At Commvault, we consider the natural environment as a key stakeholder of our business
We recognize that everyone has a role to play in creating a sustainable world – including our business. That is why we actively support the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) as a universal call to action to end poverty, protect the environment and ensure that all people have equal access to social justice and prosperity.
In FY 2020, we solidified this commitment by signing on as part of the SDG Business Avengers Coalition, formally joining 16 industry giants dedicated to driving awareness, collaboration, and action within the private sector to achieve the SDGs by 2030.
We make conscious and collaborative decisions to pursue corporate sustainability throughout our business operations and strive to inspire others to do the same
In 2019, our Commvault Going Green initiative helped to reduce our cafeteria waste by removing single-use bottles, cutlery and cups, resulting in an annual avoidance of:
plastic bottles (replaced by compostable, aluminum or glass alternative
pressed paper cafe trays
tons of landfilled waste
Greenhouse gas emissions
In addition to energy efficiency initiatives in our facilities, we implement strategic work policies that enable employee flexibility while reducing our greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions
Employee travel has
decreased over 23%
since 2017, enabling us to conserve valuable resources while mitigating our carbon footprint.
*Based on the total number of employee trips by air, rail, bus, taxi, rental vehicles and hired car service.
- We encourage employees to work from wherever they are most productive and to use technology to stay connected with our team and our customers virtually.
- We promote the use of mass transit, ride sharing and cycle to work programs to mitigate the use of fossil fuels.
- We run an our annual Commvault GO User Conference to be as environmentally-conscious as possible, decreasing our footprint by implementing responsible consumption, local sourcing, and reusable materials. We are also leveraging large scale digital events.
Implementing free cooling in our datacenter resulted in electricity savings of approximately
kilowatt hours in 2019, equivalent to:
An emissions avoidance of nearly 500 Metric Tons CO2 e
Annual emissions from 107 passenger vehicles
Enough electricity to power 84 homes for one year
Equivalencies sourced using United States Environmental Protection Agency Energy and the Environment Greenhouse Gas Equivalencies Calculator
One of the greatest impacts we can have is helping our customers manage their data more efficiently, decreasing the energy use, emissions and associated costs. We do this by:
- Reducing redundant, obsolete or trivial data
- Minimizing multiple copies of the same data
- Repurposing data for other uses
- Leveraging the cloud for disaster recovery
- Moving data to the more sustainable cloud environments
Storage locations (on-premises and cloud) require equipment that must be maintained and eventually phased out
Movement of data
The movement of data often relies on infrastructures that run on fossil fuels
Use of data
Decisions impacting the compute resources when making use of the data significantly drives energy consumption