to be consumed by containerized applications as persistent storage. Using CSI, K8s developers can dynamically provision storage, expand capacity, schedule snapshots, and recover persistent volumes using array-specific capabilities.
Commvault provides persistent storage for stateful applications
Containers were initially stateless meaning the data goes away when the container does. Over time, stateful applications (like databases) that require storage that lives (i.e., persists) after the container goes away migrated to containers.
DevOps need the ability to provision persistent storage quickly with self-service access using native K8s tools.
Commvault distributed storage integrates natively with K8s via CSI, providing storage that is:
- Application-centric– Turn on and off capabilities (e.g., dedupe) per application
- Programmable– Integration with Git and K8s via CSI allows you to use existing tools
- Scalable anywhere–Distributed storage enables next gen storage regardless of where apps live across multi-cloud environments
of orgs say programmable storage via APIs is the most important technology for their containers initiatives. Commvault Distributed Storage is programmable by design.2
Flexibility through integration
Commvault software-defined storage gives you flexibility by natively integrating with the following container platforms.
Do containers need to be protected? applications
Stateless containers don’t need to be protected, but stateful applications, as well as source code, CI/CD systems, and container image registries must be protected. Commvault CompleteTM Data Protection protects all your K8s (and non K8s) applications and data, providing application-centric protection that is:
- Comprehensive – Commvault protects any CNCF-certified K8s distribution, K8s application with or without persistent data, and data inside and outside your K8s cluster, including the ability to perform full backups and restores of Azure DevOps and GitHub repositories
- Cloud-native – Commvault integrates with K8s and CSI for snapshot-based protection of stateful applications, enabling faster recoveries in the event of a disaster or ransomware attack
- Centrally managed – Commvault supports backup, DR, long-term retention, governance, and compliance from a single console so you can manage your K8s applications and non K8s data from conception to retirement
average number of methods in use to protect stateful apps in K8s.3
Orgs using same data protection solution for containers and non-containerized apps.3
Orgs wanting a unified data protection solution for containers and non-conainerized.3
Commvault provides a single solution to help you protect ALL your K8s apps.
What is the CNCF?
CNCF is the Cloud Native Computing Foundation.
It helps build sustainable ecosystems for cloud-native software and serves as the vendor-neutral home for many of the fastest-growing open source projects, including Kubernetes.
CNCF maintains the CNCF Landscape, the go-to resource for cloud-native developers.
Migration made simple
Organizations need application mobility to support the development and extension of modern hybrid multi-cloud web-scale applications. Development includes migration from development to test, and finally production. These environments no longer reside in one place. To address this, Commvault delivers:
- Application mobility – Seamlessly migrate your applications and data where you need them across on-premises and multiple cloud locations
- Cluster consolidation – Reduce the complexity caused by K8s cluster sprawl by consolidating your clusters using application mobility to bring your applications together
- Lifecycle management – As you upgrade and refresh your K8s clusters and cloud-native storage, leverage application mobility to seamlessly migrate your applications to new technology
of organizations use a hybrid cloud approach for their containerized applications for dev/test (63%), production (60%) and business continuity/disaster recovery (64%).3
Metallic VM & Kubernetes Backup delivers powerful data protection with the simplicity of BaaS, and get Free Kubernetes for 6 months.
Commvault Complete™ Data Protection, enterprise-grade container protection and flexibility plus advanced features make sure you’re ready for anything.
Talk it out with a human
1. Best Practices for Running Containers and Kubernetes in Production – 4 Aug 2020 – Gartner ID G00730344
2. Commvault booth survey of 277 respondents from KubeCon Europe, May 2021
3. ESG Research Survey Commissioned by Commvault, Trends in Kubernetes Protection, April 2021